Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5G coming to Tracfone!

Feedback Score
    Boz1 , yep TV antenna along with a Roku on the TV with only free channels. That`s my smart choice. No longer use a satellite dish.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    With some predicting an economic collapse or severe depression at a minimum, we may be back to cans and wire, for those who can afford it.

How to make a cup/wire phone:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6XNhfUTsDU

I personally think light bulbs are overrated. Candles, used safely, are where it's at. Who needs all this artificial light messing up our sleep cycles.
    Last edited by tomseys; 04-06-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Packerjim View Post
    Boz1 , yep TV antenna along with a Roku on the TV with only free channels. That`s my smart choice. No longer use a satellite dish.

I used to do that. Now I use the Roku with an internet only package from Spectrum which gives me like 40 premium channels (including the sub channels) plus like 15 other cable channels (tru tv, cnn etc) plus regular local TV channels, plus 200 MB internet for $115 a month. Not sure if I will continue ongoing since cable is so boring lately. Plus I have Netflix which I hardly ever watch (more for my father). Plus Amazon prime which has stuff.. all through Roku.

When I did it with antenna it was difficult to get a consistent signal being stuck between buildings even with a very good antenna.

Feedback Score
    Here's what I'm doing. I'm really considering getting rid of Netflix, because there is SO much free content available. But I haven't quite gotten to that point yet.

SUBSCRIPTION TV
    $16 Philo (Legacy Plan; $20/58 Channels New Subscribers) (45 Channels, 3 Streams, DVR)
    $5.99 Hulu (2 Streams)
    $12.99 Netflix (2 Streams)
    $0 Prime Video (Included W/Amazon Prime) (3 Streams)
    $14.99 Independent Cable "Local+" Package (Incl $10/mo Bundle Discount) (44 Channels, 3 Streams, DVR)
    $0 FREE STREAMING SERVICES*
    ---------
    $49.97/mo + Tax
    -$12.99 Netflix
    ---------
    $36.98/mo IF Eliminate Netflix

*FREE STREAMING SERVICES
    ABC NEWS abcnews.go.com/Live
    CBS NEWS cbsnews.com/live
    COMET comettv.com
    CourtTV courttv.com
    CRACKLE crackle.com (Previously Sony; Sony Still Partner)
    CW SEED cwseed.com
    HOOPLA hoopladigital.com [Need Library Card]
    IMDB imdb.com/tv (Amazon)
    KANOPY kanopy.com [Need Library Card]
    NEWS livestream.com/news [Local News]
    NEWSNET yournewsnet.com
    NewsON newson.us [Local News]
    PBS pbs.org
    PLEX plex.tv
    PLUTO TV pluto.tv (ViacomCBS)
    POPCORNFLIX popcornflix.com
    RED BULL TV redbull.com
    SLING sling.com [Free Options]
    SNAGFILMS snagfilms.com
    STIRR stirr.com (Sinclair)
    THE CW cwtv.com
    THE ROKU CHANNEL therokuchannel.roku.com
    TUBI tubitv.com (Fox Corporation-Pending, Expected 6/20)
    VUDU vudu.com [Free Signup/Login; Can Use walmart.com Acct] (Walmart)
    YOUTUBE shorturl.at/bMOQX [Movies]
    XUMO corp.xumo.com (Comcast)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Here's what I'm doing. I'm really considering getting rid of Netflix, because there is SO much free content available. But I haven't quite gotten to that point yet.

SUBSCRIPTION TV
    $16 Philo (Legacy Plan; $20/58 Channels New Subscribers) (45 Channels, 3 Streams, DVR)
    $5.99 Hulu (2 Streams)
    $12.99 Netflix (2 Streams)
    $0 Prime Video (Included W/Amazon Prime) (3 Streams)
    $14.99 Independent Cable "Local+" Package (Incl $10/mo Bundle Discount) (44 Channels, 3 Streams, DVR)
    $0 FREE STREAMING SERVICES*
    ---------
    $49.97/mo + Tax
    -$12.99 Netflix
    ---------
    $36.98/mo IF Eliminate Netflix

*FREE STREAMING SERVICES
    ABC NEWS abcnews.go.com/Live
    CBS NEWS cbsnews.com/live
    COMET comettv.com
    CourtTV courttv.com
    CRACKLE crackle.com (Previously Sony; Sony Still Partner)
    CW SEED cwseed.com
    HOOPLA hoopladigital.com [Need Library Card]
    IMDB imdb.com/tv (Amazon)
    KANOPY kanopy.com [Need Library Card]
    NEWS livestream.com/news [Local News]
    NEWSNET yournewsnet.com
    NewsON newson.us [Local News]
    PBS pbs.org
    PLEX plex.tv
    PLUTO TV pluto.tv (ViacomCBS)
    POPCORNFLIX popcornflix.com
    RED BULL TV redbull.com
    SLING sling.com [Free Options]
    SNAGFILMS snagfilms.com
    STIRR stirr.com (Sinclair)
    THE CW cwtv.com
    THE ROKU CHANNEL therokuchannel.roku.com
    TUBI tubitv.com (Fox Corporation-Pending, Expected 6/20)
    VUDU vudu.com [Free Signup/Login; Can Use walmart.com Acct] (Walmart)
    YOUTUBE shorturl.at/bMOQX [Movies]
    XUMO corp.xumo.com (Comcast)

What do you pay for internet service if you don't mind sharing?
    Last edited by tomseys; 04-06-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    What do you pay for internet service? Sorry if I missed it.
    Yeah, you didn't miss it.

The "Independent Cable" company I referenced above is our ONLY option. We have no AT&T or any other wired telephone company or any other cable company service available at our location. In addition to that, the local independent cable company internet service has a STUPIDLY low 250GB monthly data allowance!

While the 250GB data is low, we've been able to stay within that in "normal" times. I'm in an "essential" industry, so I'm still working, but my wife works in a school, so our internet usage has been up since she's home all day now. Luckily, I talked to the cable company, and they offered 3 months of unlimited internet, regularly an additional $30/mo, due to the coronavirus, so at least that was nice.

Also, to keep our costs down, we have the lowest internet speed available, 25/3. That sounds low in today's world, but we have no trouble streaming anything with no buffering, even watching 2 sources and surfing the internet at the same time.

All that to say, we pay $39.99/mo for 25/3/250GB internet plus a required $10/mo for an ONT (fiber NOT Coax coming to the house), for which there's no option to buy our own like there would be if we could use a regular cable modem. So internet costs $49.99/mo. That seems like a poor deal compared to what we could get from Spectrum or Comcast, but we have no other option.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I remember like 10 years ago I used to get 3 Mbps with Verizon DSL... really it was like 2.2, it was all I could get... and I was still able to run Netflix on Roku and sometimes get an HD signal. Now w/spectrum I have 200 Mbps down and 15 up.. for that i pay $69.99 if I got it with nothing else. With my cable channels, premium channels, local channels etc total it's $115. Comes with HB0, Showtime, Epix, Starz + encore, the movie channel. They all play the same crap over and over. The spectrum service is ok ... I don't like their Roku app.

Feedback Score
    I had TWC, then Spectrum after Charter bought TWC, for 10 years. I had no complaints. At the end, we had 400/20, and my wife and I would switch account names every year to keep the promos going. So, 400/20/Unlimite plus Gold TV, which at the time included all the premium movie channels, our total Spectrum bill was still only $145/mo on the last promo we had.

I miss Spectrum, lol!

Here's our total internet + TV now. Like I said, I'm contemplating getting rid of Netflix, which would save $12.99/mo.

$39.99 Internet (25/3/250)
    $10.00 ONT (Modem)
    $24.99 Independent Cable "Local+" Package ($9.99/mo Cable + $15/mo Broadcast Retrans Fee)
    $5.00 StreamTV (3 Streams, 100 Hours DVR, No Cable TV Equipment Needed)
    -$10.00 Bundle Discount
    ----------
    $69.98 + Tax TOTAL TO CABLE COMPANY
    $16.00 Philo
    $5.99 Hulu
    $12.99 Netflix
    $0 Prime Video (Included W/Amazon Prime)
    ----------
    $104.96 + Tax TOTAL FOR INTERNET & TV

Feedback Score
    I have very basic FiOS TV service. Basically what you can get with an antenna (which works poorly at my house or I would use it). I know nothing about premium channels. In fact, I use an analog TV that FiOS provides a converter box for. It cannot play HD channels anyway.

So during this stay-at-home thing, FiOS decided to unlock a bunch of movie channels, like around ten of them, to keep people entertained. So I loaded the compatible ones into my remote and scrolled through the lot. It was a bunch of boring junk and I got rid of them a couple days later. It took too long to surf past them.

I don't see why the entertainment industry even puts the effort into packaging these things for the cable industry. Like here's a bunch of junk so you can boast that you offer 2000 channels.

Also, the cable quality can be pretty lousy on occasion due to the signal compression within the system. I understand that antenna is much better.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Also, the cable quality can be pretty lousy on occasion due to the signal compression within the system. I understand that antenna is much better.
    I see no difference between Fios & OTA HD. The additional compression is the result of additional channel packing which both sources suffer from. Mosquito noise & tiling are more frequent than they used to be.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I use a TV antenna and a Roku with Sling, Prime Video, and PlutoTV mainly. Just recently I have been thinking of switching Sling to Philo, but I just can't make up my mind tho.

Feedback Score
    I've actually been pretty impressed with the streaming picture quality using any of the streaming services I mentioned above.

Back when I had Spectrum, until August, 2019, I also used the Spectrum TV app on Roku on 4 TVs. That app was hit or miss, and the picture was sometimes pixelated or programs buffered, despite the Spectrum 400 Mbps internet speed at the time. The Spectrum TV app didn't have cloud DVR by the time we canceled/moved. I'm not sure if cloud DVR is available in the Spectrum TV app yet or not.

So far, the local independent streaming TV app has been very good with no buffering or pixilation even using their 25 Mbps internet. They discontinued it in January, but that was to change developers, and it became available again in April.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I forgot to mention that I initially had TWC before Spectrum took over. Before that I had the Verizon service, and I think I paid $130 a month for 3 mbps internet and phone service - no cable or tv nothing when I had Verizon.

So then I got TWC, which was relatively an unbelievable deal, the triple play, with a $300 gift card visa promotion. When I signed up for it, I got a rep who told me everything wrong. As a result, I lost my home phone number and wasn't eligible for the gift card. I pursued the gift card since I had kept a copy of the chat when I signed up so as a result they gave me a year of free premium channels and took a lot off the bill per month. I was paying like $70 for a monster package.

So on renewal I called in, said i was thinking of leaving, and they gave me a good deal on the next year. So then I decided to really leave and I went totally antenna-hardcore for 3-6 months. They then sent me a promo for the internet based basic/local/premium channels and I've done that since.

I've never liked the spectrum app. Some of the sub channels don't work well. It's had problems with closed captioning. It doesn't hold favorites etc. It's been better lately but still the worse designed/behaved Roku app I have.

Since I have the spectrum app and internet special from spectrum, with all my premium and some of the basic channels that are a part of the spectrum special, HBO, Showtime etc, I also use the individual apps for them... so I'll use HBO's individual app and Showtimes app (on Roku). So if I ever have a problem with spectrum app I'll just go over to the app of the channel and those work much better. Oftentimes I just the spectrum as a guide and watch with the individual app. They also have very deep on-demand offerings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The "Independent Cable" company I referenced above is our ONLY option. We have no AT&T or any other wired telephone company or any other cable company service available at our location. In addition to that, the local independent cable company internet service has a STUPIDLY low 250GB monthly data allowance!

While the 250GB data is low, we've been able to stay within that in "normal" times.
    That's the situation around here if out of town a couple of miles. AT&T wired phone system does not provide DSL. Right in town it is U-Verse that needs fiber optic cable near your location. Many use "fixed wireless" which is OTA line-of-sight and can't be used everywhere. Too many hills and trees here. Satellite is a bad joke. The data caps can be pretty low with the alternate systems. Friend of mine found that out quickly running a Roku.

Thanks for the free streaming sites! Only thing I have been using is Curiosity Stream which does not cost much.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 04-06-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I hardly use any data. Makes no difference to me whether it's 3G, 4G, or 5G.
    You are thinking phones, but the promise of 5G has other applications. Wireless streaming could be a real game changer, and an end of the cable company monopolies. It will be real interesting to see where that goes as 5G get's built out more. T-Mobile has quite a lead in capability. Verizon has put their eggs in the wrong basket with mm-wave only.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast