Thread: How to transfer service from a dead phone

Feedback Score

How to transfer service from a dead phone

My current BYOD phone just died. I ordered a tracfone bundle as a replacement. Question: How do I transfer the minutes/date from the existing BYOD to the bundle (which comes with its own sim card + minutes/date)?

I can pull out the BYOD sim from the dead phone, but since I can't turn it on I won't be able to retrieve the IMEI number of the dead phone (the dead phone does not have a removable back panel for battery etc).

Also: After I make this transfer of service, would the BYOD sim be voided? At some point down the line I might want to get another BYOD phone again and it would be nice to not have to buy a new sim.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    My current BYOD phone just died. I ordered a tracfone bundle as a replacement. Question: How do I transfer the minutes/date from the existing BYOD to the bundle (which comes with its own sim card + minutes/date)?

I can pull out the BYOD sim from the dead phone, but since I can't turn it on I won't be able to retrieve the IMEI number of the dead phone (the dead phone does not have a removable back panel for battery etc).

Also: After I make this transfer of service, would the BYOD sim be voided? At some point down the line I might want to get another BYOD phone again and it would be nice to not have to buy a new sim.

Thanks!
    The SIM ID and the phone number may be all you need. Also, if you have an online account at TracFone.com, it may all work out automatically. I suggest a chat session with Customer Service.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

Thanks!
    Activate the new bundle with a transfer from the existing. Your existing will be added to the bundle amounts of units and time. You can do this from your online account if you have one, but it is safer to do by online chat.

With chat, you can start the session with having them provide your existing balances.

Feedback Score
    The IMEI tends to be printed on the SIM tray.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The IMEI tends to be printed on the SIM tray.
    The IMEI printed on the small tray can be hard to read, and might require a magnifying glass. It should be listed in the online account for a BYOP, or in the account a CSR can see. May only need the phone number.

Feedback Score
    From what I think I learned on here; yes if it's a VZW sim. Deactivated for reuse. No for ATT/TMO sims.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You didn`t give the BYOP SIM`s service provider. If AT&T or T-Mobile then Tracfone never asked for the IMEI and doesn`t know it. If Verizon, then Verizon made Tracfone ask for the IMEI before Verizon would OK and allow it on their network. Either way, you should not be asked for it when deactivating the phone/SIM. All they have ever ask for is for the Phone number. They will ask for both the IMEI and SIM s/n (found on the red card) of the new Tracfone "branded" phone, no matter the service provider, when you activate it.

A new three provider Tracfone BYOP SIM kit is $1 plus tax delivered. https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Gift-Car...MAAOSwVBVb02o4