Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How important is Band 48 (CBRS) support?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    “... Verizon’s policy for some time now has been to add CBRS to every cell site that its engineers touch...” https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...se-rootmetrics

This policy doesn’t yet seem to be the case where I live. Engineers have touched at least a handful of sites this year that I’ve seen - yet no Band 48 here yet.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk
    The equipment may be on there it's just not activated

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    “... Verizon’s policy for some time now has been to add CBRS to every cell site that its engineers touch...” https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...se-rootmetrics

This policy doesn’t yet seem to be the case where I live. Engineers have touched at least a handful of sites this year that I’ve seen - yet no Band 48 here yet.

Also in that article it states that the local engineers must get approval to NOT put it on a tower that they touch. That statement shows a pretty high level of commitment to CBRS on Verizon’s end (especially for capacity) so going forward I would not purchase a phone that didn’t have CBRS capabilities. I have seen a few articles referencing a 2 mile range but the articles weren’t clear if that was at the current power levels or if the power levels were increased.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Also in that article it states that the local engineers must get approval to NOT put it on a tower that they touch. That statement shows a pretty high level of commitment to CBRS on Verizon’s end (especially for capacity) so going forward I would not purchase a phone that didn’t have CBRS capabilities. I have seen a few articles referencing a 2 mile range but the articles weren’t clear if that was at the current power levels or if the power levels were increased.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Keep an eye in your market. Rootmetrics is finding a lot of CBRS deployed in the Pittsburgh area

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Keep an eye in your market. Rootmetrics is finding a lot of CBRS deployed in the Pittsburgh area
    I have seen the small CBRS units and the bigger what I am assuming are mmWave panels all over the place. I still have the XS Max so unfortunately I can’t take advantage of either yet. I’m holding out for the 5G iPhone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score

How important is Band 48 (CBRS) support?

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    If you are out network scouting, look for that tiny panel which will be mounted next to the larger ones. Casually looking at them most people might think it's an RRU mounted up there. They are actually a bit smaller than mmWave panels...
    These are 2 sites I took pictures of in late March...

The one above is a site that suffers from bad congestion - downloads rarely above 10 Mbps so B48 would help a lot.

Above is a brand new VZW site rebuilt from an old Cricket site. As of today it still hasn’t gone live though it appeared nearly complete in the late March photo. The shroud was placed over the panels and RRUs about a week after the photo was taken. No B48 that I can see.

Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Also in that article it states that the local engineers must get approval to NOT put it on a tower that they touch.
    Yes true but if Verizon and the engineers are still going to be held up by a problematic landlord not wanting to give permission, none of that matters.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    Prediction: By 2022 CBRS will be included in new residential and small business gateways. See the last 2 paragraphs: https://www.rcrwireless.com/20200713...rs-predictions I guess I'll hold off on getting a Wi-Fi 6E router next year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3