Thread: T-Mobile Connect (prepaid plan) Starts March 25th

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile Connect (prepaid plan) Starts March 25th

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/tmobile-connect-launch

In response to COVID-19, the Un-carrier is introducing lower-priced options, available starting Wednesday.

T-Mobile Connect – part of the New T-Mobile’s 5G for Good initiative – is launching ahead of schedule for $15 per month, half the price of the company’s lowest smartphone plan. And Metro by T-Mobile is adding new, lower-cost options.

What’s the news

T-Mobile launches T-Mobile Connect, its lowest priced smartphone plan ever today, and Metro by T-Mobile is adding lower-cost options, to help ensure everyone has an affordable option to get and stay connected during these challenging times.

Why it matters

More than ever, staying connected matters – to family, friends, work, school, information. With these moves, T-Mobile can help millions of families and individuals faced with financial stress get and stay connected.

Who it’s for

Everyone.

BELLEVUE, Wash. — March 23, 2020 — Now more than ever, reliable connectivity is crucial. To help ensure everyone can get and stay connected affordably, T-Mobile (NASDAQ: TMUS) is launching its lowest priced smartphone plan today, rather than waiting for the merger with Sprint to finalize, as originally planned. And at Metro by T-Mobile, the Un-carrier is adding lower-cost options to help individuals and families stay connected.

T-Mobile Connect was announced in November of 2019 as part of 5G for Good – the first planned Un-carrier moves for the proposed New T-Mobile – but in response to customer needs in these trying times, the Un-carrier is launching it this week. T-Mobile Connect represents a new level of value at $15 per month plus tax – half the price of T-Mobile’s lowest priced plan – for unlimited talk and text plus 2GB high-speed smartphone data, including access to T-Mobile’s nationwide 5G network. For $25 per month plus tax, customers get 5GB of high-speed smartphone data. And T-Mobile Connect also has an Annual Data Upgrade, giving customers an additional 500MB of monthly data, every year, at no additional cost, for the next five years. T-Mobile Connect is available starting this Wednesday, March 25.

And to help even more people stay connected, Metro by T-Mobile is launching lower-priced plans and offers on March 25:

For the next two months, Metro is offering a $15 plan – that’s half the price of the current most affordable plan. For 60 days after customers activate, it’s just $15 per month for unlimited talk and text plus 2GB of high-speed smartphone data.

New and current Metro customers with any voice line can also get a free 8” tablet (via rebate redemption) with a $15 unlimited tablet data plan.*

MetroSmart Hotspot devices will be half off, and the $35 per month data plan will include 20GB — double the normal monthly data — for the next 60 days.

“Right now, having a reliable, low-cost connection is absolutely crucial for Americans, and with many facing financial strain, time is of the essence. We knew we couldn’t wait for the merger to finalize to launch T-Mobile Connect, our lowest priced smartphone plan, so we’re rolling out ahead of schedule,” said John Legere, CEO of T-Mobile. “With T-Mobile Connect, we’re giving those hardest hit an even more affordable way to stay in touch. Half the price of our lowest-ever priced smartphone plan. So everyone can stay connected.”

The launch of T-Mobile Connect comes on the heels of additional moves T-Mobile recently made to ensure customers stay connected. T-Mobile is also:

Giving all current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers as of March 13, 2020 who have legacy plans without unlimited high-speed data, unlimited smartphone data for the next 60 days (excluding roaming).
    Starting March 20, 2020, providing eligible T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers on smartphone plans with hotspot data an additional 20GB of smartphone mobile hotspot (10GB per bill cycle for the next 60 days) for each voice line.
    Working with our Lifeline partners to provide customers extra free data up to 5GB of data per month through May 13, 2020.

Increasing the data allowance for free to schools and students using our EmpowerED digital learning programs to ensure each participant has access to at least 20GB of data per month through May 13, 2020.
    And much more.

In addition, T-Mobile has successfully deployed additional 600 MHz spectrum on loan from multiple companies, effectively doubling total 600 MHz LTE capacity across the nation. This boost will help ensure T-Mobile, Metro by T-Mobile and partner customers can stay connected during this critical time.

Starting March 25, you can learn more about T-Mobile Connect online at http://prepaid.t-mobile.com and learn more about Metro offers at www.metrobytmobile.com.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile Connect (prepaid plan) Starts March 25th

Awesome They promised, they delivered!

I’m putting both of my nephews on this.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Are taxes & fees included as their other plans? Is the data hard capped or throttled to 2G (if so what speed?).
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Taxes and fees are extra. It's hard capped at 2GB for the $15 plan and 5GB for the $25 plan.

I also assume there are no perks such as free music streaming or data saver for video. So you burn the data quicker and upgrade to an unlimited plan.

Looks like a pretty good plan on the surface for low data users. But I assume it's postpaid too, so probably add $5-10 for taxes and it doesn't look that appealing compared to a lot of prepaid options.

Edit: I see in the link all the way at the bottom that it is actually prepaid. So probably not too bad if you can refill through Callingmart or something and save the tax. My only fear of switching to this from other slightly more expensive options would be how long it will last.

Who knows in a few years how much rates will go up and if you're better off staying on a plan that will probably be grandfathered in versus this one that is unlikely to stay at such a low rate for much longer than they committed to offer it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Considering how long they have been talking about it, I'm sure it will last a few years. I believe they even set a provision where the data allowance increases every year. They would not have done that had they not expected to keep it a while.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clocks11 View Post
    Considering how long they have been talking about it, I'm sure it will last a few years. I believe they even set a provision where the data allowance increases every year. They would not have done that had they not expected to keep it a while.
    The plan was offered to appease regulators who feared the merger would increase cellular rates from reduced competition.

T-Mobile promised to offer it for at least 3 years (then promised some states, like California, at least five years to drop their lawsuits to block the merger), so it's going to be around for a while. T-Mo will increase the data amount 500MB/month for each year you stay on the plan.

The 3-5 year promise doesn't scare me, but the hard cap turns me off. I'll stick to my $10 2GB T-Mo tablet plan- it offers unlimited throttled (128kbps) data after the 2GB is used up, and works fine in phones too. I just use Google Voice for talk and text with the tablet plan.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    My $10 plan is great, my thoughts exactly elec. Even gets free music streaming so it works great for my needs as a backup and I've even made voip calls when throttled and it isn't too terrible in a pinch.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    What do you guys use for VOIP on the $10 plan? Is it reliable for calls? Last time I tried VOIP cell stuff was years ago with FreedomPop, and it was terribly unreliable. I wouldn't want to count on it at all.

Feedback Score
    Any information as to whether it allows for personal hotspot?

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I've used Google Voice and TextFree. GV is a little more stable but when signal is strong they're both about the same. Call quality is good as long as the latency and bandwidth cooperate.

In low signal or congested areas, both pretty much suck equally and barely work, but it's just a backup line for me.
    What do you guys use for VOIP on the $10 plan? Is it reliable for calls? Last time I tried VOIP cell stuff was years ago with FreedomPop, and it was terribly unreliable. I wouldn't want to count on it at all.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by melissav1 View Post
    Any information as to whether it allows for personal hotspot?
    Yes up to your data allotment.

T-Mobile Connect Launches Early to Help the Most Vulnerable in America...
    https://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=17124299

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I use Google Voice. It even works fairly well if and when you get throttled to 128kbps. I've even used GV in Europe on a postpaid T-Mo phone with "free" 128kbps roaming data.

To be fair, however, my 2GB is a backup line. My primary phones have "real" cell service.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure if there's going to be more talk in the T-Mobile Prepaid area about this, but I'd get this on eSIM in a heartbeat. Right now, their app doesn't seem to have it listed and there's no mention on the site.

Also, if you do need more data, they will sell you a data pass: https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-fa...le-connect-faq

Feedback Score
    The offer means nothing...its only good for 60 days

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulD63 View Post
    The offer means nothing...its only good for 60 days
    What offer are you talking about?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast