Thread: What determines the pace that Android phones send DTMF?

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Verizon prepaid monthly
    Feedback Score

What determines the pace that Android phones send DTMF?

This is a spin off question from another thread I started elsewhere, but since the topic is so hard to search for on Google, I'm asking it here.

On an Android phone, for a sequence of DTMF (aka touch tones) following a pause or a wait (those comma and semicolon characters), what determines the pace that they are sent?

In other words, some times I've heard the sent tones go very fast, like many ten tones in one second, and other times they go as slow as if human dialled.

This question seems posed in terms of long tones or short tones, for when we have to navigate a voicemail system, but the answers to those questions don't discuss the pace.

So for a Moto G6 running Android 8 "Oreo" using the standard Google Contacts and Phone apps, where in the settings would I go to make the dialled tones be sent more rapidly? Who determines the pace? Hardware or software? The phone maker? Google's Contacts or phone apps?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I strongly suspect that the receiving number makes that determination.

Think of it like a fax machine, the speed that the information is transmitted is based on a signal received from the incoming fax machine. For example, fax machines can send/receive documents at varying transmission speeds. When the machines connect, they perform a hand shake that determines that speed. Older fax machines send/receive at a slower speed that most newer ones.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    What part of the phone is this happening in? I.e., is the Google Phone app inquiring, and acting on a response? Is there a protocol for this exchange? Is there some official standard that dictates the "correct" pace?

The question I'm leading up to is if I feel the tones are being sent too slow, how would I hasten the pace?
    E.g., I have Joe Black at XYZ Corp programmed in Contacts for a pause after his main number is dialled, then when it wants his extension, I let the DTMF for that be sent. If the phone system at XYZ Corp can't handle the pace the touch tones are sent, how would that be adjusted?
    Last edited by rd10221; 03-28-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Does this work on your phone app?

https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/artic...Android-Device

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    No. I don't even have that, but it is typical of the Google searches I've done.

A page I found just now, https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Dual_...equency_(DTMF), discusses the issue I am asking about:

The tone duration of DTMF is variable depending on the system used. Standard Whelen timing is 40ms tone, 20ms space, where standard Motorola rate is 250ms tone, 250ms space. Federal Signal ranges from 35ms tone 5ms space to 1000ms tone 1000ms space. Genave Superfast rate is 20ms tone 20ms space. Genave claims their decoders can even respond to 20ms tone 5ms space.

In general, DTMF's speed when being send manually (as people type on a DTMF keypad) will be variable and not rigidly structured, as in tone length and space length will happen loosely as the keys are pressed. Electric systems using DTMF dialing will be rigid and have equal tone and break lengths between tones.

My question is how this is handled in cell phones, and my Android device in particular.
    E.g, in the sample recordings, choosing between "Normal 50/50" and "Motorola 250/250".
    How would I tell Contacts/Phone I wan't one or the other?

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Re-stating what I am trying to do, in February 2019 (last year) after the pause/waits in Contacts, my Phone app was sending those rapid "normal" paced touch tones. Presently, now in March 2020, the touch tones are being sent slow, about the human typed speed.

• I didn't make this change.

• What/what did?

• How can I change it back?

This may take joining more phone related forums, until I can get pointed in the right direction.

Edit: I just found another rabbit hole to do down. The previous web page I gave was from the radio world (as in the police/ham) and I found something closer to home, in the Internet telephony/VOIP world, "DTMF and RFC 2833 / 4733" at https://andrewjprokop.wordpress.com/...rfc-2833-4733/
    Last edited by rd10221; 03-29-2020 at 09:52 AM.