Thread: Early Payoff

Feedback Score

Early Payoff

I recently upgraded my phone through retentions and was given $10/month ($300 total) off the price of the phone. I want to use the dual sim feature, so the phone needs to be unlocked. I contacted AT&T and they said they cannot unlock the device until it is paid off. If I were to pay off the phone, would it mess up my bill credits?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You would not receive bill credits if you pay the full balance.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    You would not receive bill credits if you pay the full balance.
    That is what I was afraid of. Time to see if any of these third party services can unlock the device while it's still under an installment agreement.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrugman View Post
    I recently upgraded my phone through retentions and was given $10/month ($300 total) off the price of the phone. I want to use the dual sim feature, so the phone needs to be unlocked. I contacted AT&T and they said they cannot unlock the device until it is paid off. If I were to pay off the phone, would it mess up my bill credits?
    It depends on why you want to use the second SIM feature. For travel internationally? (if so, you probably have time to come up with something). Just for a second number on the phone (such as a work number)? If it is a number on the ATT network, even a MVNO, it should work locked. You just wouldn't be able to use a number on the T-Mobile network, Verizon network, or the legacy Sprint network. Or smaller carriers like USCC.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    My work phone is Verizon. I’m tired of carrying around two phones for the one call I get per month. I’d rather just have it on one device. I might be out of luck though.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Can call forwarding be used? I can understand paying off a hone early if you have the cash but giving up over $200 is a different thing.

Device(s)
    Moto X4 & G7; Pixel 3a & 4xl; Nexus 5x; IPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrugman View Post
    That is what I was afraid of. Time to see if any of these third party services can unlock the device while it's still under an installment agreement.
    I don’t understand why so many people enter what amounts to a two-year contract with these cell phone providers. Always try to buy your phone outright so you have the freedom to move.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Not everyone can afford to even come up with $200-300 up front for a phone, and "free" financing is more cost effective than using a credit card that may be over 20%/year.

Back when I bought phones on contract, you didn't get a discount out of contract so might as well buy a discounted phone.