Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Trying to buy a phone for Elderly Brother don't want plan to auto renew

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lappers View Post
    How do you get an accessory (besides a sim or phone bundle) and an airtime purchase in the same cart to apply the code?

As far as I can see, accessories can't be bundled with airtime plans.
    My mistake then. I thought others had reported doing this.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    My mistake then. I thought others had reported doing this.
    It does work on accessories though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTechie View Post
    I got the phone today! It said free 2 day shipping and I got it in 24 hours! I'm charging it up and will take over later this afternoon and explain how to use thru the storm door.

Thanks for all the tips on this thread.
    I know why it will be thru the storm door. It's because your brother has cooties, right? Lol! Just kidding!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I know why it will be thru the storm door. It's because your brother has cooties, right? Lol! Just kidding!
    Because he refuses to stay home! He is like talking to a stubborn mule! He thinks he's ok cause he got a flu shot and a pneumonia shot. He gets a cough in the winter anyway and has to use an inhaler, he says he's fine! And my bad he doesn't have a storm door. We tried to do it outside but couldn't see with the glare, so I actually went in his house

I washed my hands a couple times and I pray I didn't pick anything up from him! But guys I couldn't get the data to work at his house. He had full signal bars but no 4g! It worked at my house, but I'm 30 minutes away. When I bought the phone I put in his zip code to make sure it would work there but I activated it at my house, different zip, wondered if that had anything to do with it working at my house but not at his? The phone works you can call and text just couldn't get on the internet with mobile data on.

BUT one of his neighbors had an open wifi so I connected him to that and he was good to go.

He was happy he was scrolling thru his email and looking up stock prices. He's always gonna buy stock, but I don't think he ever does, but it keeps him busy.

I hope it keeps working for him or the 4g comes on. I left both data and wifi on in the settings. I'll be hearing from him probably if not

Feedback Score
    The phone works you can call and text just couldn't get on the internet with mobile data on.:
    I had that same experience with my Moto E5 until I changed the APN to VZWINTERNET. I could talk and text, but no data. What was unusual was that this was a Tracfone branded Moto E5 that came with the wrong APN new out of the box. I ended up finding the solution on an old howardforums thread. BTW, thank you howardforums for that.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post
    I had that same experience with my Moto E5 until I changed the APN to VZWINTERNET. I could talk and text, but no data. What was unusual was that this was a Tracfone branded Moto E5 that came with the wrong APN new out of the box. I ended up finding the solution on an old howardforums thread. BTW, thank you howardforums for that.
    Yeah many of the Tracfone branded Samsung J3 Orbits and Tracfone J7 Crowns initially came like that with an APN of TRACFONE.VZWENTP instead of the correct and working VZWINTERNET out of the box. Was very annoying. I saw a lot of people complaining about data not working on various sites and many ended up returning the phones... having a relatively simple fix that many TF reps were apparently not aware of.

Name:  Capture+_2020-03-24-20-55-54.png
Views: 47
Size:  6.5 KB
    Last edited by tomseys; 03-24-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post
    Can you give me simplified instruction on the steps needed to fix, ie, 1. go to settings...then what? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Can you give me simplified instruction on the steps needed to fix, ie, 1. go to settings...then what? Thanks
    Maybe here.
    https://www.tracfone.com/apn
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On the LG Rebel 4, go to Settings --> Network & Internet--> Mobile networks---> Access Point Names

Under Access Point Names, what does it show?

If it shows VZWINTENET like in the image below, then it is likely already set correctly and the issue may not be the APN.

Name:  Capture+_2020-03-25-04-59-00_resized.png
Views: 44
Size:  6.7 KB

If it shows something different, like TRACFONE.VZWENTP in the image below, then this may be why mobile data is not working.

Name:  Capture+_2020-03-25-02-59-27_resized.png
Views: 49
Size:  9.2 KB

So we want to change TRACFONE.VZWENTP (or whatever) to VZWINTENET to get mobile data working.

To change the TRACFONE.VZWENTP APN you just press it. After pressing it, the next screen looks like this:

Name:  new.png
Views: 45
Size:  6.8 KB

Press it again, and it will show an editable field.

Enter VZWINTERNET in caps and press ok.

Name:  Capture+_2020-03-25-03-18-05_resized.png
Size:  14.1 KB

Then, press on the three dots on the top right on same screen and choose "Save".

Name:  new.png
Size:  2.1 KB

Name:  Capture+_2020-03-25-03-11-24_resized.png
Size:  6.8 KB

Now it is saved.

Name:  Capture+_2020-03-25-03-05-47_resized.png
Views: 48
Size:  6.7 KB

Now test mobile data.

Turn off Wi-Fi (if applicable), turn on Mobile data and open the browser and surf. Check that e-mail is working.
    Make sure phone is working normally otherwise (calls and texts).

If it worked at your house and the APN is wrong then maybe it worked because you had Wi-Fi on in addition to Mobile Data and it used the Wi-Fi connection. Of course, I'm just speculating.
    Last edited by tomseys; 03-25-2020 at 05:16 AM. Reason: ogranizing my mess

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If the APN is set wrong, you can also try choosing "restore default settings" via the three dots on the right on the Access Point Names screen. Not sure if this will reset APN to VZWINTERNET on a phone that came with an incorrect APN, but may be worth a try. If it corrects it (as it does for me when I deliberately set it wrong), just be sure to select it. If it doesn't correct it then the manual way above works.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you want the cliff notes version of the above:

1. Go to Settings --> Network & Internet--> Mobile networks---> Access Point Names
    2. If APN is not VZWINTERNET, press twice on the APN there then enter VZWINTERNET and press ok.
    3. Press the three dots on top right and save it.
    4. Test mobile data with Wi-Fi off and also test phone and text.

Feedback Score
    Thank you lappers! Looks too much to tell him. If he gets thrown off Wi-Fi I will run over. Otherwise I'll save these instructions for when I see him.

Thanks again!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 G930T
    Feedback Score
    If you want the cliff notes version of the above:

1. Go to Settings --> Network & Internet--> Mobile networks---> Access Point Names
    2. If APN is not VZWINTERNET, press twice on the APN there then enter VZWINTERNET and press ok.
    3. Press the three dots on top right and save it.
    4. Test mobile data with Wi-Fi off and also test phone and text.
    I'm just curious. You can just edit the name of the APN and it changes all of the data automatically? I always thought you had to fill in all of the fields or else have them pushed by d̶i̶a̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ texting apn to 611611 and installing from the text "configuration messages". In my case it is a Samsung S7 so maybe that is different?

EDIT: S/B Texting

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PL1 View Post
    I'm just curious. You can just edit the name of the APN and it changes all of the data automatically? I always thought you had to fill in all of the fields or else have them pushed by d̶i̶a̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ texting apn to 611611 and installing from the text "configuration messages". In my case it is a Samsung S7 so maybe that is different?

EDIT: S/B Texting
    On all the TF branded phones (and models) I've had - yes - changing it like that has fixed the issue. I've done and seen it with a TF Samsung J3 luna pro and Samsung J3 orbit and a Samsung J7 Crown and other ones. Also tested it with the TF LG Rebel 4 and seems to work. Also on TF branded motos. This is the APN the phones (TF) should normally come with. I did get it confirmed with customer support as I recall long ago. Straight talk I think is the opposite.

With this problem, texting to get APN updated does/did nothing to fix it as I recall. I don't have an S7 atm so can't look at APN settings.
    May be different.. I recall it doesn't have a dedicated visual voicemail app like other TF branded Samsung phones. It's basically an S7. I remember the complete settings were noted somewhere in a thread here - forget which phone and what context.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 G930T
    Feedback Score
    On all the TF branded phones I've had - yes - changing it like that has fixed the issue. I've done and seen it with a Samsung J3 luna pro and Samsung J3 orbit and a Samsung J7 Crown and other ones. Also tested it with the TF LG Rebel 4 and seems to work.

With this problem, texting to get APN updated does/did nothing to fix it as I recall. I don't have an S7 atm so can't look at APN settings.
    May be different.. I recall it doesn't have a dedicated visual voicemail app like other TF branded phones. I remember the complete settings were noted somewhere in a thread here - forget which phone.
    Oh, that could be the difference, mine is a T-Mobile branded phone, not a TF.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast