Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Booster suggestions

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    So go the booster all installed and wired in the house with two panel internal antennas and it's night and day for my wireless service now!

I tried a couple of different yagi external antennas and I ended up going with the 11dBi one and upgraded the cabling from the cheap RG58 to LMR400 low loss.

No issues now with consistently pulling in band 2 (1900) which will offer me the most bandwith and as such my internet speeds improved from average 4-5Mbps to 40-45Mbps.

I also for the first time saw LTE+ on my S9, but that seems to be a rare anomaly. I think that has some to do with carrier aggregation which I don't really understand.

Overall, happy things have improved alot and my wireless service in the house is useable and stable.

Feedback Score
    Awesome news, thanks for sharing. And yes, LTE+ indicates CA is added or active. Main CA bands are 2-4-7-7, 2-4-12, 2-4-29, or any subset of those.

On a Samsung phone, dial *#0011# and you can see the PCC (main band), as well as SCC1, SCC2, SCC3 (labelled S1, S2, S3) when available.

Name:  signal-info.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  54.1 KB
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Sheytoon,

So according to http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html the site I am pointed to PCI:157 has 700(12/13/29)/850(5)/1900(2). Can you confirm this information is accurate? On the booster it does have 2100(4) capability, but I have it turned off. I didn't see anything show up in testmode.

So for CA (S1) I see band 29 BW:10 but the phone has to be in a very specific spot to go to LTE+

The booster has dials to select the gains on each band. I have 700 and 1900 at full gain, and 850 at about 1/2 gain. Any feedback on what I should set these to or look for in testmode on my S9 (*#0011#)?

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know how to correlate the CID (either HEX or Integer) to the actual cell location?

We're pointed straight at 240 degrees at the cottage, which is where the tower is, but it bounced from CID to CID. LTE Info Lite shows I'm connected to a tower location that doesn't exist on the ertyu site, so I don't believe it's there (I've seen this quite a bit in the app).

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Just another thought I had.

Does CA work with multiple towers?

Was thinking if I had such great luck with the improvement of signal indoors, that if I could improve the data speeds using either an omni antenna or a second yagi I could possibly look into going with a mobile hotspot like the ZTE MF288 and replace my horrendous Xplorenet internet service. I can't seem to maintain LTE+ currently except for a specific spot.

Feedback Score
    Inter-site CA is not deployed, although it can technically be supported under the right conditions.

Cell ID info has to be looked up from the operator's network, unless someone has compiled an accurate list somewhere.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Great info as always Sheytoon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SheeB View Post
    Sheytoon,

So according to http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html the site I am pointed to PCI:157 has 700(12/13/29)/850(5)/1900(2). Can you confirm this information is accurate? On the booster it does have 2100(4) capability, but I have it turned off. I didn't see anything show up in testmode.

So for CA (S1) I see band 29 BW:10 but the phone has to be in a very specific spot to go to LTE+

The booster has dials to select the gains on each band. I have 700 and 1900 at full gain, and 850 at about 1/2 gain. Any feedback on what I should set these to or look for in testmode on my S9 (*#0011#)?
    Just want to confirm if your booster for sure supports B4, not B1. Because if they only say 2100, it's not clear. We use B4 in North America, but B1 is used in other parts of the world.

I can look up the site info next week. Can you remind me which site you want details for?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Just want to confirm if your booster for sure supports B4, not B1. Because if they only say 2100, it's not clear. We use B4 in North America, but B1 is used in other parts of the world.

I can look up the site info next week. Can you remind me which site you want details for?
    So oddly enough, the Bell site (157) is almost adjacent to a Rogers site which does have band 4 (2100). So I turned the 2100 band on the booster back on and to full gain and no band 4 came available on my Telus S9 but it now did show up on my wife's Rogers iPhone 8S. I guess this does confirm that there is no band 4 on 157.

I was lucky that the booster setup with the yagi will boost for both carriers as the sites are pretty much next door to each other.

I am going to wait for the Amazon Chinese omni antenna (claims 9dBi) to come and will test it with the current Amazon Chinese yagi (claims 11dBi). Good chance the omni is likely going back to Amazon. I am not sure there's any actual benefit to having access to Bell (158) as well unless inter-CA was activated?

Based on the attached pictures, can you visually identify which site is the Bell (157) and which one is the Rogers?

Name:  Site 2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  51.6 KBName:  Site 1.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  50.9 KB

Feedback Score
    No, I can't tell from those pictures. With close-up pictures of the radio equipment, it would be easier to tell because in your area Ericsson RRUs are Rogers, Nokia RRUs are Bell.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Xplorenet

Quote Originally Posted by SheeB View Post
    Just another thought I had.

Does CA work with multiple towers?

Was thinking if I had such great luck with the improvement of signal indoors, that if I could improve the data speeds using either an omni antenna or a second yagi I could possibly look into going with a mobile hotspot like the ZTE MF288 and replace my horrendous Xplorenet internet service. I can't seem to maintain LTE+ currently except for a specific spot.
    We're on the Gen II Jupiter installed late last summer and the service has been excellent... No matter what time of day we essentially get what we paid for, so not too sure why Xplorenet get such a bad wrap, any light SheeB?

Pay for 5 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up and it's what we get. The up has been less lately, but 90% of client web traffic is down anyways.

Latency is as expected and quoted, in the 600-900ms range. For most tasks this is okay, I think they tweaked the TCP stack to return ACK's before they've actually happened...

Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Cell ID info has to be looked up from the operator's network, unless someone has compiled an accurate list somewhere.
    Brutal & thanks. Was looking for the Bell ones surrounded by this place, Jarvis lake:

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/...layers=a&pid=0

Feedback Score
    Actually I could be wrong about that. Zivan might know better. He's very good at finding data sources if they are reported by ISED. Have a look at cellmapper.net.

What format of Cell ID are you looking for? Can you give me an example?

Generally I would assume you want eNB ID + cell ID. This is 28 bits, with the most significant 20 for eNB, and 8 LSB for CID.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    We have an LTE panel line of site system and we are supposed to have 5/1 service and on a good day we might get 3/0.5 roughly half the speeds. I was told by a former Xplorenet installer that if they can get any kind of signal, they'll install regardless even if the quality is very poor.

In my case, I have a 300' ethernet cable run from a pole out in the front of our property. This can't be ideal and is likely the cause.

Speed tests on my phone averages now at 40/8Mbps on band 2 (without CA) and 72/10 (with CA) which is amazing compared to my current Xplorenet. Probably not anywhere near the potential, but it's at a point where I'm using my S9 as a hotspot (thanks to the newly installed booster). Lol.

I borrowed from a co-worker their ZTE MF279T hotspot and it works just like my S9 for speeds but according to ZTE's website it only does CA on bands 2+4, 2+12, 4+12, 2+5, 4+5, 2+7, 4+7, 7+7 (non-contiguous). I have only seen CA with my S9 on 2/29.

Anyone know what Telus compatible hotspot would be the best for me?

I am awaiting a callback from my Telus corporate rep to see what my options are for adding a hotspot to my account.

Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    No matter what time of day we essentially get what we paid for, so not too sure why Xplorenet get such a bad wrap, any light SheeB?

Pay for 5 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up and it's what we get. The up has been less lately, but 90% of client web traffic is down anyways.

Feedback Score
    I mean with those speeds I wouldn't be complaining... A ton better than Xplorenet, didn't realize you were on the LTE version (we're on satellite). Band 29, interesting didn't know that was even deployed here (it's downlink only).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast