Thread: Migrate Dish Boost Customers to T-Mobile Network

Feedback Score

Migrate Dish Boost Customers to T-Mobile Network

I saw a couple rumors of Boost Customers being moved to T-Mobile’s network under Dish. Boost customers would start using the T-Mobile network for VoLTE very soon.

Does anyone have more details? I don’t understand why they would do this without moving Sprint customers as well.

https://bestmvno.com/boost-mobile/bo...network-volte/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Not moving to tmobile network. Just extended roaming capabilities.april 28

Sent from my LM-Q720 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    There was some discussion about what was happening with Boost on the T-Mobile forum just today. Concern is that many on Boost (and some on Sprint) do not have phones compatible with T-Mobile. These phones could not roam or be switched over. Sprint does not have complete VoLTE on it's network, nor are a large number of the phones compatible. There will no CDMA voice capability on T-Mobile, so VoLTE is crucial.

Boost is small fry compared to what T-Mobile has to do to switch over Sprint customers. Hopefully Dish will offer some phone upgrade assistance to Boost customers. Network technology changes always require user upgrades to keep up. It's been a big thing with the Verizon CDMA shutdown.

Feedback Score
    I've been enjoying extended roaming on TMobile for 3 years with Sprint using a Boost MOBILE ZTE Max XL. Without issues. And All Boost mobile phones released in 2019 and 2020 include also LTE band 71 600 Mhz. Having extended roaming for Boost customers starting April 28 is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    There was some discussion about what was happening with Boost on the T-Mobile forum just today. Concern is that many on Boost (and some on Sprint) do not have phones compatible with T-Mobile. These phones could not roam or be switched over. Sprint does not have complete VoLTE on it's network, nor are a large number of the phones compatible. There will no CDMA voice capability on T-Mobile, so VoLTE is crucial.

Boost is small fry compared to what T-Mobile has to do to switch over Sprint customers. Hopefully Dish will offer some phone upgrade assistance to Boost customers. Network technology changes always require user upgrades to keep up. It's been a big thing with the Verizon CDMA shutdown.
    Sent from my LM-Q720 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    A friend with a Sprint iPhone 6S reports that she has been on T-Mobile continuously the last three days. She says it’s really fast. Bands observed so far are 2, 4, and 12. No band 41 yet apparently. VoLTE is working.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    A friend with a Sprint iPhone 6S reports that she has been on T-Mobile continuously the last three days. She says it’s really fast. Bands observed so far are 2, 4, and 12. No band 41 yet apparently. VoLTE is working.
    I assume that is roaming on T-Mobile? Signal must be better to allow roaming off of Sprint. How does your friend know the iPhone is on TMO instead of Sprint and the individual bands?

B41 has not been put on the T-Mobile network yet except in a few areas for test. Lots to do with the network consolidation.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I assume that is roaming on T-Mobile? Signal must be better to allow roaming off of Sprint. How does your friend know the iPhone is on TMO instead of Sprint and the individual bands? .
    Presumably it is roaming although since the merger that might be debatable. T-Mobile appears as the carrier name despite having a good Sprint signal at her residence. I walked her through using Field Test Mode to determine the bands.

Feedback Score
    there seems to be a plan to get all the boost(and i would imagine virgin mobile) customers moved over to the T-Mobile network (with new swappable between unlocked phone SIMs and possibly unlocking of phones when possible) before the DISH takeover as an MVNO that will come shortly. the rest of sprint may take a bit longer to be switched since T-Mobile is retaining those customers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    Presumably it is roaming although since the merger that might be debatable. T-Mobile appears as the carrier name despite having a good Sprint signal at her residence. I walked her through using Field Test Mode to determine the bands.
    This seems like forced roaming by the carrier, despite what is programmed in the SIM. Curious as to how you were able to see the range of TMO bands available using Field Test Mode. In Android signal apps you only see whatever band is active at a given time, and that changes. I assumed iPhone Field Test Mode did the same.

Feedback Score
    i think one of the conditions of dish buying BOOST is that the customers need to be on the tmobile lte network. i suspect that any customers with tmobile bands will be moved to the tmo network in the next few weeks. all new sales will be provisioned on the tmobile network once dish is in control. boost will probably be renamed to "sling" I imagine and will be the largest or one of the largest tmo mvnos.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Here's a recent article on the status of the Dish Boost takeover: https://www.lightreading.com/5g/dish.../d/d-id/759138

Key points seen to be:
    - Dish's acquisition the Boost hasn't happened yet but Dish still says they are still committed to the deal.
    - Dish may try to renegotiate the $1.4 billion price on the grounds that Boost is worth less now than it was when they agreed to the price last year.
    - Dish is supposed to close the deal no later than May 1st OR no more than 15 days after T-Mobile starts letting Dish provision customers on the T-Mobile network, which T-Mobile is required to do by June 30. So the Dish takeover could happen as late July 15 or possibly even later if Dish or T-Mobile asks for an extension.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wixon View Post
    i think one of the conditions of dish buying BOOST is that the customers need to be on the tmobile lte network. i suspect that any customers with tmobile bands will be moved to the tmo network in the next few weeks. all new sales will be provisioned on the tmobile network once dish is in control. boost will probably be renamed to "sling" I imagine and will be the largest or one of the largest tmo mvnos.
    I am worried about dish trying to force sling on everyone.

I tried sling during the free trial and did not like it. I tried to use the sling phone app and it would not login so I only tried the website.

I am happy with my grandfathered boost unlimited plan and want to keep it.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    - Dish is supposed to close the deal no later than May 1st OR no more than 15 days after T-Mobile starts letting Dish provision customers on the T-Mobile network, which T-Mobile is required to do by June 30. So the Dish takeover could happen as late July 15 or possibly even later if Dish or T-Mobile asks for an extension.
    It appears from SEC filings the July 1st date is set now.
    T-Mobile network account provisioning is already happening, with new devices and accounts requiring the TN SIMs and inability to change from TN (T-Mobile) back to Sprint SIMs on older accounts. Even stores are pushing the new network and most only have Sprint SIMs for limited replacements.

Even the wording on various Boost sites seems to indicate the ownership change happening 7/1, such as mentioned below.
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I am happy with my grandfathered boost unlimited plan and want to keep it.
    Looks like that should still be the case, but with additional network-level restrictions come July 15th, per Boost's Network Management site
    For customers on unlimited data handset plans on or after July 17, 2020, or customers who choose to upgrade their handsets or activate new lines of service on or after July 1, 2020, and are on unlimited data plans, that use more than 35GB of data during a single billing cycle (the QoS Threshold), Boost reserves the right to de-prioritize or to reduce the speed available to a customer down to 2G speeds for the remainder of that billing cycle.
    Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT