Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: AT&Tís 39GHz spectrum win sets stage for national 3Gbps 5G service

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Posts
    5,796
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0

    AT&Tís 39GHz spectrum win sets stage for national 3Gbps 5G service

    Look out Verizon!!!

    https://venturebeat-com.cdn.ampproje...om&amp_tf=From %251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fventurebeat.com%2F 2020%2F03%2F31%2Fatts-39ghz-spectrum-win-sets-stage-for-national-3gbps-5g-service%2F


    Prior to this year, 5G carrier AT&T had already placed a large bet on the 39GHz millimeter wave radio band, acquiring FiberTowerís sizable 379MHz blocks of spectrum. Today, AT&T confirmed that it has more than doubled its national 39GHz spectrum holdings to 786MHz, on average, a development that should enable the carrier to offer at least 3Gbps download speeds across the country ó assuming it has the wherewithal to actually build towers to support the short-distance mmWave holdings.

    The considerably faster transfer speeds promised by 5G networks depend on empty spectrums ó radio frequencies that arenít already being used for other purposes. To hasten U.S. 5G development, the FCC has been auctioning blocks of millimeter wave spectrums, and AT&T swapped its FiberTower holdings for auction vouchers, enabling it to target contiguous spectrum blocks across the country. After bidding $2.4 billion, half from vouchers, AT&T won the 786MHz of nationwide 39GHz spectrum, bringing its national mmWave average to 1,040MHz, including separate 24GHz holdings.

    Last April, AT&T said its Netgear Nighthawk 5G hotspot hit a 2Gbps peak on its enterprise-focused 5G mmWave network, surpassing the carrierís initial promises of 1Gbps peaks. But AT&Tís consumer 5G network has been disappointingly slower, offering 4G-like speeds using low band spectrum. Like rival T-Mobile, AT&T has focused its consumer 5G launch on covering large swaths of land rather than on ultimate performance.

    Doubling down on 39GHz means AT&T will have 800MHz bandwidth in some markets, enough for eight 100MHz channels. The carrier has previously said it can deliver up to 400Mbps of download speed per 100MHz channel, reaching 1.5Gbps across four channels, suggesting that 3Gbps should be easily attainable through all eight channels. Moreover, if a 5G device can simultaneously access AT&Tís 39GHz and 24GHz spectrums, or the 39GHz spectrum plus low or mid band channels, the speeds could be even higher.

    While AT&T now has the spectrum to support a national 39GHz 5G network, its ability to build out the supporting tower hardware remains a question mark. Like other millimeter wave frequencies, a 39GHz signalís ability to travel is measured in feet rather than miles, requiring significant ďsmall cellĒ radio hardware deployments to provide service. As such, AT&T has signaled that it will initially use mmWave to provide peak speed ď5G+Ē in dense urban environments, with no specific timeline for wider rollouts elsewhere.

    By comparison, rival Verizon has focused almost exclusively on millimeter wave for its initial 5G rollout and has hit peaks in the 2Gbps range. Most of its real-world service has peaked at under 1.5Gbps, however, and the carrier has typically promised ideal performance of 1Gbps with more common speeds in the 600Mbps range.
    Todayís announcement notes that AT&Tís 5G+ network is now available in parts of 35 cities and is initially being densified to provide mobile service at ďarenas, campuses, and more,Ē with fixed (home broadband) service potentially to follow. AT&T currently sells only a handful of phones with 5G+ support, including the Samsung Galaxy S20+ and S20 Ultra 5G, but the carrier is expected to broaden its selection later this year.


    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,045
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Verizon generally has about 1000 MHz in 39 GHz alone, and another 800 or so MHz in 28 GHz. I don't think they're too worried about AT&T having 800 MHz.

    Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)


    Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    230
    Feedback Score
    0

    AT&Tís 39GHz spectrum win sets stage for national 3Gbps 5G service

    Hope they density in Raleigh NC soon. Right now itís a slither of a highway.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,404
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    Look out Verizon!!!

    https://venturebeat-com.cdn.ampproje...om&amp_tf=From %251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fventurebeat.com%2F 2020%2F03%2F31%2Fatts-39ghz-spectrum-win-sets-stage-for-national-3gbps-5g-service%2F


    Prior to this year, 5G carrier AT&T had already placed a large bet on the 39GHz millimeter wave radio band, acquiring FiberTowerís sizable 379MHz blocks of spectrum. Today, AT&T confirmed that it has more than doubled its national 39GHz spectrum holdings to 786MHz, on average, a development that should enable the carrier to offer at least 3Gbps download speeds across the country ó assuming it has the wherewithal to actually build towers to support the short-distance mmWave holdings.

    The considerably faster transfer speeds promised by 5G networks depend on empty spectrums ó radio frequencies that arenít already being used for other purposes. To hasten U.S. 5G development, the FCC has been auctioning blocks of millimeter wave spectrums, and AT&T swapped its FiberTower holdings for auction vouchers, enabling it to target contiguous spectrum blocks across the country. After bidding $2.4 billion, half from vouchers, AT&T won the 786MHz of nationwide 39GHz spectrum, bringing its national mmWave average to 1,040MHz, including separate 24GHz holdings.

    Last April, AT&T said its Netgear Nighthawk 5G hotspot hit a 2Gbps peak on its enterprise-focused 5G mmWave network, surpassing the carrierís initial promises of 1Gbps peaks. But AT&Tís consumer 5G network has been disappointingly slower, offering 4G-like speeds using low band spectrum. Like rival T-Mobile, AT&T has focused its consumer 5G launch on covering large swaths of land rather than on ultimate performance.

    Doubling down on 39GHz means AT&T will have 800MHz bandwidth in some markets, enough for eight 100MHz channels. The carrier has previously said it can deliver up to 400Mbps of download speed per 100MHz channel, reaching 1.5Gbps across four channels, suggesting that 3Gbps should be easily attainable through all eight channels. Moreover, if a 5G device can simultaneously access AT&Tís 39GHz and 24GHz spectrums, or the 39GHz spectrum plus low or mid band channels, the speeds could be even higher.

    While AT&T now has the spectrum to support a national 39GHz 5G network, its ability to build out the supporting tower hardware remains a question mark. Like other millimeter wave frequencies, a 39GHz signalís ability to travel is measured in feet rather than miles, requiring significant ďsmall cellĒ radio hardware deployments to provide service. As such, AT&T has signaled that it will initially use mmWave to provide peak speed ď5G+Ē in dense urban environments, with no specific timeline for wider rollouts elsewhere.

    By comparison, rival Verizon has focused almost exclusively on millimeter wave for its initial 5G rollout and has hit peaks in the 2Gbps range. Most of its real-world service has peaked at under 1.5Gbps, however, and the carrier has typically promised ideal performance of 1Gbps with more common speeds in the 600Mbps range.
    Todayís announcement notes that AT&Tís 5G+ network is now available in parts of 35 cities and is initially being densified to provide mobile service at ďarenas, campuses, and more,Ē with fixed (home broadband) service potentially to follow. AT&T currently sells only a handful of phones with 5G+ support, including the Samsung Galaxy S20+ and S20 Ultra 5G, but the carrier is expected to broaden its selection later this year.


    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Verizon owns 2,024 MHz on average in 28/39 GHz compared to AT&Ts 1,038 MHz average in 24/39 GHz. How effective will that spectrum be is a entirely different topic.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,713
    Feedback Score
    0

    Thumbs down

    Although this all sounds fantastic, I don't think anyone really wants a cell tower on *every* light post. I'm not saying the big companies aren't going to give it a shot, but 39 Ghz is stopped by, well a piece of paper basically.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    850
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    39 Ghz is stopped by, well a piece of paper basically.
    no it's not lmao it can go a whole kilometer easily with the proper optimizations, like beamforming and massive MIMO as well as advanced signal processing. millimeter waves are reflected, not blocked by obstacles, which means they can bounce around obstacles and still make it to the destination

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,440
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    ďThe Internet wasnít meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so itís insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead ó itís a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.Ē John Legere 1/5/2017

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,404
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    no it's not lmao it can go a whole kilometer easily with the proper optimizations, like beamforming and massive MIMO as well as advanced signal processing. millimeter waves are reflected, not blocked by obstacles, which means they can bounce around obstacles and still make it to the destination
    If you watch some YouTube videos mmW deployments have improved in range and especially NLOS.

    https://youtu.be/1FAYev3IHsA

    Youíll see him walk deep into a restaurant , hold onto the signal and clock speeds 400 Mbps plus.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,404
    Feedback Score
    0

    AT&Tís 39GHz spectrum win sets stage for national 3Gbps 5G service

    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    If you watch some YouTube videos mmW deployments have improved in range and especially NLOS.

    https://youtu.be/1FAYev3IHsA

    Youíll see him walk deep into a restaurant , hold onto the signal and clock speeds 400 Mbps plus.
    https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...ting-pandemic/


    This is a city just north of Atlanta Georgia. Verizon has some big densification plans for mmW. In this city alone theyíre planning to install 1,000 new sites for 5G.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-28-2017, 09:35 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2017, 12:39 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2017, 02:55 PM
  4. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-09-2016, 09:45 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks