Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Booster suggestions

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Booster suggestions

I am out in the rural Ottawa now. The nearest Bell tower is about 6 kms away. The direction/azimuth of the actual antennas on the site (according to what I've found online) put me right in the middle which I believe is why once I enter any building my signal goes to essentially unusable. The frequencies of the site are 700/850/1900Mhz. The next nearest tower is about 14kms away.

I am not familiar with carrier aggregation and such so I do not know which booster I should try out with a yagi external antenna? I was thinking maybe a booster that does 850&1900 only but do I really need the 700 band for faster data speeds?

I previously had a WeBoost Home system and it did improve voice and text messaging. My download speeds went up, upload speeds bombed big-time. So I returned it. My untechnical thoughts are the WeBoost did boost one frequency used for the downloads, but did not boost an alternative frequency used for the uploads. WeBoost advised me it was 100% compatible with 700/850/1900 frequencies.

Anyhow assist in my technical quest to get some reliable service at home and my farm?
    Last edited by SheeB; 04-17-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Feedback Score
    If you're that far from the site, only low bands would be useful. Low bands cannot be aggregated right now due to antenna size limitations.
    For LTE, your options are 700 (B12, B13) and 850 (B5). For 3G, your only option is 850 (B5).

Do all phones in your household support VoLTE? If not, you need 3G 850 MHz (B5) for voice.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    I've found that Bellus 850 Mhz LTE isn't lit up everywhere like Rogers is... Here in Kingston at least. Sheytoon is right as usual, if you get one that boosts 700 properly you should be good. I've had the same experience with Wilson / WeBoost boosters... Although they were the first I don' think they're the best. Solid RF and Antlent could be good contenders.

It depends how deep your pockets go, you can get a pretty stellar SolidRF kit for about $600 CA.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    If you're that far from the site, only low bands would be useful. Low bands cannot be aggregated right now due to antenna size limitations.
    For LTE, your options are 700 (B12, B13) and 850 (B5). For 3G, your only option is 850 (B5).

Do all phones in your household support VoLTE? If not, you need 3G 850 MHz (B5) for voice.
    So 6 kms away is considered "far" from the cell site eh? Cool.

We have an S9, and iPhone 8S in the household/farm. I know my S9 has voLTE for sure, have to check the IP8S though.

I know with the previous WeBoost Home booster I would get an improvement of signal on 1900, but as I mentioned my uplink speeds got terrible. As soon as I unplugged the booster, uplink speeds returned to the usual. This testing was done at the end of the house that seems to work just marginally "better".

So for better overall connectivity (voice&data) would I be looking for a specific booster that only does the lower band (700/B12, B13)?

Sorry, never good on the technical side of this stuff but I do read alot on here.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    I've found that Bellus 850 Mhz LTE isn't lit up everywhere like Rogers is... Here in Kingston at least. Sheytoon is right as usual, if you get one that boosts 700 properly you should be good. I've had the same experience with Wilson / WeBoost boosters... Although they were the first I don' think they're the best. Solid RF and Antlent could be good contenders.

It depends how deep your pockets go, you can get a pretty stellar SolidRF kit for about $600 CA.
    Thanks @Class. Yeah I've read alot of post from Sheytoon and indeed he's a guru with this stuff.

Ok, so the Weboost maybe was an issue then in my past testing. I want to go with as economical I can, but give me consistent voice service, and data speeds that are better than my Storm Wireless internet (10GB down & 1GB up) as I want to drop them and save myself the $85/month.

Feedback Score
    Sorry I totally misread your first message. I thought you were 14km from the site. 6km is still kinda far, but you can get 1900 MHz (B2) coverage at that distance depending on tower height and terrain. 14km definitely not

iPhone 8 will support VoLTE as long as you are not on Public Mobile. You should be good with a booster that supports LTE B12.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I have been using this site for information. I am not sure how up to date it is http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Also, using an app called LTE Discovery on my S9 for band identitification and signal strength.

So the red triangle is my approximate location. The tower to the upper right (closest to me) is approximately 5.5-6 kms from me. There is alot of dense bush in the site line between my house/farm and to this cell site. I have seen B2 outdoors as low as -109. But more commonly it's usually B12,B13 & B17 with -98 being the best signal I've seen.

Maybe the yagi antenna I previously used that came with the WeBoost isn't the best choice or just a poor antenna itself? I did confirm it does all the bands as recommended.

Name:  Bell Sites.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  31.3 KB
    Last edited by SheeB; 04-17-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Does your phone not support VoWiFi (WiFi Calling)? would cover you for your call / text as long as you are on Home WiFi....essentially activating as a tower.

If you get a "booster" it still has to go through your home internet.....

Unless you get a repeater and now you going to get into expensive situation
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Well I have been looking into this specifically today. The latest s/w update on my S9 has now removed the option in WiFi calling to select either WiFi or cellular network as priority. It now is set permanently to cellular network as the priority preference so even a faint signal will not allow the handset to go to WiFi calling anymore. Argh!

So I tried it out some more, and I have to turn off my data while at home, so it will actually go to WiFi Calling. Not impressed. I will forget to turn the data back on after I leave home for sure.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    So just some more info I found out today. I believe my handset actually has been connecting to #2 tower even though it's farther out at 14 kms. There is a better line of site I believe and more level terrain. Now that site also has omni antennas, so would that be of a benefit to me? If I did go with a booster would I be better off to aim the yagi antenna to this cell site rather than #1 tower which is closer, but has more terrain and poorer line of site?

Name:  Bell Sites 2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  31.4 KB

Feedback Score
    If you can give me the PCI and LTE band number that you are connected to, I can look up the site.

Dial *#0011# on your Samsung.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Ok, in the last 2 minutes here's what I've seen on my phone.

PCI 157 Band 2
    PCI 101 Band 17
    PCI 158 Band 13
    PCI 100 Band 13

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I've tried a couple other apps on my S9, and I can't get a reliable map of which tower(s) are serving my area.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SheeB View Post
    Well I have been looking into this specifically today. The latest s/w update on my S9 has now removed the option in WiFi calling to select either WiFi or cellular network as priority. It now is set permanently to cellular network as the priority preference so even a faint signal will not allow the handset to go to WiFi calling anymore. Argh!
    So this is a Telus / Public Mobile CSC option on Samsung phones and I too find it annoying Telus takes out features built into the firmware that allow the customer to choose their preference.

On Virgin Mobile / Bell their CSC allows toggling the option.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SheeB View Post
    I've tried a couple other apps on my S9, and I can't get a reliable map of which tower(s) are serving my area.
    Network Cell Info Lite for Android is a pretty good one, but the thing is I'm not sure where it finds the actual tower location from and feel its wrong sometimes.

For your location is might be advantageous to use an omni directional antenna instead of a yagi one and let the cell choose what's best, only because of the topology around...

$143.91 gets you a nice mountable omni and an indoor booster that will work for 2-3 meteres.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/700MHz-4G-LT...gAAOSwm4NbELIn

Or this one with a long extension cable for the indoor, although its omni as well. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/700MHz-LTE-4...QAAOSwFdFcal2W

Lots to choose from that's not WeBoost / Wilson on eBay.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast