Thread: T-Mobile Connect Plans Now Live

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile Connect Plans Now Live

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I already called to transfer my $10/month Simple Choice Mobile Internet plan to a $15/month T-Mobile Connect. It's like adding unlimited talk and text for $5. They couldn't do it automatically so they scheduled it for the next billing period. I think this is a great plan for those that don't need a lot of internet and might end up being one of the most popular. I wonder if they'll get unlimited internet during the period while T-Mobile is offering unlimited for all of it's customers?

Feedback Score
    Why would I want to use this instead of Mint or Liberty the 5g access ? Can u change from the $15 to the $25 later on if I need more data ?

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Sim?

Someone in the ATT forums said a Tracfone ATT sim card works for ATT prepaid also. Does anyone know if this is the same for Tmobile, using a Tracfone Tmobile sim? I have a new Tracfone Tmobile sim.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, G Stylus, G Power, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E6, E5+, E5, E4
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    Sim?

Someone in the ATT forums said a Tracfone ATT sim card works for ATT prepaid also. Does anyone know if this is the same for Tmobile, using a Tracfone Tmobile sim? I have a new Tracfone Tmobile sim.
    That was me and no the Tracfone/T-Mobile sim card won't work. I tried last year when I discovered that Tracfone/At&T and H20 sims worked on AT&T prepaid.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    That was me and no the Tracfone/T-Mobile sim card won't work. I tried last year when I discovered that Tracfone/At&T and H20 sims worked on AT&T prepaid.
    Ok, thanks.

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    By "capped" does that mean no slower speed after? Just hard no data?

To me these plans seem crappy, for $300 ATT annual was much better for 8gb, Id rather pay year in advance and get extra 3gb a month

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsilver99 View Post

To me these plans seem crappy, for $300 ATT annual was much better for 8gb, Id rather pay year in advance and get extra 3gb a month

It's for people who don't need more than 2 gigs. Just because it does not fit you does not make them crappy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsilver99 View Post

I just switched from postpaid T-Mobile to this Connect service ... one of the key condition was that it support WiFi Calling. And it does!

Regarding the ATT $300 plan ... do you know if it supports WiFi Calling? I may switch if that's possible.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    It all depends on your device and if it feels like working today.

If you have an AT&T branded device that supports it, it *might* work. If you have a newer iPhone (X or later, I believe) or newer Pixel, it *might* work.

I say *might* because it's temperamental at best. Unlike T-Mobile and to a lesser extent Verizon, which pretty much allow VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on most compatible phones, with AT&T your phones IMEI has to be on their whitelist, or all you get is 3G circuit switched voice. Which didn't used to be a problem, but now that they are turning down 3G all over the place, the coverage can be spotty and you miss calls or have no voice service.

For example, my iPhone XR worked fine for a few months, then I went hiking a few weeks back and switched to an Android which didn't support it. I've done this before and had no problems. However this time when I switched back, VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling are gone and haven't come back. I'm switching to T-Mobile because of it, because I'm done with their games.

T-Mobile Wi-Fi and VoLTE even work on unbranded devices with custom ROMs, etc. so why should I bother playing these games with AT&T?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post

If you have an AT&T branded device that supports it, it *might* work. If you have a newer iPhone (X or later, I believe) or newer Pixel, it *might* work.

I say *might* because it's temperamental at best. Unlike T-Mobile and to a lesser extent Verizon, which pretty much allow VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on most compatible phones, with AT&T your phones IMEI has to be on their whitelist, or all you get is 3G circuit switched voice. Which didn't used to be a problem, but now that they are turning down 3G all over the place, the coverage can be spotty and you miss calls or have no voice service.

For example, my iPhone XR worked fine for a few months, then I went hiking a few weeks back and switched to an Android which didn't support it. I've done this before and had no problems. However this time when I switched back, VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling are gone and haven't come back. I'm switching to T-Mobile because of it, because I'm done with their games.

T-Mobile Wi-Fi and VoLTE even work on unbranded devices with custom ROMs, etc. so why should I bother playing these games with AT&T?
    AT&T is one of those things.. once something is set up and working.. DO NOT mess with it. I have a postpaid account there and will not swap anything around as it's always a headache to get it back.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    Visible: $25 “toy” SIM card to throw in whatever’s secondary.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    On iPhones, it's supported from the 6 onward and is pretty reliable once you get it provisioned. For iPhones AT&T prefers cellular, so it won't activate unless signal is dropped below a certain threshold. On the other hand, T-Mobile uses it any time Wi-Fi is available. On many Android phones, you can change this preference, but the iPhones get the preference from the carrier settings.

Tying in the $300 yearly plan, it'll work with it since it's just a modified version of the 8GB plan. The only ones that don't support Wi-Fi calling on "supported" devices are the most expensive prepaid plan (dumb) and the 25¢ one. I can confirm that AT&T Prepaid Wi-Fi calling worked a few months ago on an iPhone SE (2016 model), iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone 11 when I had a line there.

It is stupid how AT&T handles provisioning and whatnot, especially since others don't seem to have a problem with BYOD Android (even though I prefer iOS and most iPhones, regardless of where they came from originally, work, I have a lot of sympathy for the annoyed Android folks who want to match their favorite device with AT&T.

Not trying to convince you to stay, but my guess is that the IMEI on the account is still for that Android device and VoLTE/Wi-Fi calling provisioning got broken. I've seen this happen on our AT&T business account where it will show as "Smartphone LTE" for the plan instead of "iPhone VoLTE" - it's been forever since I've messed with consumer accounts, but I suspect a call to get your IMEI updated to the iPhone should bring that right back.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcanman View Post
    I just switched from postpaid T-Mobile to this Connect service ... one of the key condition was that it support WiFi Calling. And it does!
    Yes, T-Mobile seems to allow any plan (even MVNOs) access to VoLTE and WiFi calling, if a phone supports it. My ancient legacy Prepaid account does WiFi calling.

Feedback Score

I’ve had similar issues with att. T-Mobile seems way more friendly towards WiFi calling and volte.

I know exactly what you are taking about with it working, I switched phones, then switched back and it no longer worked.

It was definitely frustrating at times

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcanman View Post

Regarding the ATT $300 plan ... do you know if it supports WiFi Calling? I may switch if that's possible.
    Did you have to get new sims? I tried converting my postpaid to prepaid and they wanted me to buy new sims at 25 dollars each.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast