Thread: ATT Drops Dividend Payments

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

ATT Drops Dividend Payments

Not usually a good sign for the financial health of the company.

I expect ATT to start cutting some brands and/or services with possible layoffs and big resignations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bar...us-51585941533
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't help that some of what ATT sells is "optional". Personal cash flow drops due to the layoffs? If you aren't locked in a DTV contract, go with OTA if in range for network and a single streaming service.

If you aren't in a device payment plan, you can drop to a prepaid service and save money.

I was recently on T-Mobile postpaid, but dropped to prepaid to save money. My data usage has dropped since I'm now tele working. So I have my home internet.

And ATT has made other decisions through the years that I don't agree with. 20 years ago, they had DSL which was competitive with the cable internet at the time. It was more reliable, and I went there from a cable company that used dialup for the upstream channel. Except for a few markets, they essentially decided to not invest in being an alternative for internet with the cable companies. Seemed to think that wireless internet was the way to go. Doesn't seem to work well for other than phone use as a replacement.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Yeah the TimeWarner Media and DirecTV acquisitions put MaBell in some very serious debt.

Just last year they had $29 billion in free cash so they were able to make their super expensive dividend payments from that.

This year they can’t pay. A few weeks ago they actually tried to take out a loan to help pay those dividends and expand their 5G network. https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/ne...182334934.html

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Yeah the TimeWarner Media and DirecTV acquisitions put MaBell in some very serious debt.

Just last year they had $29 billion in free cash so they were able to make their super expensive dividend payments from that.

This year they can’t pay. A few weeks ago they actually tried to take out a loan to help pay those dividends and expand their 5G network. https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/ne...182334934.html
    Att had cuts planned that are still on the books .. they had planned for March if you cut them .. you look like the villain.. which was a good PR move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    Att had cuts planned that are still on the books .. they had planned for March if you cut them .. you look like the villain.. which was a good PR move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed....

Feedback Score
    I suspect that most companies won't be paying any dividends for the next year or more.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Honestly, I expected this long before now. AT&T needs that money to finish digesting all it's purchases and actually do meaningful investment in the company.

NO company that provides infrastructure has any business being traded on the stock exchange anyway, as the shareholders will always bleed it dry before any meaningful investments are made.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7, Motorola Moto G LTE, Samsung Rugby Smart Nokia 6010
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T has already announced it will pay it's 52 cent a share dividend May 1. Barron's is just an opinion piece. They, and the weatherman, have a 50% chance of getting it right.
    And if you could get a zero per cent loan to re-finance a higher rate loan, wouldn't you do that??

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stclair49 View Post
    AT&T has already announced it will pay it's 52 cent a share dividend May 1. Barron's is just an opinion piece. They, and the weatherman, have a 50% chance of getting it right.
    And if you could get a zero per cent loan to re-finance a higher rate loan, wouldn't you do that??
    So they took out a loan to pay the dividends?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Did anyone actually read the article? Apparently not, because nowhere in it does it state AT&T has stopped paying dividends. The article is merely a look at what the author thinks it would take for AT&T to stop paying it, nothing more.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post

Didn't they also fire some 37,000-ish people after the TW acquisition? Mergers are rarely good for employees and customers

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    Did anyone actually read the article? Apparently not, because nowhere in it does it state AT&T has stopped paying dividends. The article is merely a look at what the author thinks it would take for AT&T to stop paying it, nothing more.
    And, the article didn't even ask what it would take to *stop* paying, but what it would take to "cut", (meaning "reduce" it.)

AT&T's current dividend is around 7%, compared to the 4+% Verizon pays. Utilities, like phone companies, typically pay high dividends. The premise of the article wasn't "AT&T is too broke to pay dividends", it was "since AT&T bought DirecTV and Time-Warner, they've become less of a 'phone' company (telephony is now only 40% of their revenue) and should probably pay a lower dividend, like other non-phone companies do."

Either way, yeah, the OP misread (or didn't read) the article.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 3a, Pixel 4XL, Moto X4, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I suspect that most companies won't be paying any dividends for the next year or more.
    This. If anyone has been reading business reports lately, there is a plethora of stories about many companies reducing their dividends.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This deal is expected to be completed about now.

“ AT&T said Wednesday it is selling its wireless and wireline operations in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands to Liberty Latin America, in a cash deal valued at $1.95 billion that will help the telecommunications and entertainment company pay down debt.”

AT&T sells Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Island assets to Liberty Latam in $1.95 billion deal

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/att...eal-2019-10-09