Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moto e6 versus LG Journey...?

Feedback Score

Moto e6 versus LG Journey...?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-...hone/876424312

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-...a-e6/523940688

I found a $49 Straight Talk Moto e6 and a $49 LG Journey on the Walmart website. The price may not stay at $49, but ST can be rebranded to TF. Which would be the better choice?

Both have 3000 mAh battery, and they're about the same size.

Moto e6 (XT2005DL) has 5.5” screen and has 16gb internal storage, 2gb RAM. It says it takes up to a 256gb microSD card. It says it has a 13mp rear cam and a 5mp front cam.

The LG Journey (L322DL) has 5.45" screen and is 5.78” tall, 0.32" thick, 2.81" wide. 16gb internal memory, 2gb RAM. It says it takes up to a 32gb microSD card. It says it has an 8mp rear cam and 5mp front cam.

I have had a number of LG phones including Fiestas, a Stylo 3, a Phoenix 2 so I do like LG phones. I also have a Moto e5 which I like. I've never had any other Moto.

I was leaning towards trying another Moto but I prefer the larger e5 battery which is 4000mAh. 3000mAh isn't bad though.

Moto tends to update its software from time to time, primarily security patches whether activated or not.

I'm not as concerned about cameras or the size of the storage card. Battery size, screen size, and the internal and RAM memory are most important to me. The quality of the glass and how accurate the keyboard are also important. I like the form factor of the Moto e5 because it fits well in the hand and better than a wider phone.

I can use AT&T and Verizon equally well.

Has anyone had both or either of these two phones and what did you like or not like about them?

I'm not sure if they come with Oreo or Pie OS but have heard some phones don't work as well with Pie.

Or would it be better to buy another Moto e5 with older OS (refurb on eBay for $34.99, 49.99 with year's service), or maybe an LG Rebel 4?

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I decided on the Moto e6. Its removable 3000 mAh battery was part of it. It runs on 9.0 Pie and I read that it won't be upgraded to Q. It has no fingerprint sensor (I don't use that anyway). It has a nice screen which makes a huge difference when using a phone. The price was so low I couldn't say no. There are phones much lower in specs that are at that price or not much less. I was thinking its lack of a fingerprint sensor might be a reason why its price was relatively low. I figured too there are 32gb phones for not much more.

I doubt it'll be anything like my e5, but I'm looking forward to working with it. My e5 camera is really sharp (compared to my other phones) and I hope the e6 is nice.

I'm not much of a photographer but I do like a clear picture when I take one. For instance my ZTE zFive G takes fairly low grade pix and when I post its screenshots to the forum, it often shows its own screenshot as broken (can't see it) but they will show on my other phones. Pretty bad when a phone doesn't open its own posted shots.

It's hard choosing a phone based on product reviews because many will say they didn't like it while others love it. Generally if it gets 3-4 stars out of 5 it's worth a shot, but 2 stars even after there are thirty or more reviews, forget it unless it's a temporary cheap replacement. I avoided the TCL phones for their low star reviews.

Sent from my LG-K371 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    My e5 camera is really sharp
    My moto e5's camera makes the blacks come out purple for some reason. It's very pronounced. I guess i could try a different camera app with it or something. Maybe my phone has an issue. I have bad luck with motos. Came with a bundle so that part was good.

Still I'm a little curious about the G6 (as opposed to e6). If it ever drops in price, a lot, I may grab one.
    Member formerly known as "lappers"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    My moto e5's camera makes the blacks come out purple for some reason. It's very pronounced. I guess i could try a different camera app with it or something. Maybe my phone has an issue. I have bad luck with motos. Came with a bundle so that part was good.

Still I'm a little curious about the G6 (as opposed to e6). If it ever drops in price, a lot, I may grab one.
    I like how sharp my e5 cam is. I haven't noticed any color issues but next time I use it I'll check that.

The g6 is sold by TF as a refurb now for 59.99 I think (but I think you posted about that in a thread). That one is a temptation to me. I've never bought a phone for over $50, I wait til they're 49.99 at least, and now eBay sells phones for that with a years service. I got my e5 on a Black Friday Best Buy sale for 49.95.

Feedback Score
    I watched a couple of vids on the e6 and one said it's good for granmaws and kids, I'm surprised they didn't say pets.

I've heard Simple is Good. I'm simple so maybe the e6 will be good enough for me.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I watched a couple of vids on the e6 and one said it's good for granmaws and kids, I'm surprised they didn't say pets.
    People who said that are usually "power users" or "trend followers" who pay lots of money for their phones. I don't belong in those groups.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    People who said that are usually "power users" or "trend followers" who pay lots of money for their phones. I don't belong in those groups.
    For sure I don't belong in the power users group. My main phone number is now on a reconditioned ZTE flip I got free with a plan card.

The main rule is just to buy what suits you and your pocket.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I got out my moto e5. I was going to take a picture of something black to illustrate the color issue but I'm not seeing much of that now. Well, if I take a picture of something black that has a lot of light shining on it it like a blanket it can sometimes get a little bit of a purple hue.

But the camera seems fine. Since I had it out I decided to try a little comparison.

As a result of this I think my TF refurb LG Rebel 4 may take slightly sharper/clearer pics than my new TF Moto e5. Or at least more often then not. I think the color on the LG may be a little more accurate as well (the wall in last pic looks just like that).

The first 4 pics are cropped from full size pictures and what I cropped is just a small part of the picture. All were taken in not the best indoor lighting conditions.

Moto e5
    Name:  moto.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  58.2 KB

LG Rebel 4
    Name:  lg.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  87.1 KB

Moto e5
Views: 142
Size:  19.1 KB

LG Rebel 4
    Name:  20200402_060523.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  36.4 KB

Moto e5
Views: 150
Size:  84.0 KB

LG Rebel 4
    Name:  Rebel 4.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  95.3 KB
    Last edited by tomseys; 04-02-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    There are people using Tracfone service with the new high priced phones (iPhone 11, Galaxy S20, etc.), but it is sure not the majority. Remember when a Tracfone was called a "burner" phone? Just cheap throw-away phones and service.

I would never go back to the cheap phones after having one of quality (Moto G5 Plus) that did not cost much more. I like unlocked too, so you don't have to play the Tracfone restrictions games. I only need/want one phone (plus a backup), so the quality is very important.

Feedback Score
    I got out my moto e5. I was going to take a picture of something black to illustrate the color issue but I'm not seeing much of that now. Well, if I take a picture of something black that has a lot of light shining on it it like a blanket it can sometimes get a little bit of a purple hue.

But the camera seems fine. Since I had it out I decided to try a little comparison.

As a result of this I think my TF refurb LG Rebel 4 may take slightly sharper/clearer pics than my new TF Moto e5. Or at least more often then not. I think the color on the LG may be a little more accurate as well (the wall in last pic looks just like that).

The first 4 pics are cropped from full size pictures and what I cropped is just a small part of the picture. All were taken in not the best indoor lighting conditions.

Moto e5
Views: 139
Size:  58.2 KB

LG Rebel 4
    Name:  lg.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  87.1 KB

Moto e5
Views: 142
Size:  19.1 KB

LG Rebel 4
    Name:  20200402_060523.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  36.4 KB

Moto e5
Views: 150
Size:  84.0 KB

LG Rebel 4
    Name:  Rebel 4.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  95.3 KB
    You're right, the Rebel photos look sharper and more bright of colors, or deeper of color to me on my Samsung Luna Pro. The cushion looks more yellowy in one pic, whiter in another.

I was an artist and just a note, there are different hues of a color based on how the colors are mixed. Some blacks have a blue tint while others may be more inky or sooty or even have an underlying brownish hint if seen in different lighting.

Photographers that work in the digital realm may know more about how cameras obtain their colors from the digital palette. I'm sure it could have to do with how the two cell cams are creating their colors.

On the other hand it could be reflection or light source since sunlight, incandescent, and fluorescent have different qualities. Flash LED light tends to be blue, light bulbs yellowy etc.

I have yet to get my e5 back out, I cycle through my phones over the course of a week or two so I'm not always using the same one to give them a rest. When I get back to the Moto I'll try to test it on something black.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score

On the other hand it could be reflection or light source since sunlight, incandescent, and fluorescent have different qualities. Flash LED light tends to be blue, light bulbs yellowy etc.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using HoFo mobile app
    The main light source in this case is a floor lamp with an incandescent bulb that gives off a slightly yellow cast on objects. That is what my eye sees and I think the LG R4 often gets that vs the e5. But the e5 also manages some nice looking pics especially with a little more light to play with (as any camera will). I also think I sometimes prefer less of a yellow look even if it is really there.

An example of the purplish took I sometimes see with black or dark objects on the e5 is here (this is cropped at 100%):

Moto e5
Views: 134
Size:  22.1 KB

LG Rebel 4
    Name:  Rebel.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  39.8 KB

The Rebel 4 has the more accurate color here. I have to say that the overall pic was far sharper as well on the R4.

I believe there is another version of the e5 that has a 13MP rear camera. Megapixels are not everything as the cliche goes since quality of lens, size and quality of sensor, picture processing, aperture, skill of photographer etc is important but all things being equal would be interesting to see the pics that one produces.

Feedback Score
    I got the Moto e6 by FedEx on Saturday April 4th.

I set it up but didn't activate it. It took longer to set up than earlier Android versions.

After I bought it, the price jumped from $49 to over $50.

The screenshot feature can be accessed by pressing the power button and choosing it from the menu, or the usual way, by pressing the power button and the volume down button. Once the shot is taken, there's a simple editor that includes doodle to cover items on the screen, and a highlighter.

The back was so hard for me to remove that I had to have someone help. It pries off from near the edge of the screen. I could only remove it halfway. It goes on much easier than it comes off.

The screen itself is slick glass, and the keypad feels fine.

Color settings are different on the e6 than the e5.

The e6 has three choices, natural, boost color, and saturated.

The e5 has a slide switch and two choices besides that.

On the e6, I wasn't able to find a way to change the light quality from yellowy or brownish to bluish. To avoid the dingy tone I have to set the brightness up above 60%.

The e6 has a nightlight mode that turns the light quality to amber with a slide switch to adjust it. It said it might be easier to look at or might help me to fall asleep but I prefer to stay alert when using the phone.

I deleted some removable apps (games, Pandora) and added a few from Google Play. Its internal storage now sits at 6.66gb used of 16. The LG Journey I looked at said it had 8gb available of the 16.

I didn't care for the file app that came with the e6 so I added File Manager + from Google Play and Simple File Manager to see which I like most. I swapped in the MicroSD card from my old SafeLink phone.

The battery seems to run down fairly fast. I like the e5 better, but I knew the battery might do that. I just wanted to try the phone and see if I liked it.

I charged it to 100% for its first charge, from about 40% but then installed AccuBattery and will try to adhere to the max 80% charge to see if the battery will live longer that way.

The photos show the e6 beside the e5, taken with my Samsung J3 Luna Pro, and a screenshot of the e6 home screen as currently set up. I'm sorry I'm not a very good photographer! My review is on the light side because I'm not a very technical person. But thought I'd give my impression of it.

I haven't activated it. I'll wait to see if I like it.

Name:  Moto_e6_e5_1.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  67.8 KBName:  Screenshot_Moto_e6.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  67.9 KB

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The main light source in this case is a floor lamp with an incandescent bulb that gives off a slightly yellow cast on objects. That is what my eye sees and I think the LG R4 often gets that vs the e5. But the e5 also manages some nice looking pics especially with a little more light to play with (as any camera will). I also think I sometimes prefer less of a yellow look even if it is really there.

An example of the purplish took I sometimes see with black or dark objects on the e5 is here (this is cropped at 100%):

Moto e5
Views: 134
Size:  22.1 KB

LG Rebel 4
    Name:  Rebel.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  39.8 KB

The Rebel 4 has the more accurate color here. I have to say that the overall pic was far sharper as well on the R4.

I believe there is another version of the e5 that has a 13MP rear camera. Megapixels are not everything as the cliche goes since quality of lens, size and quality of sensor, picture processing, aperture, skill of photographer etc is important but all things being equal would be interesting to see the pics that one produces.
    You're right, your e5 produces blacks that look purple. It wouldn't do if you sell items on eBay that require true color! The Rebel shows the cloth as just black.

I took a pic of a black binder with my e5 and it has glare but it looks black to me. It was photographed in window lighting (cloudy light from the north) and fluorescent light on further away than the window.

I didn't see anything in the e5 settings to change or adjust colors which of course you would have already checked.

My e5 cam is 8mp not a 13.

I was going to buy the refurb Rebel, then changed my mind to the refurb Fiesta 2... Then at the last moment chose the Moto e6. Sometimes more expensive isn't always better. I'll wait to see how I like my choice. But it looks like the Rebel isn't too bad. Name:  IMG_e5_binder2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  65.0 KB

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah maybe my moto e5 has an issue.. i have bad luck with motos. I just put it in the closet.

The 13mp rear camera on the LG fiesta 2 is not bad at all imo. Better than R4 with overall picture sharpness... Kinda similar to j7 crown IIRC though maybe not as good. For the price I think it's a very decent phone. A little old now though ...has nougat 7.0 with 5/17 security patch - mine anyway. Good 4,500 mAh battery. Big phone. Power button on side. No fingerprint sensor. Face recognition (trusted face).

I like the R4 camera better than the one on the Samsung luna pro (which is pretty good for cheap 5mp camera) and samsung j3 orbit (weird colors and painting effect). I think it is better (going by memory) that the one on the Samsung a10e which was not very sharp and colors looked dull (imo). I couldn't return that phone (paid $49) fast enough.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The back was so hard for me to remove that I had to have someone help. It pries off from near the edge of the screen. I could only remove it halfway. It goes on much easier than it comes off.
    There's a little notch at the lower-right corner (looking at the screen). I found that it's easier to remove the back cover when I hold the phone in my left hand, with the screen against my palm and my left thumb presses down on the center of the back cover. Then I "claw" at that little notch with the finger nail of my right-hand's middle finger. It comes right off. It gets easier after the back cover had been removed a few times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast