Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Refurb phone battery question

Feedback Score

Refurb phone battery question

Does anyone here know if they replace the battery when a phone gets reconditioned, or do they just repackage the old one? Particularly would like to know if they replace them in phones with unremovable batteries.

Sent from my LG-K371 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    They do whatever an average worker can do. If the battery is removable, they discard it and give you a new one in the package. If the battery is built-in, it just stays there and you get the luck of the draw.

Seems that way to me. I imagine that a returnee has not been used much anyway, unless it had a failure later on and just got mixed in with the normal returns.

Tracfone hires a company to do all this. I forget the name, but they are respectable.

Device(s)
    Moto g6
    Feedback Score
    I sure wouldn't count on it. Replacing those batteries requires complete disassembly of the phone, a procedure which includes separating the glued together housing and requires some degree of skill to do it correctly. For the low price most of those refurbs go for, it's highly improbable that they're going to invest in the labor cost and time, as well as the cost of the replacement battery itself, only to sell it for ~$30.

Unless you are extremely strapped for cash and are desperate, or have some sort of obsession with getting the absolute cheapest phone at the absolute cheapest price, refurbs are not the way to go just to save a few bucks. Not when you can get brand new phones with a year of service starting at $50 at HSN, QVC, etc.

And by the way, even brand new phones eventually wind up becoming New Old Stock (NOS). For example, the Moto g6 I just purchased a few weeks ago was actually manufactured in Feb 2019, which means the non-replaceble battery has been sitting in that phone for over a year in a warehouse in Texas. AccuBattery is reporting a potential capacity of 3,087 mAh after a few charge cycles, so it's just above rated capacity, and thus not a concern that it's a year old. It's still something to be aware of, however.

Feedback Score
    Thank you much for the replies.

I asked because I was tempted to buy one of the Fiesta 2 refurbs from the TF site. It was a great deal, 29.99 + plan, then get 40% off, and if one of the bundle codes work, even more off. (I think bundle codes were Tax25 for 25%, ERTG15 for 15%, SAVE2020 for 20%, don't know if they've expired).

I almost did it because of the fantastic batteries these Fiestas have but since they're unremovable, and no knowing how well used they were, I decided in favor of a Moto e6. Its battery is 3000 mAh, but is also removable.

Of course, even with the battery being well used, the F2 might still have better performance given its 4500mAh rating.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    . (I think bundle codes were Tax25 for 25%, ERTG15 for 15%, SAVE2020 for 20%, don't know if they've expired).
    Don't use those bundle codes if buying this phone (LG Fiesta 2) since they not only take off less money, they cancel out the initial 40% discount the phone gets. Use code 60274 which will take off $15 in addition to the 40% ($12) for a $27 total savings.
    Member formerly known as "lappers"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    Don't use those bundle codes if buying this phone (LG Fiesta 2) since they not only take off less money, they cancel out the initial 40% discount the phone gets. Use code 60274 which will take off $15 in addition to the 40% ($12) for a $27 total savings.
    Thanks for the info, tomseys. I apologize for giving faulty advice.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, tomseys. I apologize for giving faulty advice.

No problem... it's ok. It's an unusual situation. That code is weird.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    No problem... it's ok. It's an unusual situation. That code is weird.
    You give very well thought out and well stated info and it's appreciated.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You give very well thought out and well stated info and it's appreciated.

Thanks for the kind words WheelieBoot.

Feedback Score
    Tracfoner69 mentioned AccuBattery so I looked it up on Google Play. I installed it on a few of my phones and found out how the battery on my Phoenix 2 has gone downhill since I've had it. Interesting. A good useful App for analyzing usage. Name:  Capture%2B_AccuBatt_Phoenix2.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  45.8 KB

Device(s)
    Moto g6
    Feedback Score
    AccuBattery is a nice app, really useful for seeing which apps use the most power, as well as seeing the overall health and potential capacity of the battery.

Pro tip: Try not to let your phone battery dip below 20%, and don't charge it over 80% unless you really need the full capacity available because you won't have a way to charge it up.

Li-ion batteries are most happy at around 50% of their charge (recommended for long term storage), and keeping it between 20-80% is the "sweet spot". AccuBattery will show you that as you creep over 80%, you really start to increase the amount of charge cycle wear on the battery. You can set AccuBattery to alert you when the phone is at 80% so you can unplug it.

It may seem counterintuitive, but one full charge from 10% to 100% will take more of a toll on the battery than FIVE charges from 20% to 80%. And really, unless you are going to be away from a power source for many hours, are you really going to miss an hour's worth of run time between charges? The 2-3 amp chargers take so little time to get the phone back up to 80% that it's just not worth running it down and pushing it back up to 100% each time, especially for non-removable batteries that have to last as long as you keep the phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoner69 View Post
    AccuBattery is a nice app, really useful for seeing which apps use the most power, as well as seeing the overall health and potential capacity of the battery.

Pro tip: Try not to let your phone battery dip below 20%, and don't charge it over 80% unless you really need the full capacity available because you won't have a way to charge it up.

Li-ion batteries are most happy at around 50% of their charge (recommended for long term storage), and keeping it between 20-80% is the "sweet spot". AccuBattery will show you that as you creep over 80%, you really start to increase the amount of charge cycle wear on the battery. You can set AccuBattery to alert you when the phone is at 80% so you can unplug it.

It may seem counterintuitive, but one full charge from 10% to 100% will take more of a toll on the battery than FIVE charges from 20% to 80%. And really, unless you are going to be away from a power source for many hours, are you really going to miss an hour's worth of run time between charges? The 2-3 amp chargers take so little time to get the phone back up to 80% that it's just not worth running it down and pushing it back up to 100% each time, especially for non-removable batteries that have to last as long as you keep the phone.
    I've been charging my phones when they drop to about 50% and run them up to 100%. Thanks for the info about proper charging. AccuBattery warns me now to unplug at 80%, it makes a noise.

I like too that the app shows how many resources my apps use and it includes AccuBattery on the list. It does use batt resources to run AccuBattery. But it's useful.

I was wondering how it could spare the battery to only charge it to 80% because it seems I'd be charging it more often, but if I let the phone charge go down to 20-30% instead of to 50% before recharging, it really wouldn't cause me to charge more often.

I'll try to stick to the 20-80% regimen if it means saving the battery.

I'm not very technical but it's an app that's fairly easy to follow for buffleheads like me. Thank you again for mentioning it!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I just took a screenshot of my usage on this phone, Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro. It's pretty explicit. Name:  20200401_192629.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  46.0 KB

Sent from my SM-S327VL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto g6
    Feedback Score
    I was wondering how it could spare the battery to only charge it to 80% because it seems I'd be charging it more often, but if I let the phone charge go down to 20-30% instead of to 50% before recharging, it really wouldn't cause me to charge more often.

I'll try to stick to the 20-80% regimen if it means saving the battery.
    It's all about how Li-ion batteries store energy. Charging them to maximum capacity stresses them, as does allowing them to drop too low, and ultimately results in shorter lifespan. A short enough lifespan to matter? Maybe not, depends on how long you hang on to a particular phone before replacing it.

You could probably charge to 100% every day for a year and lose around 10-15% or so of capacity due to wear. For some, that's an acceptable tradeoff for having a fully charged battery, albeit with a shorter runtime because of reduced capacity as time goes by.

Actually, frequent short top-off charges are better than longer full charges. If you are already in the habit of charging when it drops to around 50%, I would encourage you to continue doing that, in addition to also adopting the "no higher than 80%" rule.

So 50%-80% would make a big difference in terms of overall health and long-term usable capacity of the battery. Try to make that your goal for routine usage when you know you have easy access to a power source for charging, but of course if you're going to be out and about for hours, go ahead and charge the phone up to 100% and use whatever capacity you need.

That's the good thing about adopting good charging habits; if the majority of your charge cycles over the lifetime of the phone are 50% to 80% top-offs, then the occasional 100% charge and draining down to 10% isn't going to have a ton of negative impact a year into owning the phone.

Especially now that so many of these phones have non-removable batteries, adopting good charging practices is more important than ever.

There are a ton of references out there to back up what I'm preaching here. This seems like a pretty decent page explaining some more in depth.

https://www.androidauthority.com/max...ry-life-882395

PS - For whatever it's worth, I bought my Moto e5 in Dec 2018 and ran it 24/7 until a few weeks ago when the g6 replaced it. Except for maybe a dozen or so times within those 15 months, I normally charged the battery to only 75-80%. After the last charge cycle before retiring the phone, AccuBattery showed a potential capacity of 3948 of the original 4000 mAh design capacity of the battery.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone here know if they replace the battery when a phone gets reconditioned, or do they just repackage the old one? Particularly would like to know if they replace them in phones with unremovable batteries.

They may or may not replace the battery.

I always factor in the cost of a new battery when considering refurb phones.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast