Thread: Switching between bucket voice/text and unlimited and back?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone/Verizon
    Feedback Score

Switching between bucket voice/text and unlimited and back?

What happens if you have a buckets of unused minutes/texts and you get an unlimited voice/text "plan" for 1 month? Do you lose all your minutes/texts from before if you buy a bucket card the next time? They make a point to only say that data rolls over. They never say outright that you lose your previous airtime, but is that what happens?

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cubey View Post
    What happens if you have a buckets of unused minutes/texts and you get an unlimited voice/text "plan" for 1 month? Do you lose all your minutes/texts from before if you buy a bucket card the next time? They make a point to only say that data rolls over. They never say outright that you lose your previous airtime, but is that what happens?
    This is what it looks like in one of my accounts that I added an unlimited $20 card/plan to:

Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  56.7 KB

My understanding is you never lose your bucket minutes/text/data. It stops being used when the unlimited plan is in effect. When the unlimited plan expires, you start using your buckets again. I think the unlimited data rolls over for one month only. But your bucket data keeps going.

In the image above, the other plan is my bucket minutes/text data. Above that is the unlimited plan, which will expire April 12th.
    At that time, my buckets will take over the show and behave as they did before.
    Member formerly known as "lappers"

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks!

I'm asking because I have buckets from BYOP (wont go into the long story) but I'm thinking about grabbing a refurb Rebel 4 for $10 on Tracfone's site so I can use the BYOP for something else, but they force you to buy an unlimited $20 plan at the lowest to get the $10 deal. The phone is $40 new without any airtime from Walmart, so refurb is the way to go IMO.

What happens to remaining service days from "buckets" when you activate the unlimited plan, does that get put on hold too or does the service end date change?

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks!

I'm asking because I have buckets from BYOP (wont go into the long story) but I'm thinking about grabbing a refurb Rebel 4 for $10 on Tracfone's site so I can use the BYOP for something else, but they force you to buy an unlimited $20 plan at the lowest to get the $10 deal. The phone is $40 new without any airtime from Walmart, so refurb is the way to go IMO.

What happens to remaining service days from "buckets" when you activate the unlimited plan, does that get put on hold too or does the service end date change?

Yes I bought a refurb rebel 4 as well with the $20 unlimited plan - the delivery arrived with a separate physical $20 unlimited plan card. I activated the Rebel 4 with a transfer in from another phone/account.

I took the $20 unlimited card and threw it on my iPhone 6S which is the account above (the image I posted).

You do gain a month in time - I believe your overall service end date advances one month - because you are getting the unlimited month. But then once the unlimited plan is done, then your buckets and time remaining take over. So if you had 7 months left with buckets and added the one month unlimited plan you then have 8 months left (1 month of unlimited time + 7 months bucket time). Once the unlimited plan expires you have 7 months left again which is all bucket - I believe. That's my understanding.

Perhaps others can confirm the above. I'm new to the unlimited plan.. something I would normally never buy.. but this is how I believe it is based on reading about it and observing it.

I believe the phone is $14.99 + tax with that 60274 code.
    Last edited by tomseys; 04-01-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    Yes I bought a refurb rebel 4 as well with the $20 unlimited plan card - the delivery arrived with a separate physical $20 unlimited plan card. I activated the Rebel 4 with a transfer in from another phone/account.

I took the $20 unlimited card and threw it on my iPhone 6S which is the account above (the image I posted).

You do gain a month in time - I believe your service end date advances one month - because you are getting the unlimited month. But then once the unlimited plan is done, then your buckets and time remaining take over. So if you had 7 months left and added the one month plan you then have 8 months left. Once the unlimited plan expires you have 7 months left again - I believe. That's my understanding.
    Well, I did BYOP on a Verizon S7 from the $40 (now $50) annual "deal" on ebay and they didn't give me the airtime. I bought the $15 upon activation and didn't get the deal's amount still. Chat support can't /won't help, corporate hasn't responded, ebay seller hasn't responded. I'm out of options. Not gonna pay $40 for a SIM card, so I opened a return for it as defective.

I also applied and got Safelink but I don't want to lose my old phone # and they didn't give an easy to port. How can I call when I have one phone which is the one I need to port? They have no email or chat support at all. The S7 is currently activated on both Safelink (TMobile SIM) and Tracfone (Verizon SIM) but sadly it's not a dual SIM phone, so I have to manually swap, which stinks because I keep an Otterbox defender on it so it's not a quick task. So, if I get a "new" Verizon SIM Tracfone (ie, Rebel 4), I can leave the S7 on Safelink.

I thought about upgrading the Safelink phone, but they are all sold out of the Androids except the $150 ones.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, I did BYOP on a Verizon S7 from the $40 (now $50) annual "deal" on ebay and they didn't give me the airtime. I bought the $15 upon activation and didn't get the deal's amount still. Chat support can't /won't help, corporate hasn't responded, ebay seller hasn't responded. I'm out of options. Not gonna pay $40 for a SIM card, so I opened a return for it as defective.

I also applied and got Safelink but I don't want to lose my old phone # and they didn't give an easy to port. How can I call when I have one phone which is the one I need to port? They have no email or chat support at all. The S7 is currently activated on both Safelink (TMobile SIM) and Tracfone (Verizon SIM) but sadly it's not a dual SIM phone, so I have to manually swap, which stinks because I keep an Otterbox defender on it so it's not a quick task. So, if I get a "new" Verizon SIM Tracfone (ie, Rebel 4), I can leave the S7 on Safelink.

I thought about upgrading the Safelink phone, but they are all sold out of the Androids except the $150 ones.
    That sucks. I was lucky and got that deal (the 1200 card for $39) before they got stupid with that.

I've had a little luck with TF support (it takes patience) by calling and asking to speak with a supervisor who has access to the account tools. This usually takes you to the corporate office. Not sure how helpful that will be though. Chat is usually not the best for these kind of things.

Safelink has a support area here:
    https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...ml#!/contactUs

Though to be fair, when I asked them the other day in a chat can we log in to a SW branded version of the account area..cause i seem to recall you could at one time, I was told no, you cannot access it online at all in any way.. even though I've been using the normal tracfone site to access a friends Safelink Wireless account for years. I just said, ok, thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That sucks. I was lucky and got that deal (the 1200 card for $39) before they got stupid with that.

I've had a little luck with TF support (it takes patience) by calling and asking to speak with a supervisor who has access to the account tools. This usually takes you to the corporate office. Not sure how helpful that will be though. Chat is usually not the best for these kind of things.

Safelink has a support area here:
    https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...ml#!/contactUs

Though to be fair, when I asked them the other day can we log in to the normal tracfone site to access our Safelink Wireless account I was told no. Of course I've been doing that for years.. helping a friend with it. I just said, thanks!
    I do have a corporate number... maybe I should try it. I'm just fed up with all of it. Chat support CAN restore missing/lost airtime, but they won't for the ebay 1200 SIM card issue. They just insist that "ebay" is unauthorized to sell Tracfone stuff, as if ebay itself is doing the selling.

Safelink's support just says to call them.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I do have a corporate number... maybe I should try it. I'm just fed up with all of it. Chat support CAN restore missing/lost airtime, but they won't for the ebay 1200 SIM card issue. They just insist that "ebay" is unauthorized to sell Tracfone stuff, as if ebay itself is doing the selling.

Safelink's support just says to call them.
    Yeah it might be worth a try. If it is a number that comes with a pin code I would give it a go.
    I used to have a number a while ago and I was able to get all kinds of stuff done with it...but not really much in the way of this kind of thing. Tracfone sells on eBay. They are so disorganized. It's incredible. Maybe it's better to pursue refund with eBay.

Feedback Score

I was able to "rebrand" a TracFone LG Stylo 3 to SafeLink. I'm in California and SafeLink gave me a GSM AT&T sim/phone, the ZTE zFive G. SafeLink where I am was running on Net10. I'm not on SafeLink anymore, but they wouldn't let me port my number in. I had to accept the number they assigned. So I ported my main number to AT&T and from there to TracFone, and let SafeLink go.

You should contact them and ask if you can buy a TF to use as your SafeLink phone if you want to upgrade. If it needs a T-Mobile sim I think Simple Mobile runs on T-Mo. You should contact SafeLink though before buying a phone for that.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My friend uses a Tracfone branded iPhone SE for safelink service. He initially had an LG flip phone when he signed up for safelink that used AT&T and then I transferred his Safelink account to a TF luna smartphone (vzw), then that to a TF iPhone SE. I just a few days ago unlocked the TF iPhone SE for him since he used it for a year with Safelink.

Safelink wireless btw is now giving unlimited minutes, text and around 8GB of data (5+3) for april in response to covid-19. I wouldn't be surprised if they extend it.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I was able to "rebrand" a TracFone LG Stylo 3 to SafeLink. I'm in California and SafeLink gave me a GSM AT&T sim/phone, the ZTE zFive G. SafeLink where I am was running on Net10. I'm not on SafeLink anymore, but they wouldn't let me port my number in. I had to accept the number they assigned. So I ported my main number to AT&T and from there to TracFone, and let SafeLink go.

You should contact them and ask if you can buy a TF to use as your SafeLink phone if you want to upgrade. If it needs a T-Mobile sim I think Simple Mobile runs on T-Mo. You should contact SafeLink though before buying a phone for that.
    For keep everything simple, I'm better off just using the unlocked Verizon S7 with the Safelink Tmobile SIMm since I already know it works and the SIM is tied to it now, and use a Verizon Tracfone on Tracfone. There is reception for both here, so it's no big deal to have a Tmobile SIM.

At least... um, I think? Does Tracfone still lock SIM cards to devices like they used to? I know on basic phones, they were single-use and you couldn't swap them. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had an LTE device on Tracfone before.

Safelink is supposed to let you port your number, even if they issue a number. the SIM package is the fold out style just like Tracfone, and it tells you to call them to port your number. There is a way even if a number is already active on the account. They just cancel the number you don't want and replace it with the one you want to port in. If they say they won't, they are lying. They might have to send a new SIM card to compete it though.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In my friends case, he came to Safelink Wireless from outside of Tracfone.. I think he ported over from T-mobile IIRC. And then once he was on Safelink, i could transfer him (activate) to any Tracfone branded phone. So i transferred his account to the TF iPhone Se so he could unlock it one day and use it internationally if he wanted. The phone with promo code was $100.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In my friends case, he came to Safelink Wireless from outside of Tracfone.. I think he ported over from T-mobile IIRC. And then once he was on Safelink, i could transfer him (activate) to any Tracfone branded phone. So i transferred his account to the TF iPhone Se so he could unlock it one day and use it internationally if he wanted.
    So, the SIM card that came with the Tracfone worked to activate on Safelink too? No extra SIM card needed from Safelink?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So, the SIM card that came with the Tracfone worked to activate on Safelink too? No extra SIM card needed from Safelink?
    No my friend has never needed a sim from safelink wireless other than the initial phone/sim he got when he signed up (which I think was a standard TF LG flip phone).. He just transferred from this first phone to tracfone branded smartphone and then again as desired.

(using the online chat on Tracfone.com to transfer account from old TF phone to activate the new TF phone)
    Last edited by tomseys; 04-02-2020 at 02:51 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. I don't have another phone that accepts SIM cards at all to test that with unfortunately. I have always sold my old LTE phones after 3-6 months of non-use, rather than keep them and let them get down to worthless in value.

I guess my plan is to wait and see if Tracfone corp or their ebay store responds to the fraudulent "deal" they are selling. I might just need to call Tracfone corp on Google Hangouts dialer via WIFI on the really old CDMA non-LTE Android, so I won't have the S7 tied up on the call with them when they'll want me to reboot it and such. I have to at least wait until after Apr 7 which is the ebay deadline for them to respond before I can ask ebay to step in. Somebody on HoFo mentioned that they do at the very last minute before the time runs out.