Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Now T-Mobile can give US a full 5G Nationwide Network with speed

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Not sure what "greenfield coverage" means. ......
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Greenfield refers to new or unused. ....... Greenfield coverage is just coverage that hasn't existed before.
    What @jakeuten says. And I don't have any special insider information into the inner workings of T-Mobile. I've just watched them for many years. Their first priority is going to be dealing with existing towers. New coverage is pretty far down the list. Not saying it won't happen. I just wouldn't bet on it.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post

This begs the question though of how Tmobile will deal with those existing Sprint customers who still use CDMA phones, not sure what kind of numbers we are talking on that though. I'd love to see conjecture on this.
    vzw, at&t and t-mo all were running over 90% volte a year or two ago, sprint last I heard still had areas without volte support but i'd be surprised if they didn't also have 90+% volte capable phones. i'd guess they will replace those remaining 1-10%'s phones and run a slice or 2 of 1x and evdo (1.25 mhz) for however long they do that.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    That would be great if Dish fell through and T-Mobile got to keep that spectrum and those customers too.
    Yep. Even less competition in wireless would be fantastic!

*Sigh*

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    vzw, at&t and t-mo all were running over 90% volte a year or two ago, sprint last I heard still had areas without volte support but i'd be surprised if they didn't also have 90+% volte capable phones. i'd guess they will replace those remaining 1-10%'s phones and run a slice or 2 of 1x and evdo (1.25 mhz) for however long they do that.
    My neighbor has a Sprint iPhone 5s that I had initially thought would be toast, but maybe not. It may be able to run on TMO HSPA for voice if Sprint CDMA 1x is shut down. These have B2 and B4 for LTE data, and also B25 if they bring that over. Some older Sprint Androids may not have this capability.

Why keep these old iPhones?
    1. Many like the older small iPhones like the 5s or SE. They do NOT want 5" or larger screens!
    2. Familiarity is a big factor.
    3. Newer models cost a lot more. Not worth it for those who mostly use them as a telephone.
    4. Old iPhones live a long time unless you physically break them.

Feedback Score
    That would be great if Dish fell through and T-Mobile got to keep that spectrum and those customers too.
    That could be sticky if Dish fails to bring out their own 5G network. Was a big part of the merger agreement requirements from the Feds that provided a 4th carrier. Many though that Dish would fail at this. I doubt the Feds would blame T-Mobile for this, but an alternative to the 4th network would have to be found.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Now T-Mobile can give US a full 5G Nationwide Network with speed

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    My neighbor has a Sprint iPhone 5s that I had initially thought would be toast, but maybe not. It may be able to run on TMO HSPA for voice if Sprint CDMA 1x is shut down. These have B2 and B4 for LTE data, and also B25 if they bring that over. Some older Sprint Androids may not have this capability.

Why keep these old iPhones?
    1. Many like the older small iPhones like the 5s or SE. They do NOT want 5" or larger screens!
    2. Familiarity is a big factor.
    3. Newer models cost a lot more. Not worth it for those who mostly use them as a telephone.
    4. Old iPhones live a long time unless you physically break them.
    Rumor has it that Apple will start taking orders for the new iPhone SE (iPhone 9) as early as tomorrow...

It’ll have all the latest bands for T-Mobile’s LTE-A network, great price and a small 4.7” display.

Pops will love it!
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Rumor has it that Apple will start taking orders for the new iPhone SE (iPhone 9) as early as tomorrow...

It’ll have all the latest bands for T-Mobile’s LTE-A network, great price and a small 4.7” display.
    Have to see about the new iPhone SE 2 (or 9). What I have seen is $400 for a 32 GB version. That is a mid-range price, and many don't want to spend that much on a phone. I would also not recommend a carrier version that has service locks on it. If you don't like where you are, you need to be able to quickly move it somewhere else.

I have qualms about where/when the network integration will happen. In my area presently, Sprint coverage is fair, and T-Mobile coverage is poor. Only 50 miles from the state capitol, but the forested foothills make it rough. TMO is not using any low-band here now, and there will be none coming over from Sprint if B26 is sent to Dish.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    My neighbor has a Sprint iPhone 5s that I had initially thought would be toast, but maybe not.......
    My suggestion would be that if T-Mobile does not offer them something they like, the iPhone 5s (once unlocked) would work fine on Consumer Cellular.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Dish will never deploy those frequencies so why not let T-Mobile deploy it permanently. Dish will go under soon.

Feedback Score
    Have to see about the new iPhone SE 2 (or 9). What I have seen is $400 for a 32 GB version. That is a mid-range price,
    I think the current rumors has 64GB for the $400 price. The good thing about it is it will have all of the LTE bands, and it has a faster processor to handle the OS updates. It's really a good upgrade for those who are fine with the old form factor and just want better performance.

But anyone wanting a less than $400 entry point for the iPhone will have to do what they always have and take their chances on the refurbished / second-hand market.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Yep. Even less competition in wireless would be fantastic!

*Sigh*
    As this merger is already showing, the notion that T-Mobile isn't going to compete is being debunked. T-Mobile now has the firepower to compete. They are now officially known as the "supercharged Un-carrier" and announced that they will be remade into a completely formidable competitor with the following points:

14 times more capacity in the next six years than T-Mobile alone has today.

Average 5G speeds up to eight times faster than current LTE in just a few years and 15 times faster over the next six years.

Provide 5G to 99% of the U.S. population and average 5G speeds in excess of 100 Mbps to 90% of the U.S. population.

Covering 90% of rural Americans with average 5G speeds of 50 Mbps.

That alone leaves AT&T and Verizon shaking in their boots. But if Dish fails to standalone and then merges their spectrum into the new T-Mobile, the points listed above would go even higher! And all the while, the consumer is getting far better service and a far better network than they would have otherwise.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    My suggestion would be that if T-Mobile does not offer them something they like, the iPhone 5s (once unlocked) would work fine on Consumer Cellular.
    T-Mobile does not have anything to offer them that is the small size wanted except possibly an iPhone 7. SE or 6s would work. Switching to Consumer Cellular might save them some money on plans. The needs are not that much. Many pay for more than they need. I would not recommend T-Mobile service, as it's poor around here now. Hard to know how that might change with the integration of the networks whenever that happens.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    What @jakeuten says. And I don't have any special insider information into the inner workings of T-Mobile. I've just watched them for many years. Their first priority is going to be dealing with existing towers. New coverage is pretty far down the list. Not saying it won't happen. I just wouldn't bet on it.
    Right now T-Mobile has about 110,000 towers which is more than either AT&T and Verizon. Plus another 10,000 small cells and what ever number of Sprint’s Massive MIMO. Granted some towers will be sold to Dish and some will just let the lease expire. However T-Mobile will have more towers than their competition in the end. T-Mobile is also talking about spending $40 Billion in upgrades.

“ Enter the New T-Mobile. Fueled by a $40 billion investment in a 5G network and services expected to deliver 14 times more network capacity than today’s standalone T-Mobile, the combined T-Mobile and Sprint plans to be a supercharged Un-carrier that is not only bigger — but also better“ https://investor.t-mobile.com/news-a...D/default.aspx

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    ...... However T-Mobile will have more towers than their competition in the end. ......
    That's fine but it doesn't address @Jack Hagar's questions about if/when to expect service where he lives.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    As this merger is already showing, the notion that T-Mobile isn't going to compete is being debunked. T-Mobile now has the firepower to compete. They are now officially known as the "supercharged Un-carrier" and announced that they will be remade into a completely formidable competitor with the following points:

14 times more capacity in the next six years than T-Mobile alone has today.

Average 5G speeds up to eight times faster than current LTE in just a few years and 15 times faster over the next six years.

Provide 5G to 99% of the U.S. population and average 5G speeds in excess of 100 Mbps to 90% of the U.S. population.

Covering 90% of rural Americans with average 5G speeds of 50 Mbps.

That alone leaves AT&T and Verizon shaking in their boots. But if Dish fails to standalone and then merges their spectrum into the new T-Mobile, the points listed above would go even higher! And all the while, the consumer is getting far better service and a far better network than they would have otherwise.
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or not. I love Tmobile but those are just marketing terms right now and nothing more.

They have an incredible task (and opportunity) in front of them but none of this is going to happen overnight.

If Dish went under tomorrow they'd be snapped up in a second by someone with deep pockets who would jettison the sat business and become Tmobile's worst nightmare. The fact that no one wants to interact with Ergen and that Dish is financially strapped but still in business is one of the best things Tmobile has going for it. Think about it - Softbank is backing Dish to buy Boost - that's how badly Son wanted out of Sprint.

I can't see any circumstance under which a failed Dish would be allowed to fold into Tmobile given the entire reason for approval was them becoming a 4th carrier.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast