Thread: Move from north florida to south florida coverage questions

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Move from north florida to south florida coverage questions

Hi all

moved from jacksonville to port st lucie. any tmobilers out that way can fill me in on coverage. I have not had time to travel the area much. coverage is strong in jacksonville. inside port lucie has been good as well. burbs and outer areas?

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Anybody in fl or near port at lucie? Experiences?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Move from north florida to south florida coverage questions

Shilohcane is from Florida.... He could probably help.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Shilohcane is from Florida.... He could probably help.
    I messaged him earlier. Hopefully he will respond soon.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Buttler View Post
    Hi all

moved from jacksonville to port st lucie. any tmobilers out that way can fill me in on coverage. I have not had time to travel the area much. coverage is strong in jacksonville. inside port lucie has been good as well. burbs and outer areas?
    I drive through Post Lucie about every other month on I-95 but I did stop for gas there about 6 weeks ago. That doesn’t make me a expert on that area. On I-95 it is great coverage. It is rare that I am north of West Palm Beach. However Rootmetrics shows T-Mobile #3 overall in Port Lucie but there number is close in that category. However T-Mobile was tied as #1 in 3 of the categories there and tied for #1 in Data Performance, Network Speed and Text. Also tied for #2 in Network Reliability. I really don’t see any issues especially since T-Mobile is addicting spectrum soon. This is the Rootmetrics report. https://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/ro...cie-fl/2020/1H

As of Feb 13th Port Lucie has NOT got 600 MHz spectrum yet. It is active in Vero Beach to the north and Hobe Sound in the south. Expect B71 soon.
    This is the 600 MHz build out map. https://coverage.lart2150.com/

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I drive through Post Lucie about every other month on I-95 but I did stop for gas there about 6 weeks ago. That doesn’t make me a expert on that area. On I-95 it is great coverage. It is rare that I am north of West Palm Beach. However Rootmetrics shows T-Mobile #3 overall in Port Lucie but there number is close in that category. However T-Mobile was tied as #1 in 3 of the categories there and tied for #1 in Data Performance, Network Speed and Text. Also tied for #2 in Network Reliability. I really don’t see any issues especially since T-Mobile is addicting spectrum soon. This is the Rootmetrics report. https://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/ro...cie-fl/2020/1H

As of Feb 13th Port Lucie has NOT got 600 MHz spectrum yet. It is active in Vero Beach to the north and Hobe Sound in the south. Expect B71 soon.
    This is the 600 MHz build out map. https://coverage.lart2150.com/
    Awesome info! Thank you so much. You are indeed a great asset to this forum!

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    There appears to be a band 71 site south of Stuart.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    There appears to be a band 71 site south of Stuart.
    That B71 site is between Stuart and Hobe Sound to the south. I sure wish Lart2150 would update his site faster. Florida has a lot of areas left to upgrade to B71 due to a lot of TV stations that are behind or just getting close to leaving the spectrum. Then I am sure that the merger has caused a lot of slowdown in how to buildout design of their network with all the different Sprint spectrum. Plus plans on transferring the customers to T-Mobile network is job #1 after the merger.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can not wait to see band 71 in my area. Coverage will be unbelievable here.

Feedback Score
    Can not wait to see band 71 in my area. Coverage will be unbelievable here.
    I expect you will like it a lot. My coverage went from none at home and spotty around town to solid everywhere when they turned on band 71 here. That is around my town. I have not checked between towns yet. It's not very fast though, ~5 Mbps at home and ~8 Mbps in town. That is still plenty to do what I want to do with a phone.

Some areas have more spectrum than others. I don't know what my area has. They are using half or more for their "Nationwide 5G" which limits what is available for LTE.

IIRC, the TV station moves are required to be done by something like July. How soon T-Mo can get it turned on after that remains to be seen, but they have been moving quickly on it so far.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I expect you will like it a lot. My coverage went from none at home and spotty around town to solid everywhere when they turned on band 71 here. That is around my town. I have not checked between towns yet. It's not very fast though, ~5 Mbps at home and ~8 Mbps in town. That is still plenty to do what I want to do with a phone.

Some areas have more spectrum than others. I don't know what my area has. They are using half or more for their "Nationwide 5G" which limits what is available for LTE.

IIRC, the TV station moves are required to be done by something like July. How soon T-Mo can get it turned on after that remains to be seen, but they have been moving quickly on it so far.
    I just want reliability but extra speed is always nice.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    ..... Florida has a lot of areas left to upgrade to B71 due to a lot of TV stations that are behind or just getting close to leaving the spectrum. .....
    I assume that, since Florida has band-12, band-71 would not be such a high priority in much of the state. Mostly for the congested urban areas, until they get low-band deployed in areas that don't have band-12.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I assume that, since Florida has band-12, band-71 would not be such a high priority in much of the state. Mostly for the congested urban areas, until they get low-band deployed in areas that don't have band-12.
    Yes but band 12 is only 5 MHz. Would it not still be better to deploy band 71 in those areas?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well New York City had Band 12 but T-Mobile paid several TV Station money to leave their spectrum faster. Also my area had Band 12 but they have added several B71 towers but it is never enough even for me. A mile and a half from my house I have tested 130 Mbps down but I only get about 30 Mbps down at my place. T-Mobile is still faster then my Comcast Xfinity cable broadband that doesn’t hit 30 Mbps.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Yes but band 12 is only 5 MHz. Would it not still be better to deploy band 71 in those areas?
    Yes it would. It's a matter of priorities.
    Well New York City had Band 12 but T-Mobile paid several TV Station money to leave their spectrum faster. Also my area had Band 12 but they have added several B71 towers but it is never enough even for me. A mile and a half from my house I have tested 130 Mbps down but I only get about 30 Mbps down at my place. T-Mobile is still faster then my Comcast Xfinity cable broadband that doesn’t hit 30 Mbps.
    Yes, it's a matter of priorities. Places like NYC are highly spectrum constrained. They need every MHz they can get into service. Miami has a similar situation. Lake Wales doesn't. Lake Wales has band-12 service. They probably won't upgrade it to band-71 this week.

T-Mobile seems to have prioritized band-71 installations something like this:
    1. Large cities where current spectrum is highly congested. (NYC)
    2. Areas where other carriers hold all the 700 MHz licenses. (Mississippi)
    3. Towers they have to upgrade or modernize for some other reason.
    4. New installations.

This is why you'll see more band-71 sites in Mississippi than in Georgia. The latter already has band-12 coverage. Eventually, band-71 coverage will be just about everywhere because it's going the be the backbone of 5G service. It just takes time to upgrade thousands of towers.

P.S. I probably need to add to the priority list service needed to meet FCC build-out requirements.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 03-27-2020 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast