Thread: Chatr FINALLY has throttled LTE

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Chatr FINALLY has throttled LTE

Chatr FINALLY moved some of their customers to throttled LTE service. But only if you're a nationwide customer and have an LTE-compatible SIM card.

Sigh. So my old Mobilicity to Chatr plan would not qualify for throttled LTE and would still be stuck on only 3G bands 2 and 5.

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/co.../data_services

LTE enablement

5. I heard chatr is switching its wireless network from 3G to LTE, what does that mean for me?

At chatr, we believe in providing an affordable and predictable wireless service which is why we are moving you to our LTE network. With this change, you will enjoy a reliable and consistent wireless experience with the continued 3G data speeds you expect.
    This update will happen automatically so there will be no disruption to your current service and you can continue to use your wireless device. Once connected, you will see your device network indicator icon switch from 3G to LTE.

Please note in some cases your chatr mobile plan, device or SIM may not be LTE compatible.

6. How can I connect to the chatr LTE Network?

If you have a chatr nation-wide plan, LTE enabled device and SIM you will automatically be moved to the LTE network. With this change, there will be no disruption to your current service. Once moved, you will see your device network indicator switch from 3G to LTE.

7. When will I be moved to the chatr LTE Network?

If you have a chatr nation-wide plan, LTE enabled device and SIM you will automatically be moved to the LTE network. If you do not see this change, please turn on and off your device.

If this problem persists, please contact us.

If you do not have a chatr nation-wide plan or LTE compatible device and/or SIM, we encourage you to switch to one that will work on the LTE network. With this change, youíll enjoy a reliable and consistent wireless experience with the 3G data speeds you expect.

To change your plan, visit my chatr.

Not sure if your device or SIM is LTE compatible, please contact us.

8. I have a chatr in-zone plan, will I be moving to the LTE Network?

chatr in-zone plans are not supported by the LTE Network.

To take advantage of the LTE network, we encourage you to upgrade to a nation-wide plan; With this upgrade, youíll enjoy a reliable and consistent wireless experience with the 3G data speeds you expect.

To change your plan, visit my chatr.

9. I have an older device, how can I find out what network it supports?

To see what network your device supports please consult your device manufacture.

If you arenít sure and would like more information, please contact us.

If you currently donít have a LTE compatible device, we encourage you to switch to one that will work on the LTE network. With this change, youíll enjoy a reliable and consistent wireless experience with the 3G data speeds you expect.

10. How can I find out if my SIM is compatible on the LTE Network?
    If you arenít sure and would like more information, please contact us.

11. What is LTE?

LTE, or "Long Term Evolutionď is superior to previous technologies such as 3G and 4G HSPA+. LTE is built to handle more users doing more complex things and covers 97% of Canadians. With this upgrade, chatr customers will maintain their 3G speeds while enjoying a reliable and consistent wireless experience from the LTE Network.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if they're doing the rollout in phases? My dad's phone is LTE compatible and the SIM is only 6 or 7 months old and it will only connect to 3G. LTE is much more reliable and available where he lives
    Man gets hit by Brick Phone! Ouch!

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 64GB / Nexus 4 / BB Q5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido / Wind / Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans_Moleman View Post
    Does anyone know if they're doing the rollout in phases? My dad's phone is LTE compatible and the SIM is only 6 or 7 months old and it will only connect to 3G. LTE is much more reliable and available where he lives
    Iím in the same boat. I have a spare line with chart. Using an iPhone 5C that is definitely LTE compatible. SIM is tops 7 months ordered from them direct.

But as of yesterday even after rebooting the device Iím still only one 3G even though I have LTE for data
    And voice selected to be used.

Ohh well one day Iím sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QS2k5 View Post
    Iím in the same boat. I have a spare line with chart. Using an iPhone 5C that is definitely LTE compatible. SIM is tops 7 months ordered from them direct.

But as of yesterday even after rebooting the device Iím still only one 3G even though I have LTE for data
    And voice selected to be used.

Ohh well one day Iím sure.

I sent a message to Chatr support and they said it's happening in waves but everyone should be using LTE by the end of next month

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido / Wind / Telus
    Feedback Score
    I sent a message to Chatr support and they said it's happening in waves but everyone should be using LTE by the end of next month
    Good to know. Appreciate it!

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't look like VOLTE is supported by Chatr yet, at least on iPhones. I popped in Chatr SIM in a few different iPhones and as soon as phone call is made LTE always drops to 3G. Hopefully they end up supporting it soon, LTE is a lot more reliable for just about everything than 3G in rural areas

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't look like VOLTE is supported by Chatr yet, at least on iPhones. I popped in Chatr SIM in a few different iPhones and as soon as phone call is made LTE always drops to 3G. Hopefully they end up supporting it soon, LTE is a lot more reliable for just about everything than 3G in rural areas
    The Big 3 only offer VoLTE (and Wi-Fi Calling) on their tier 1 and 2 brands: Rogers/TELUS/Bell and Fido/Koodo/Virgin.

Zoomer (owned by Rogers) has full-speed LTE but no VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling.

Tier 3 brands Chatr/Public/Lucky don't have VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido / Wind / Telus
    Feedback Score
    lol and I still havenít gotten LTE on my iPhone 5c. Itís been restarted lots. LTE is selected too. So odd.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    lol and I still havenít gotten LTE on my iPhone 5c. Itís been restarted lots. LTE is selected too. So odd.

They're still doing the rollout and it will continue to the very end of the month. I was told that if it doesn't switch to LTE by June 1st, to contact them

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido / Wind / Telus
    Feedback Score
    They're still doing the rollout and it will continue to the very end of the month. I was told that if it doesn't switch to LTE by June 1st, to contact them
    Well I even switched from an 5c to an iPhone 6s to make sure it wasnít a phone issue. Though the 5C does have the proper bands.

Anyways no LTE in Vancouver on chatr yet.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido / Wind / Telus
    Feedback Score
    I can now confirm Iím showing LTE on my iPhone 6s. Itís finally here. Now Rogers can start refarming their 3G bands!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can now confirm Iím showing LTE on my iPhone 6s. Itís finally here. Now Rogers can start refarming their 3G bands!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Great news! Thatís the Vancouver area, right?

Rogers is scheduled to end their 2G service at the end of this year, so donít hold your breath waiting for 3G to disappear any time soon. LOL

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido / Wind / Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    Great news! Thatís the Vancouver area, right?

Rogers is scheduled to end their 2G service at the end of this year, so donít hold your breath waiting for 3G to disappear any time soon. LOL
    Yes you are right Vancouver. I should have specified.

I havenít speed tested the throttle yet but will soon.

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Yes you are right Vancouver. I should have specified.

I havenít speed tested the throttle yet but will soon.

I get between 2.2 and 2.5mbps with throttled LTE - comparable speeds to HSPA+, and never actually get the advertised 3mbps.

The biggest difference I find is the ping is much lower. It was usually 60ms on HSPA+, and is 18ms-30ms on LTE.

Also, the strange connection delays on Chatr HSPA+ (not sure how else to describe it - where you try to load something and nothing even starts loading for many seconds) is gone with LTE.

It's pretty usable now this way - even had some audio Teams Meetings and had no problems.

I'm not sure the price point is really worth it anymore as they kept raising the prices from when it was Mobilicity, but that's another conversation. $60 for 20gb isn't really as much of a deal anymore when you can get Bell LTE (soon to be 5G) for only $15 more than that.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido / Wind / Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_kool View Post
    I get between 2.2 and 2.5mbps with throttled LTE - comparable speeds to HSPA+, and never actually get the advertised 3mbps.

The biggest difference I find is the ping is much lower. It was usually 60ms on HSPA+, and is 18ms-30ms on LTE.

Also, the strange connection delays on Chatr HSPA+ (not sure how else to describe it - where you try to load something and nothing even starts loading for many seconds) is gone with LTE.

It's pretty usable now this way - even had some audio Teams Meetings and had no problems.

I'm not sure the price point is really worth it anymore as they kept raising the prices from when it was Mobilicity, but that's another conversation. $60 for 20gb isn't really as much of a deal anymore when you can get Bell LTE (soon to be 5G) for only $15 more than that.
    I totally agree. I literally only have a chatr line for one reason. Iím a Telus user and very happy. However I Rogers has some service i a few areas I visit once in a blue moon. So I keep it their $15 plan active for access to the Rogers network.

Always thought it was piss poor that Rogers could roam onto Telus or Bell but not vice versa.