Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 3 users on Verizon Prepaid or MVNO? After layoff.

Feedback Score

3 users on Verizon Prepaid or MVNO? After layoff.

My wife got laid off today.

Currently my son and I are on Verizon Prepaid (8GB/15GB extra data plan) each. $45 for one line and $30 for the 2nd line. Total of $75

We want to stick to Verizon or Verizon MVNO and save some money. I have tried Red Pocket and had issues, so I don't think it's an option.

We need at least 4GB per person. Also would like VoLTE. My wife is going to need a midrange Android phone also.
    I use my line for work occasionally.

Options that I can think of:
    -Stick with Verizon Prepaid, 6GB x 3 lines=$85/month
    -Total Wireless $80/month for 60GB shared, 20GB/line. Not sure if total wireless is doing VoLTE, also if the service is any worse than Prepaid.
    -Boom Mobile, 4GB/line. $36x3=$108. not worth it.
    -Xfinity mobile, $60 for 10GB, plus $24 for additional 2GB=$84/month

Any other good options to consider?

Feedback Score
    Visible is an option.

3 lines $90 under party pay. $100/line BYOD or rebates of $200 if you purchase a phone with them. I switched my family over to Visible from Sprint. It's a few bucks more a month but with the rebates I was saving in the long run.

Keep your head up and I'm sure you all will be back to work asap.

Quote Originally Posted by mogulman1 View Post
    My wife got laid off today.

Currently my son and I are on Verizon Prepaid (8GB/15GB extra data plan) each. $45 for one line and $30 for the 2nd line. Total of $75

We want to stick to Verizon or Verizon MVNO and save some money. I have tried Red Pocket and had issues, so I don't think it's an option.

We need at least 4GB per person. Also would like VoLTE. My wife is going to need a midrange Android phone also.
    I use my line for work occasionally.

Options that I can think of:
    -Stick with Verizon Prepaid, 6GB x 3 lines=$85/month
    -Total Wireless $80/month for 60GB shared, 20GB/line. Not sure if total wireless is doing VoLTE, also if the service is any worse than Prepaid.
    -Boom Mobile, 4GB/line. $36x3=$108. not worth it.
    -Xfinity mobile, $60 for 10GB, plus $24 for additional 2GB=$84/month

Any other good options to consider?

Feedback Score
    In your situ. I'd stay VZW 3/$85. Right now added stress ain't worth $5.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman1 View Post
    ...We want to stick to Verizon or Verizon MVNO...Also would like VoLTE....
    Fortunately this is a non-issue.

All new activations on Verizon and their MVNOs have required a VoLTE phone for over a year. You couldn't activate a non-VoLTE phone if you wanted to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    In your situ. I'd stay VZW 3/$85. Right now added stress ain't worth $5.
    I'd agree with this. No time for MVNO hassles.
    Also OP, what's the status (locked/unlocked) of your Verizon phones ? Maybe you couldn't even take them to an MVNO.

Feedback Score
    We have unlocked phones.

Feedback Score
    Visible has UT&T&LTE plus hotspot.

$25/line with Visible a 4 member Party Pay. It's VERY easy to get in a full group of 4. Each group member pays their own bill. In your case, you'll know 3 of your group.

The only thing you'll have to check is if your phones are compatible with Visible. https://www.visible.com/shop/compatibility

Feedback Score
    I just can't recommend visible. I've read the official visible reddit on and off for a year, and IF you have a problem, good luck ever getting it resolved. IF you can port in successfully, then things seem to go okay, but IF you ever need customer support... you are **** out of luck.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Nobody needs 4gb. Take that unlock phone to cricket and get 2gb and ration your data. 3 lines for $45

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    That's what I was going to ask about visable. Thanks. Vz prepaid customer service has been pretty good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Nobody needs 4gb. Take that unlock phone to cricket and get 2gb and ration your data. 3 lines for $45

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Verizon's network really works better where we live. Just went to the Cricket website. That $15 plan is pretty enticing, though. Any idea how long it will last at that price? It says pricing subject to change.
    Last edited by mogulman1; 04-13-2020 at 11:27 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Boom Mobile Red Verizon has a one year $240 UL TT 5GB , apparently $200 on eBay (?). So, about $20 per month per line.

Have personally had Boom in the past and can vouch for their excellent CS. But, this plan requires upfront payment, so a chunk of $ you may

not want or have to spend.

Feedback Score
    It really depends on how much LTE data you need. If you think 5GB/mo LTE or more is desirable, then the $25/mo with Party Pay Visible plan is really hard to beat.

Visible CS has been very responsive and helpful. My mom briefly used Vzw Prepaid a few years ago, and their phone CS was almost useless; very hard to understand and not very competent.

Visible doesn't have phone CS, but they have multiple way to get support: text 99370, or message on Facebook Messenger (Visible Mobile), or contact @VisibleCare on Twitter, or chat via the Visible app. I personally used the text chat to contact them when I was helping my son get set up, and it was very fast and responsive.

If you're interested in finding out more about Visible, see https://www.howardforums.com/forumdi...repaid-Visible or https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Service-Report for my report on moving my son's line to Visible. After my son got Visible set up, Visible has been flawless in his first month of use.

Also, Visible is owned by Vzw, just like Vzw Prepaid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    Boom Mobile Red Verizon has a one year $240 UL TT 5GB , apparently $200 on eBay (?). So, about $20 per month per line.

Have personally had Boom in the past and can vouch for their excellent CS. But, this plan requires upfront payment, so a chunk of $ you may

not want or have to spend.
    boom! Mobile's listings on eBay were removed from eBay because the seller they were using copied the look / layout of Red Pocket's eBay listings. That's documented elsewhere on HoFo. I haven't checked to see if they have been relisted on eBay now or not.

However, boom! plans are still on Amazon. The UT&T&Data, 5GB/30 days LTE, is $199.99/360 days, which comes out to $16.59/30 days. The boom! Red (Vzw) network plan is at www.amzn.com/B0859QZ1DZ. mogulman1, if you decide to go with boom! on Amazon, make sure you check that boom! Red (Vzw) is the plan you're ordering, since you need the Vzw network.

Feedback Score
    I have 4 lines on Total Wireless, and coverage and speeds aren't any different from Verizon Prepaid from what I can notice (I used Verizon prepaid briefly about a year and a half ago).

If I were in your situation I wouldn't bother switching though. Switching providers is always a hassle.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast