Thread: AT&T CEO: Some signs of stress on network but overall performing well

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

AT&T CEO: Some signs of stress on network but overall performing well

Looks like American's fastest network is holding strong. I have notice my phone camping more on bands 30 and 4/66 than it has on bands 12 and 14. Band 2 is in between.

https://www-bizjournals-com.cdn.ampp...enson.amp.html

AT&T's top boss says the shift from working from home is bringing big changes to his network, though its holding up well.

The Dallas telecommunications and media company (NYSE: T) is seeing mobile volume jump of 40 percent as WiFi calling volumes have doubled, CEO Randall Stephenson said Sunday during a segment on CNN, which is part of the WarnerMedia arm.

We are seeing some signs of stress, Stephenson said. Were having to go out and do some augmentation of networks. And so were sending our employees out to get that done. But right now the network is performing quite well.

AT&T, as a provider of wireless and wired communications services around the country, is on the front lines of the changing U.S. economy amid concerns about COVID-19. More and more employees are working from home as they try to minimize social interaction in a variety of industries.

Stephenson said the performance of the network shows that the billions of dollars spent by the industry is paying off and also gave some credit to his rivals by name.

This is really an indication that the United States has led the world in investments and communications infrastructure not just us Verizon and T-Mobile, he said. Were seeing it pay off during a time of national crisis like this.

The company itself has been shaking up procedures and policies that would have been surprising just a few weeks ago. That mean stores closures, sending some of its own employees home to work and nixing stock buybacks.

That includes waiving domestic wireless plan overage charges for data, voice or text for residential or small business customers. Also, its not ending service for wireless, home phone or broadband residential or small business customers because of an inability to pay because of the coronavirus.

During the presentation on CNN, Stephenson said that business leaders are looking at the coronavirus as they would a time of war.

Everybody needs to step up and do their part, in terms of how we help the general population and the general public, Stephenson said during his time on CNN, according to a story on its website.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Gotta say Randal Stephenson has a lot more class than John Legere has ever had. Legere instead would be trashing his rivals in these turbulent times. Some say its his style. Not sure why some see him as god in the T-Mobile forum.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    Looks like American's fastest network is holding strong. I have notice my phone camping more on bands 30 and 4/66 than it has on bands 12 and 14. Band 2 is in between.

https://www-bizjournals-com.cdn.ampp...enson.amp.html

AT&T's top boss says the shift from working from home is bringing big changes to his network, though its holding up well.

The Dallas telecommunications and media company (NYSE: T) is seeing mobile volume jump of 40 percent as WiFi calling volumes have doubled, CEO Randall Stephenson said Sunday during a segment on CNN, which is part of the WarnerMedia arm.

We are seeing some signs of stress, Stephenson said. Were having to go out and do some augmentation of networks. And so were sending our employees out to get that done. But right now the network is performing quite well.

AT&T, as a provider of wireless and wired communications services around the country, is on the front lines of the changing U.S. economy amid concerns about COVID-19. More and more employees are working from home as they try to minimize social interaction in a variety of industries.

Stephenson said the performance of the network shows that the billions of dollars spent by the industry is paying off and also gave some credit to his rivals by name.

This is really an indication that the United States has led the world in investments and communications infrastructure not just us Verizon and T-Mobile, he said. Were seeing it pay off during a time of national crisis like this.

The company itself has been shaking up procedures and policies that would have been surprising just a few weeks ago. That mean stores closures, sending some of its own employees home to work and nixing stock buybacks.

That includes waiving domestic wireless plan overage charges for data, voice or text for residential or small business customers. Also, its not ending service for wireless, home phone or broadband residential or small business customers because of an inability to pay because of the coronavirus.

During the presentation on CNN, Stephenson said that business leaders are looking at the coronavirus as they would a time of war.

Everybody needs to step up and do their part, in terms of how we help the general population and the general public, Stephenson said during his time on CNN, according to a story on its website.

[/URL]
    Glad to know everything its holding up.

This virus will forever shape our generation the way the Great Depression did. Well be telling our grandkids about the toilet paper hoarders and such. 🤪
    The Internet wasnt meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so its insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead its a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text. John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    I have notice my phone camping more on bands 30 and 4/66 than it has on bands 12 and 14. Band 2 is in between.HoFo mobile app
    Would make sense if your phone supports those bands, since it's only the newer ones. 30, 4 and 66 are all mid band spectrum, good to camp on with good capacity. Makes sense to push you onto those.

Device(s)
    Apple IPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T 4.5g LTE-Advanced Pro
    Feedback Score
    My speeds decreased 60%
    Two great smartphone apps to find cell towers and map actual coverage areas
    1. Cellmapper
    2. OpenSignal
    If You're With AT&T Wireless as your Cell Provider, Use the "AT&T Mark The Spot App" to report an issues with your service, like, no connection, slow speeds, no coverage, drop calls...etc

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Have you noticed any changes where u are?
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Would make sense if your phone supports those bands, since it's only the newer ones. 30, 4 and 66 are all mid band spectrum, good to camp on with good capacity. Makes sense to push you onto those.
    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Things have been slower here, but the sites I frequent all seem to have broken carrier aggregation. Not sure what's causing that.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    At&t is holding up great in Keene southwestern New Hampshire faster then usual.

Spectrum on the other hand I'm seeing as low as 21mbps. 120mbps being the norm.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Things have been slower here, but the sites I frequent all seem to have broken carrier aggregation. Not sure what's causing that.
    Well it might not be in the tower's congested state to offer you CA... Occupying 2+ bands at the same time isn't going to be as efficient overall as occupying one.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Well it might not be in the tower's congested state to offer you CA... Occupying 2+ bands at the same time isn't going to be as efficient overall as occupying one.
    Then why do operators deploy CA? It gets you on and off the network faster.

Other issues Im seeing:

AWS radio head down on my work site, limiting it to 2CA as the bands on there are 4/5(shut off)/12/14/30.

An entire site in the Lincoln Park area of my city was offline today. Ookla failed to load outside of a gas station, only reason I opened it was because my Reddit wasnt loading. Generally dont have issues doing 100+ there.

Carrier Aggregation on sites that will normally do 5CA is being limited to no CA or 2CA. My home site also serves the mall here... and its just broken. But I digress.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo