Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Visible vs. Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question Visible vs. Verizon Prepaid

Hello! I'm looking at switching from Verizon postpaid to either Verizon Prepaid or Visible. Assuming that I compare with the Verizon Prepaid 3GB (doubled to 6GB) plan, Visible is close in price, and the 6GB vs. Unlimited doesn't matter to me.

I use all iOS/macOS devices, so I enjoy "Wi-Fi Calling on supported iCloud-connected devices" and might not have that on either, and I also know that Visible is LTE only (giving up 3G/1x fallback). What other details might help me make the decision between these two?

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyDH View Post
    Hello! I'm looking at switching from Verizon postpaid to either Verizon Prepaid or Visible. Assuming that I compare with the Verizon Prepaid 3GB (doubled to 6GB) plan, Visible is close in price, and the 6GB vs. Unlimited doesn't matter to me.

I use all iOS/macOS devices, so I enjoy "Wi-Fi Calling on supported iCloud-connected devices" and might not have that on either, and I also know that Visible is LTE only (giving up 3G/1x fallback). What other details might help me make the decision between these two?

Thanks!
    The main selling point for many is unlimited hot spot. But it is speed limited to 5mbps. Some report the hot spot not being throttled. But I'm guessing it's just a matter of time until Verizon gets it applied to everyone.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    The main selling point for many is unlimited hot spot. But it is speed limited to 5mbps. Some report the hot spot not being throttled. But I'm guessing it's just a matter of time until Verizon gets it applied to everyone.
    Name:  Adjustments.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  40.2 KB

The speed cap is lifted, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get speeds like post-paid.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icdvtrvt View Post
    The speed cap is lifted, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get speeds like post-paid.
    In my area, I only tend to see Verizon speeds in the 10–20 Mbps range (sometimes in the 30s at really quiet times). So speed is not a strong suit here on Verizon anyway.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    I’m getting speeds in the mid 20s today on my new account. Same speeds on hotspot but I only tried using one device on hotspot not multiple devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Not all (prepaid) services support call continuity between Apple devices.

The only prepaid service that I know for sure supports this feature is T-Mobile Prepaid.

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

I emailed them and asked them about that. They sent me an email stating that hot spot is indeed throttled to 5mbps. I think it's just going to take them a little bit of time to get it applied to everyone. But knowing Verizon, they will apply it. Especially with everyone putting sim cards in hot spot devices.

Feedback Score

Come again

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Come again

It's very dependant on location, spectrum holdings in the area, and how close you are to one of Visible's cores among other factors.

Also, speeds right now may be affected by usage changes due to COVID-related "lockdowns" and temporary spectrum leases from Dish.

In central KC, using Verizon prepaid, I typically get about 1/4 speed (maxing around 25Mbps) vs my roommates with priority data on Verizon Postpaid (they typically get 80+ Mbps during peak). I have an AT&T SIM in my secondary SIM slot that typically gets double or triple speeds than my VZW account, for reference.

Deprioritized data limits tend to become less stringent the further away from central cities one is, from personal experience traveling across multiple states.

Also OP:
    Some rural areas, Verizon prepaid has access to CDMA/LTE on partner networks as well as the legacy CDMA Verizon network. Visible does not have CDMA access and in areas has little to no LTE access on partner networks (LTEiRA).

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    It's very dependant on location, spectrum holdings in the area, and how close you are to one of Visible's cores among other factors.

Also, speeds right now may be affected by usage changes due to COVID-related "lockdowns" and temporary spectrum leases from Dish.

In central KC, using Verizon prepaid, I typically get about 1/4 speed (maxing around 25Mbps) vs my roommates with priority data on Verizon Postpaid (they typically get 80+ Mbps during peak). I have an AT&T SIM in my secondary SIM slot that typically gets double or triple speeds than my VZW account, for reference.

Deprioritized data limits tend to become less stringent the further away from central cities one is, from personal experience traveling across multiple states.

Also OP:
    Some rural areas, Verizon prepaid has access to CDMA/LTE on partner networks as well as the legacy CDMA Verizon network. Visible does not have CDMA access and in areas has little to no LTE access on partner networks (LTEiRA).

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I really hope vzw can keep using the Dish spectrum. I even wish vzw got AWS 4 as they need the more than att does. Funny you say that att is faster than VZW at my place to.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I emailed them and asked them about that. They sent me an email stating that hot spot is indeed throttled to 5mbps. I think it's just going to take them a little bit of time to get it applied to everyone. But knowing Verizon, they will apply it. Especially with everyone putting sim cards in hot spot devices.
    Sorry about that, I thought it was talking about regular data and not hotspot data. But looking back at the post I realize it was hotspot that was being throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Yeah I really hope vzw can keep using the Dish spectrum. I even wish vzw got AWS 4 as they need the more than att does. Funny you say that att is faster than VZW at my place to.
    Yeah they should definitely sign a formal leasing agreement.

It would help both parties. Dish could use the money to build out their new wireless business.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So it sounds like the major points are:

• Unlimited vs. Metered data
    • Visible has no access to partner LTE, or Verizon-owned non-LTE service
    • Potentially slower data rates/lower tower prioritization on Visible than Verizon Prepaid

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyDH View Post
    So it sounds like the major points are:

• Unlimited vs. Metered data
    • Visible has no access to partner LTE, or Verizon-owned non-LTE service
    • Potentially slower data rates/lower tower prioritization on Visible than Verizon Prepaid
    1. Correct.
    2. Apparently correct regarding no LTEiRA access. But with the scheduled 12/31/20 shutdown of Verizon-owned non-LTE service, that will no longer be an advantage of Vzw Prepaid.
    3. I don't think that has been proven. I've seen anecdotal reports that there is no difference.

Feedback Score
    Three of the my family just joined and we can verify that the hotspots are not throttled yet. So far so great with Visible but we are definitely keeping our fingers crossed. ;-)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast