Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile - Sprint Merger has finalized

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Is 5G a big deal? I say no it's just bragging rights & huckstering to the public. Data allotments per plan get chewed up a lot quicker with 5G & that's about it.

5G will be crazy fast, but it'll be worthless without unlimited data
    By Raymond Wong Feb 28, 2019
    https://mashable.com/article/5g-requ...data-mwc-2019/
    "...But gobbling so much data so quickly will eat into your data plan significantly faster than before..."
    You'll have to look at the definition of what 3G and 4G speeds are capable of/supposed to be before you can get excited about 5G. It does need to be truly unlimited and unthrottled internet for everyone with no caveats to it. With everyone saying that things will never be the same again, everyone will need to have truly unlimited internet from this point on. It will be interesting to see how the new plans address this need in the marketplace as whoever can deliver on this first will be at a big advantage.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MEDIX1011 View Post
    Does this mean me as a T-Mobile customer will finally get good cell service at work where I have scant T-Mobile service but Sprint has two cell sites on either side of the complex with excellent service?

Or do I have to wait 6 years?
    If the roaming agreement is in place, it would depend on your device. If you have something like a Pixel or OnePlus, you may be able to start getting service now. You can try restarting your phone, checking for any updates and seeing if that helps.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    Anyone have a map of the combined coverage?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    The map for Google Fi's LTE coverage would probably be as close as any map right now. The 3G areas are probably from USC's roaming agreement until that gets shut off.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Is 5G a big deal? I say no it's just bragging rights & huckstering to the public.....
    Depends on who you talk to. For the mobile phone customer, I probably agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    Anyone have a map of the combined coverage?....
    Like it would be any more believable than current maps?
    Donald Newcomb

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    ...A bump in the road ?
    An important state but just one of many.

Feedback Score
    It sounds like T-Mobile is moving forward and prepared for litigation if necessary.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If California wants to be a PIA, maybe the new T-mobile should skip that state for now and continue operations in the other 49 states.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    If California wants to be a PIA, maybe the new T-mobile should skip that state for now and continue operations in the other 49 states.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    I doubt T-Mobile sees it as much of a bump. I think the real question, should CPUC deny, what will be their reason? I'm guessing T-Mobile will argue that the merger was approved by the Federal Government, including the court review per the Tunney Act; that a lawsuit from the States (including California) was ruled in favor of the merger; that they even reached an agreement with the California AG; and that CPUC has no new complaints that have not already been ruled on by the courts.

Last, I think they'd further argue that CPUC's decision is not "timely," the decision being reached almost two years after the merger was initially announced -- including a year after the State of California decided to join a lawsuit to stop the merger. Basically, that this is yet another attempt to get around the previous rulings in favor of the merger -- and that as such this is a "bad faith" attempt to stop, or at least further delay, a merger that has already taken almost two years.

Last, California has no real leverage here -- particularly after the state AG made a deal with T-Mobile. T-Mobile isn't going to "unmerge" -- about the only thing California can do is deny T-Mobile the right to do business in California (sell plans); in which case the lose both T-Mobile and Sprint in California. While that would hurt T-Mobile, it would hurt California much worse.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wouldn't it be funny if T-mobile decided to file a lawsuit against the CPUC and won ??

Feedback Score
    Is 5G a big deal? I say no it's just bragging rights & huckstering to the public. Data allotments per plan get chewed up a lot quicker with 5G & that's about it.
    As currently deployed 5G is no big deal. These are early days. There is a lot more to come. I see no point in dumping my perfectly adequate, one year old LTE phone for an overpriced 5G phone that won't even be compatible with what is to come in 5G spectrum bands.

5G is the future of cellular communications just like when we went from 3G to 4G. It's going to happen. It is evolutionary, not revolutionary. There is a lot more to 5G than crazy fast data speed. Crazy fast data speed is only possible in locations where you can connect to a mm-wave band. That is not going to happen in smaller towns and all along the highways. Otherwise, 5G speed will only be about what we get with LTE. A lot of what 5G can do has little to do with mobile handset use.

5G does not change the amount of data you use. What you do changes the amount. If I had mm-wave 5G today, I can't think of anything I would do differently.

The carriers are hyping their 5G like the hucksters they are. That is their job. Our job is to be intelligent and decide when it would be worth it to us. That could be years.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    ..... -- about the only thing California can do is deny T-Mobile the right to do business in California (sell plans); in which case the lose both T-Mobile and Sprint in California. While that would hurt T-Mobile, it would hurt California much worse.
    I think the PRK is too important a market to just forego. It's like with the insurance companies. If Alabama or Mississippi make it hard to do business, they just say, "To bad, we won't write policies in your state." Florida, Texas and California have a lot more clout. T-Mobile needs California and the PSC won't suffer one bit if T-Mobile stops doing business there.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I think the PRK is too important a market to just forego. It's like with the insurance companies. If Alabama or Mississippi make it hard to do business, they just say, "To bad, we won't write policies in your state." Florida, Texas and California have a lot more clout. T-Mobile needs California and the PSC won't suffer one bit if T-Mobile stops doing business there.

Interstate commerce is a Federal issue not a state issue. States have already lost their chance in Federal court and the Tunney Act Review. CPUC can shove it where the sun don’t shine and T-Mobile will see them in court if they try to do anything.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast