Thread: "Access Point Name settings are not available for this user"

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3, iPhone 7, Samsung Galaxy A30
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Mint
    Feedback Score

Unhappy "Access Point Name settings are not available for this user"

This is on a Samsung A30 which is dual SIM. After removing a Tracfone SIM and replacing with a Mint SIM, I'm getting the message "Access Point Name settings are not available for this user" and cannot save any new APN settings for SIM 2 with the Mint SIM in that slot.

To be clear, the "Add" button is present, it lets me create a new APN setting and edit the fields, but when I try to SAVE that setting it just goes back to the "Access Point Name settings are not available for this user" (and the new setting I just edited is apparently discarded)

If I remove the Mint SIM and put the Tracfone SIM back into SIM 2 slot, then I can save new APN settings no problem.

I even tried creating the Mint APN setting with the Tracfone SIM in there to see if that would work, and although it let me create and save the setting, when I put the Mint SIM back in, all the settings are gone and it's back to "Access Point Name settings are not available for this user".

Feedback Score
    you should see a button that allowed you to add the APN - https://android.stackexchange.com/qu...-for-this-user try turning your phone sideways.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    you should see a button that allowed you to add the APN - https://android.stackexchange.com/qu...-for-this-user try turning your phone sideways.
    The "Add" button is present. But it won't SAVE any settings I add. Running stock Android 10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toronado455 View Post
    The "Add" button is present. But it won't SAVE any settings I add. Running stock Android 10.
    have you already tried to reset your network settings ??

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    have you already tried to reset your network settings ??
    If you're referring to:
    Access Point Names>SIM 2>Reset to Default
    then yes, I've tried this.
    "Access Point Name settings are not available for this user"
    Last edited by toronado455; 04-24-2020 at 03:12 AM.

Feedback Score
    If you're referring to: Access Point Names>SIM 2>Reset to Default then yes, I've tried this many times. "Access Point Name settings are not available for this user"
    try this - Step 1 : WiFi turned on, and be in the range of a known WiFi network. Step 2 : Reboot the phone (may need to reboot several times, if it doesn't work the first time) Step 3 : When the phone reboots, it should connect to WiFi network. Step 4 : Go to APN settings and see that you can, now edit APN settings.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Actually, I just now got it working. But tried something different than what you suggested...

I removed the Tracfone SIM from SIM1 slot, and moved the Mint SIM from SIM2 slot to SIM1 slot and left SIM2 slot empty and rebooted the phone. As soon as it booted it received all the auto-configuration messages from Mint, and the APN settings were all automagically there. I tested MMS, WiFi, and Mobile Data and all are working. None of that was happening before.

Now... the big question is... do I try putting one of the Tracfone SIM cards back into the phone in SIM2 slot, or will that mess everything up again?

Feedback Score
    Now... the big question is... do I try putting one of the Tracfone SIM cards back into the phone in SIM2 slot, or will that mess everything up again?
    I recall other threads talking about this exact dual sim issue and what you can and can't do with the different sim positions. But you'll need to search the forums/threads. Try under prepaid forums. Each SIM position has it's on IMEI and how your carrier sees and manages that may be involved. Also recall some dual sims won't allow one cdma and one gsm. Whats your TF sim ?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Whats your TF sim ?
    The way I had this Samsung Galaxy A30 setup originally was I had a TF AT&T SIM in SIM1 slot. Then I added a TF T-Mobile SIM in SIM2 slot. Now the Mint SIM is in SIM1 slot and TF AT&T SIM is in SIM2 slot.
    Last edited by toronado455; 04-25-2020 at 12:54 AM. Reason: SMS problem resolved

Feedback Score
    Hi there. Interesting question. Thanks for the information.