Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Safelink Wireless...yay or nay?

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoner69 View Post

Oh and yes, the benefits vary by state. Her state's package is only 350 minutes, unfortunately.
    That's what it was for my friend for a few years but then about a year/ year and a half ago they "upgraded" it to 1000 minutes. Which was helpful since he was running out of the 350 minutes with about 5 days to go. Suddenly his phone service wouldn't work and he would complain to me and I'd call in and me and the rep couldn't figure it out and then I was like duh, it's out of minutes. So I'd add an airtime card to it. This happened a couple of times. No more. But at least he has a surplus now if they should change something or he has a really, really heavy phone use month.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    When you transfer a phone number out of Safelink it remains in the Tracfone system as a Safelink number even if you activate a Tracfone or any other sister company phone with the number. You have trouble with the phone itself and contact Tracfone and their idiot system will tell them it is a Safelink phone.

Your Mother has too much in airtime value to risk mingling it with the Safelink service. If it all were to reset to the new month's normal opening balance, good luck getting it back. I`m just saying I personally would not risk it. She could use it as a second phone until used up, or you use it up.

I have helped people in the past and had no problem getting them Verizon service. You may get some resistance if T-Mobile is good in your area, but you could claim otherwise and not give it away by actually answering the phone if they tried to trick you by calling you. Turn the phone OFF when dealing with them for Verizon service so the call can not even reach the phone. Also not sure if you can currently get Verizon from the beginning if you tell them you have a Verizon phone. If it is Tracfone branded you will not get away with claiming it is a BYOP because the IMEI will give it away as a Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    ...I have helped people in the past and had no problem getting them Verizon service. You may get some resistance if T-Mobile is good in your area, but you could claim otherwise and not give it away by actually answering the phone if they tried to trick you by calling you. Turn the phone OFF when dealing with them for Verizon service so the call can not even reach the phone. Also not sure if you can currently get Verizon from the beginning if you tell them you have a Verizon phone. If it is Tracfone branded you will not get away with claiming it is a BYOP because the IMEI will give it away as a Tracfone.
    That's a great tip for those interested.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    First I am just going by your question... Safelink is technically Tracfone. For greater compatibility with phones... it is better to use a Tmobile Sim card. With Verizon and use of unlocked phones you are more likely to not be able to use services like Wifi Calling. I found it easiest to get that going using Tmobile.

I am currently using an unlocked Note 9 on Safelink. So yeah it works with wifi calling... you just have to goto the link they have tracfone for 911 registration.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
    Helio Touch...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_unmatched View Post
    For greater compatibility with phones... it is better to use a Tmobile Sim card. With Verizon and use of unlocked phones you are more likely to not be able to use services like Wifi Calling. I found it easiest to get that going using Tmobile.
    Yes, you can get WiFi calling on Tracfone T-Mobile. HD Voice did not work for me with TF/T-Mobile test calling someone on another MVNO also using T-Mobile. HD Voice does work on TF/VZW to anybody using VZW. Much more important to me than Wi/Fi calling. Some of these features don't work inter-carrier on MVNOs, which is controlled by the underlying carriers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    That sucks. IIRC, my friends renewal requests i think came either by text or snail mail, and then were completed online in the online account. You have to log in. And it was nothing to do pretty much. Just confirm all is the same. But it's been a while now though.
    I got the renewal package direct from the state Lifeline administrator. It was snail mailed, and there is no online account you can access there. The Safelink account shows none of this activity, just the initial application. There was a Safelink California specific website, but I can't find it anymore. Only appeal was the CA plan has unlimited T&T with 2 GB data. I was using a lot of talk time then that was eating up my Tracfone service. You can now buy talk time by itself cheaply, so no need to play games with Safelink.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I got the renewal package direct from the state Lifeline administrator. It was snail mailed, and there is no online account you can access there. The Safelink account shows none of this activity, just the initial application. There was a Safelink California specific website, but I can't find it anymore. Only appeal was the CA plan has unlimited T&T with 2 GB data. I was using a lot of talk time then that was eating up my Tracfone service. You can now buy talk time by itself cheaply, so no need to play games with Safelink.
    I can log in here with birth date, last 4 of SSN and Zip Code (you may need enrollment ID):

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...x.html#!/login

I can then check the enrolled status and access the log of all previous renewal dates. I can also update info there and get info about the current plan etc and upgrade the current plan, upgrade phone. I can also cancel the account.

During a renewal, IIRC, I can log in and then confirm/press submit that all is the same and that's that.

His current plan:

Name:  Capture.GIF
Views: 49
Size:  27.0 KB
    Last edited by tomseys; 03-26-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: fixed the login link
    Member formerly known as "lappers"

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if Tracfone dumbphone users realize how much extra they are paying?
    Smartphone - 500 minutes and zero days for $10 (no promo codes have shown up yet as is available for text and data)
    Dumbphones - 30 minutes and 30 days for $10 (possibly double or triple the minutes + possible promo codes)
    Yeah, days need to be considered in the total cost.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There is actually a re-certify link accessible from within his Safelink Wireless account:

Views: 44
Size:  19.8 KB

If I go to it, it shows:

Views: 46
Size:  25.6 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah it seems California is different/more complicated.

There is a dedicated FAQ section just for California here:

https://support.safelinkwireless.com...ific-questions

There is also this site which I guess can be used for renewals/re-certs/verifications: https://www.californialifeline.com/en

Views: 44
Size:  20.5 KB

Here in NYC, we just deal with the SW site and hardly ever at that (esp lately).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    Yeah it seems California is different/more complicated.
    Everything in California is different, complicated, and often expensive. I don't remember a login for the Lifeline administrator back when dealing with renewal. Got a letter stating I would have to reapply. Forget it!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Last thing I'll add is that you can check your current balance and time remaining on your Safelink Wireless account online at Tracfone just like you can with a normal Tracfone account.

If you have purchased benefits (you bought an airtime card and added it) in addition to Safelink Benefits, in the online account it will first list the Safelink Benefits and then below that, the purchased ones. As long as you have Safelink Benefits, the purchased ones are not used and carry over. Above both of them is the total combined benefits.

Views: 47
Size:  11.8 KB
    Last edited by tomseys; 03-27-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thought I'd add this here too. Safelink Wireless is now giving everyone unlimited minutes and unlimited texts plus 5GB of extra data as part of their COVID-19 response. Good through end of April.

Views: 31
Size:  18.6 KB

(Total benefits = purchased benefits + safelink benefits)

Feedback Score
    But what happens if he uses up those 200,887 minutes in the next month!? Huh!? Just kidding. That 200,887 minutes looks so odd, I just had to make a stupid comment!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    But what happens if he uses up those 200,887 minutes in the next month!? Huh!? Just kidding. That 200,887 minutes looks so odd, I just had to make a stupid comment!

Probably they just give you another 200,887 minutes.

But then again that equals 139 days so this would be problematic.

I worry this type of monthly minute usage could open up a black hole and potentially disrupt the space time continuum.

Freakin' Tracfone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast