Thread: My experience with Alcatel MyFlip

Feedback Score

My experience with Alcatel MyFlip

It was time to replace my Samsung Gusto 3 phone with the MyFlip. For those interested in using a flip phone, I am reporting my experience with it. Particularly for those switching from the popular old Gusto phones. And particularly for those buying one for the elderly.

I am less than enthused about the MyFlip compared to the features the Gusto had. For those looking for a flip phone, especially for the elderly, I would definitely check around for something else first. I cannot understand why a newer phone would have so many fewer features than a phone introduced over 6 years ago. And it's not like the Gusto 3 was some fancy flip. It was in the sub $20 range.

What I don't like about MyFlip:

--No custom ringtone per contact. With my Gusto, I was able to assign a specific ringtone per contact. From afar I could discern who was calling without having to pick up the phone.

--Along those same lines as no custom ringtone, there is no caller id voice announcement. I loved this Gusto feature to hear the caller's name announced on first ring.

--No call blocking features. With my Gusto, I was able to block all calls except for contacts. As Gusto was just a backup phone, I preferred not having my phone wide open to all callers. No more spam calls. This was particularly needed for the my elderly father who before I activated this feature would answer all calls wasting his minutes with telemarketers.

Without call blocking on the MyFlip, I may end up turning off the sound to avoid being woken up by spam calls.

--No keypad number announcement when pressed. My elderly father loves this verbal confirmation to reassure him he is pressing the right numbers when dialing. With MyFLip, he'll have to take his glasses out to make sure he is pressing the right numbers.

--No text message display on lockscreen. Not having to open up my phone to read a text message was convenient. This phone only shows a notification symbol indicating you have a message waiting. Also on the Gusto, if you didn't want to read the message on the tiny lockscreen, you could open up the phone and the message would automatically appear without pressing any button to find it. My elderly father needs this as he can never understand how to find messages otherwise.

--Long press power key doesn't turn off phone instead it requires another button pressing to select power off or restart.

--Phone back panel is almost mission impossible to remove so be sure you are all set with your SD and SIM card inserted before you snap it on for good. I used to have an extra battery for my Gusto for long trips like hiking. Can't see it will be easy to exchange batteries with this cover.

--Network signal is weak. I live in the Washington, DC area. Towers and signals galore everywhere. So far I can only get two bars for the most part with this phone. But as I am on lockdown, I haven't traveled far from home. So I will see if it gets better once I venture out more.

--No customizable accessibility features. Some of these missing accessibility features may be achieved by turning on the "readout" accessibility setting on the MyFlip. But that is the most annoying thing as it reads out everything on the screen nonstop. And I mean EVERYTHING, NONSTOP. It is a great feature for the blind but not sighted elderly who just need a little assistance. MyFlip won't allow you to customize what you want to hear like the Gusto did.

What I do like about the MyFlip:

-- Large screen and keypad. Great for the elderly

-- Notices screen shows all recent activity in a clear manner.

-- Importing contacts from Gmail was easy peasy.

-- Not many but a few decent apps available for a flip

-- Loud enough ringtones for the elderly.

I was also going to switch my father over to the MyFlip but given all of these limitations, I'll have him hold onto his Gusto until the very last minute. Who knows, maybe due to Coronavirus plague, Verizon may extend the CDMA cutoff deadline again. Maybe by then I'll find a better phone replacement for him. Or maybe Alcatel will have some software updates to include some more features (doubtful).

Anyhoo, that's my two cent review of the MyFlip

Feedback Score
    The Gusto 3 "was" maybe a $20 phone 6 years ago but check the prices for a new one today. 2-3x that.
    There are new 4G/VoLTE Flips out there in the $50-$100 price range that would be better to compare to the Gustos.

That said your list is good but you missed "short battery run time". That's the only thing I don't like about my 90yo mothers MyFlip.
    But for $20 it's great.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRebel View Post
    --Phone back panel is almost mission impossible to remove so be sure you are all set with your SD and SIM card inserted before you snap it on for good.
    For me this was the most annoying problem. I was about ready to get my crowbar. But for twenty bucks I can't complain.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Or maybe Alcatel will have some software updates to include some more features (doubtful).
    Yes, the Alcatel MyFlip sold by the Tracfone companies is rather crude compared to some earlier basic phones. There is an enhanced version (new OS) sold as the T-Mobile Go Flip 3 , and the AT&T SMARTFLIP. The Verizon Go Flip 5 may not have the same updates and is loaded with some of their bloat.

Feedback Score
    What I don't like about MyFlip:

--No custom ringtone per contact. With my Gusto, I was able to assign a specific ringtone per contact. From afar I could discern who was calling without having to pick up the phone.
    I just bought a MyFlip Tracfone at Walmart and activated it on PagePlus. Part of this phone's problems is that features are buried in odd menus and hard to find. You can actually add a custom ringtone for contacts.

• Scroll to Contact you want to customize.
    • Press: Options -> Edit (right soft key) -> OK
    • Scroll down to ADD (bottom selection), click OK
    • Scroll down to ADD RINGTONE. You can now press Select for a built-in ringtone or select Music for something you added to memory.
    All the built-in ringtones sounded the same to my wife so I added some MP3s by connecting the phone to my computer

The same menu is where you can add multiple phone numbers for a contact, and change the phone type (home, work, etc)

edit: Just thought of something, since your phone is for parents. You can record some MP3's of the contacts saying things like, "Hello, this is your brother Jim calling you" or your own voice saying, "This is Dr. Smith's office calling" and use that as the ringtone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
    I just bought a MyFlip Tracfone at Walmart and activated it on PagePlus. Part of this phone's problems is that features are buried in odd menus and hard to find. You can actually add a custom ringtone for contacts.

• Scroll to Contact you want to customize.
    • Press: Options -> Edit (right soft key) -> OK
    • Scroll down to ADD (bottom selection), click OK
    • Scroll down to ADD RINGTONE. You can now press Select for a built-in ringtone or select Music for something you added to memory.

All the built-in ringtones sounded the same to my wife so I added some MP3s by connecting the phone to my computer

The same menu is where you can add multiple phone numbers for a contact, and change the phone type (home, work, etc)

edit: Just thought of something, since your phone is for parents. You can record some MP3's of the contacts saying things like, "Hello, this is your brother Jim calling you" or your own voice saying, "This is Dr. Smith's office calling" and use that as the ringtone.
    Just saw your reply. Thank you for that info. Making an MP3 ringtone is a great idea.

On another note, I have to echo what others have pointed out about this phone's abysmal battery life. This thing dies within two days or so even when sitting idle on standby. I have no idea what is draining this phone so fast. Never had this problem with my Gusto phone. MyFlip is my backup phone so I don't think to check it everyday. I am almost at the point where I am just going to keep it plugged in at home. Because one issue I have is my home phone is set to simultaneously ring with MyFlip phone. So when it is dead, all my home calls go straight to voicemail because MyFlip voicemail will pick up right away because it is off. Grrrr.

I hesitate to recommend this phone for an elderly person who might not remember to charge it so often. Sheesh, if I can't remember, good luck with grandma. I am going to try to find a different phone for my father. He needs one with a more robust battery life because his phone sits idle for days on end and I fear it too will be dead whenever he needed it. Right now I still have him on his Gusto. And I am hoping due to all the Coronavirus chaos, maybe Verizon will extend the CDMA shutoff past this year. Then I can keep Dad on the Gusto even longer.

Edit: just saw a post about the new LG Classic Flip. It costs twice as much at the MyFlip but if it has a better battery life then it is worth it.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I inquired about the battery life of the new LG Classic flip and it looks really good. It has a 1470 mAh battery.

"I have been using it for two days, making calls, playing with menus and listening to FM Radio for an hour this morning. Checked battery and still have 82 percent."

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by Digital Rules; 05-28-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, I bought a MyFlip for my mother-in-law to replace her 3G phone on PagePlus. She's on the paygo plan, and we have miscellaneous data charges several times a day on this device (she mostly keeps the phone off).

She doesn't use data for browsing, and I assume since the device is not usually on, it's only a few cents per week -- I can see the usage in the OLAM (but not the cost), and since she makes so few calls, I've not gotten around to figuring out how to turn data off on it. I supply a $10 PIN every 120 days, and that usually keeps her to about a $25 balance, so i don't really care.

Nonetheless, I did want to warn others on Paygo plans about the potential data charges if not disabled...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    ..................She's on the paygo plan, and we have miscellaneous data charges several times a day on this device..................I did want to warn others on Paygo plans about the potential data charges if not disabled...
    It's not only the MyFlip. I noticed the same on my MyFlip but also my two E4s. I never have data on. So nothing to do with that. Mines a mere 2kb a week or so like clock work. Not enough for any $ to charge off my PayGo. PP CSR couldn't answer why and I presented the question on here a while back and no one knew.
    I thought it might be PP occasionally reaching out for their imei/sim auto pairing check.
    Since it doesn't show up as a $ charge I ignore it. Could be happening even on a monthly plan but since there's really no real charge no one notices.

Device(s)
    Pixel4XL, s10+, Axon 10P, Titan, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    It is happening on my Alcatel Go Flip V. It does deduct a few cents a week as HT mentioned. I will have to turn the data off to see if it still deducts balance.
    --
    CellGuru

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I hesitate to recommend this phone for an elderly person who might not remember to charge it so often. Sheesh, if I can't remember, good luck with grandma.
    My grandma-aged mother addresses that problem with her phone by never taking it off the charger unless she's taking it somewhere (Jitterbug flip fwiw and, yes, I've suggested multiple times that that's not a good idea).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveinmn View Post
    My grandma-aged mother addresses that problem with her phone by never taking it off the charger unless she's taking it somewhere (Jitterbug flip fwiw and, yes, I've suggested multiple times that that's not a good idea).
    "grandma-aged"? So, she's between mid-40s and 112-ish?

Feedback Score
    Happy days are here again. I ditched the MyFlip for the new LG Classic Flip. Here is a link to a discussion about it as well a couple of reviews, including my own.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...L-Quick-Review

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    "grandma-aged"? So, she's between mid-40s and 112-ish?
    Indeed. A lady never tells her age. Actually, she's more great-grandma aged, so pick toward the high end of the range.