Thread: Can't use google voice for voicemail with Tello

Feedback Score

Can't use google voice for voicemail with Tello

Because you can't change the voicemail number, or use conditional call forwarding to send to google voice (or any number) on no-answer, I don't see any way to use google voice for voicemail. Tech support also agreed there is no way to do so. They said it is a cost-saving measure, but really, can allowing you to use your own voicemail number really cost them anything?

At any rate, their plans are quite cheap and the tech support was pretty good (a little tricky to find the online chat) so if you don't need google voice for voicemail, then not a bad deal. For me, a non-starter, as I use google voice to transcribe all my voicemails.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nedesto View Post
    Because you can't change the voicemail number, or use conditional call forwarding to send to google voice (or any number) on no-answer, I don't see any way to use google voice for voicemail. Tech support also agreed there is no way to do so. They said it is a cost-saving measure, but really, can allowing you to use your own voicemail number really cost them anything?

At any rate, their plans are quite cheap and the tech support was pretty good (a little tricky to find the online chat) so if you don't need google voice for voicemail, then not a bad deal. For me, a non-starter, as I use google voice to transcribe all my voicemails.
    I had them disable voicemail on the Tello number. Nobody has that number anyway. I use my GV number for everything.

You can disable texts to the Tello number yourself in your online account.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Mint with Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    I'm having no issue with using GV for my voice mail.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prof68 View Post
    I'm having no issue with using GV for my voice mail.
    What process did you use to set it up?

Feedback Score
    With voicemail disabled, where do unanswered calls go?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Mint with Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What process did you use to set it up?
    Don't remember being any different than setting up other carrier numbers I've had in the past (TF, Lyca, Mint, Sprint). I switch every few months.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prof68 View Post
    Don't remember being any different than setting up other carrier numbers I've had in the past (TF, Lyca, Mint, Sprint). I switch every few months.

Something makes me think you are using the GV number as the published dial-in number and the Tello number as the forwarding phone. Then GV will pick up if there is no answer. If my hunch is correct, then what the OP wants is to have the native Tello number dialed and then forward it to GV *after* Tello gets the call.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    Something makes me think you are using the GV number as the published dial-in number and the Tello number as the forwarding phone. Then GV will pick up if there is no answer. If my hunch is correct, then what the OP wants is to have the native Tello number dialed and then forward it to GV *after* Tello gets the call.
    Yes, exactly. I am guessing most people use GV more like prof68, but I don't want to port my "real" number to GV.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Mint with Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    Yes, my primary number is my GV number.