Thread: Battery life on a new iPhone 7

Feedback Score

Battery life on a new iPhone 7

The battery on my 6s has become weaker and weaker and I was starting to get some freeze ups. So I just bought a 7 hoping to keep cost down and stay close to what was my favorite phone. Today was my first day of using the phone. At 10 AM battery was at 100%. By 4 PM it was down to 9%. Yes I used the phone. One short FaceTime of less than 5 minutes. Another conversation. Some texting. Some FB time. But is this the best I can expect? Is this particular phone a dud? Would be willing to go for the 11 if I thought it would be a vast improvement. But honestly have no great desire for it. Have all apple products (iPad, watch, MacBook Pro) or would be trying an Android for a change.

Looking for advice and experience.

Feedback Score
    If, as would be normal on the first day, you updated iOS, and all your apps had to reinstall, then I wouldn't be surprised the battery usage was high. Wait maybe two more days, and check battery drain when all the initialization operations are over.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In addition to the prior suggestion, turn off features like Bluetooth, Wifi, GPS when you don't need to use them to save battery usage.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aKansasKid View Post
    If, as would be normal on the first day, you updated iOS, and all your apps had to reinstall, then I wouldn't be surprised the battery usage was high. Wait maybe two more days, and check battery drain when all the initialization operations are over.
    So what should I expect? To poster below, I do leave Wifi and Bluetooth on and need to know with them on what I can expect. And of course, how much better I’d do with one of the newer phones. Apple person told me 8 would be no better. 10 an hour better, and 11 two to three hours better. I have a feeling she was reading from an ad. But anyone can tell me I’m wrong and I’d do much better with the latest model.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Likely that the Apple rep was reading from a script, not directly from the advertisement. The script and the ad are probably worded the same. The rep is supposed to read from that script directly and not offer an opinion.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    brand new phone? Refurbished? What does battery health show.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    brand new phone? Refurbished? What does battery health show.
    Phone is new. Battery health 100%. Seems like when my 6s was new, I could go all day and charge it at night. Not so for this one. But maybe I’m using my phone for so much more these days. Hard to tell as I am in the NY metropolitan area and staying home. Using WiFi. Using my iPad and even my computer for some of the time, my phone for exercise company, FB some of the time, Twitter (occasionally) and email.

The larger question looms. How much better off battery wise would I be with an 11? Anyone here have a recent model?

Yes. I’ll keep careful track of battery and usage tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback. Please keep it coming.

Feedback Score
    Once the new phone has stabilized, all apps are updated, and system background jobs are over (3 days or so) I'd expect the battery life on this phone to be about what it was on your 6s, unless your 6s was on an older version of iOS. I'd say you should see 4+ hours of screen time.