Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Discount for automatic payments

Device(s)
    iphone X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Discount for automatic payments

With this corona mess, I was worried that when my payment came out there might be insufficient funds, so I paid with my credit card. I got an immediate bill for $10 because I violated the terms of the auto deduction from my debit. I didn't remove my debit card, I just paid my monthly bill with a credit card. Be aware of these financial issues we are having that if you pay with your credit card they may cancel your deduction. I called and they fixed it for me this time. I was told when I signed up that I could pay with a credit card as long as my debit was on file. I guess not.

This is the email I received:
    Effective on your next billing cycle, your account will receive a debit adjustment in the amount of 10.00. This adjustment is the result of non-compliance with the discount terms associated with your plan.

The monthly discount you receive requires you to remain enrolled in auto-pay with a bank account or debit card and paper-free billing? and that you pay your bill in full with that auto-pay payment. A one-time payment was processed on your account outside of these terms and has resulted in the loss of the discount for this billing cycle.

Thanks for choosing Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Everyone already knows you can't pay with a credit card and get the discount this isn't new. Read the terms

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OP, just call customer service and I am certain they will help you resolve this. It is likely they can prevent it from showing on your next statement, but I can't confirm or deny the actual result. Just think of it as a learning experience to prevent it becoming a recurring issue. Please let us know what happens.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've always made a partial payment with a credit card each month - leaving a $10 balance remaining to be paid with autopay. I do this to gain credit card points (family plan = $$$ = lots of lost credit card points if paid with checking account).

I've never had a problem UNTIL this month. In fact, Verizon CSRs have told me that paying a portion of the bill with a credit card is fine as long as SOME portion of the bill gets paid via autopay using the linked checking account/debit card.

This month, I received a notice immediately after my manual credit card payment that next month's bill would have my autopay discount removed. I called Verizon and the CSR was not familiar with any new policy but after investigation she informed me that one of her managers/coaches/etc. indicated that they believed a recent change was put in place that would in fact remove the autopay discount going forward if ANY portion of the bill was paid via credit card.

Device(s)
    iphone X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    I've always made a partial payment with a credit card each month - leaving a $10 balance remaining to be paid with autopay. I do this to gain credit card points (family plan = $$$ = lots of lost credit card points if paid with checking account).

I've never had a problem UNTIL this month. In fact, Verizon CSRs have told me that paying a portion of the bill with a credit card is fine as long as SOME portion of the bill gets paid via autopay using the linked checking account/debit card.

This month, I received a notice immediately after my manual credit card payment that next month's bill would have my autopay discount removed. I called Verizon and the CSR was not familiar with any new policy but after investigation she informed me that one of her managers/coaches/etc. indicated that they believed a recent change was put in place that would in fact remove the autopay discount going forward if ANY portion of the bill was paid via credit card.
    Totally my situation. I was told I could pay my bill with a credit card as long as the debit was listed as default payment. Obviously this has changed unbeknownst to me.

Feedback Score
    I’ve never had Verizon so this is interesting to me. Verizon requires a debit card for auto pay? And now cancels the autopay discount if you ever do a manual payment using a credit card?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am certain that it is spelled out clearly in the Terms and Conditions. I am certain that a checking account # would suffice. No disagreement that it is strange. I would have to imagine that with a checking account/debit card, they could confirm funds availability faster.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I am certain that it is spelled out clearly in the Terms and Conditions. I am certain that a checking account # would suffice. No disagreement that it is strange. I would have to imagine that with a checking account/debit card, they could confirm funds availability faster.
    A) It's debit or checking account to get the discount

B) It's not strange because CC fees Verizon has to pay for paying via CC are more than fees via debit/checking. Now you can question that they probably aren't close to $10 a line but it does in fact cost more to charge CC than debit/checking. If you notice some places have a minimum limit for using a CC. The higher fees are why.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    A) It's debit or checking account to get the discount

B) It's not strange because CC fees Verizon has to pay for paying via CC are more than fees via debit/checking. Now you can question that they probably aren't close to $10 a line but it does in fact cost more to charge CC than debit/checking. If you notice some places have a minimum limit for using a CC. The higher fees are why.
    Interesting. I would never have expected that from Verizon, it being a large company rather than a mom and pop business (like my neighborhood grocery store).

T-mobile accepts CCs for autopay and also allows additional manual payments using other CCs. I'm thankful for that because that's one way of using up balances on prepaid Visa cards.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Every company is different in their policies, don't assume just because one provider accepts the payments one way that they all do the same.

Jack Hagar's comment rings true:

It's not strange because CC fees Verizon has to pay for paying via CC are more than fees via debit/checking. Now you can question that they probably aren't close to $10 a line but it does in fact cost more to charge CC than debit/checking. If you notice some places have a minimum limit for using a CC. The higher fees are why.

Feedback Score
    Every company is different in their policies, don't assume just because one provider accepts the payments one way that they all do the same.

Jack Hagar's comment rings true:
    I feel the initial $10 discount per ACCOUNT when Verizon Plan Unlimited first came out was closer to the actual fees they pay. The way they do it now makes it seem like they lowered prices when they didn't. For example Go and Start are the same cost if you don't have autopay and Start offers LESS since it doesn't have hotspot. Play More has an extra 3 GB depri limit compared to Beyond for the same money so that's something but 3 GB after 2 years is nothing to brag about. Do More has 28 GB more depri but lower video resolution and no Apple Music. So that's a push. Get More has 10 GB more hotspot data than Above so that's something. Verizon should make the current discount prices the standard price and go back to offering $10 per account discount. And also up the plan features. Funny how they can give everyone an extra 15 GB hotspot now but couldn't do it before because of the network not being able to handle it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    I feel the initial $10 discount per ACCOUNT when Verizon Plan Unlimited first came out was closer to the actual fees they pay.
    A small business would pay around 3% in credit card fees. No way Verizon pays that much. However, even at 3%, the fee on a $100 charge would only be $3.

There may be other costs associated with using a credit card opposed to using a debit or bank draft, but the credit card fees alone would not be anywhere near $10 on the typical account.

Bottom line, you either pay by their rules or you don't get the discount. Seems like they kind of changed the rules midstream though.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Seems like they kind of changed the rules midstream though.
    I don't use Verizon any more, but I would imagine that there was some notice at least 30 days prior to the change (either mailed or online).

Feedback Score
    I don't use Verizon any more, but I would imagine that there was some notice at least 30 days prior to the change (either mailed or online).
    I doubt they had to. It sounds more like they just started enforcing the terms as they were originally written. According to some of the posts, they were allowing people to make manual payments by credit card, even though they were on autopay through the bank. Now, they're not.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I doubt they had to. It sounds more like they just started enforcing the terms as they were originally written. According to some of the posts, they were allowing people to make manual payments by credit card, even though they were on autopay through the bank. Now, they're not.
    Correct

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast