Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low cost voice only service for Verizon compatible phone???

Feedback Score

Low cost voice only service for Verizon compatible phone???

Hello,

I am looking for recommendations for low cost, voice only (no text, no data) cell phone service. My phone usage is under 50 minutes a month. I hear prepaid are generally cheaper than postpaid, but I am open to both. I have a Verizon comparable LG smart phone that I want to use.

I see that us mobil has 75 minutes a month plan for $2 plus taxes and fees. But they don’t say what the taxes and fees are. Tracfone is about the cheapest I have found.

Do you have a recommendation?

Thanks,
    OBIHAI 200 Oct 2015 Replaced NetTalk
    Alcatel A383G Jul 2015 To Jan 2016 Replaced A382G
    Alcatel A382G Apr 2014 To Jul 2015
    Kyocera Hydro Mar 2014 Ring+ 2016
    Google Voice Feb 2014 Ported TF (AT&T) # to GV
    Azpen A700 Nov 2013 7" Android tablet for GV/Talkatone
    LG 840G Sep 2013 Replaced C155
    NetTalk DUO Oct 2010 To Oct 2015 Replaced Verizon Land Line
    Verizon Land Line Oct 2010 Dropped & Ported # to TF
    Motorola V176 Jan 2008 To Apr 2014
    Motorola C155 Apr 2007 To Sep 2013 My first cell phone

Feedback Score
    pagepluscellular.com

$10 would give you about 3-4 months of service depending on how many calls you make.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    I've used both PagePlus and US Mobile and I think you'll be satisfied with either of them. The monthly service fee for US Mobile is $2 and your taxes and other charges will vary but let's say $1 so you'll pay ≈ $5/month for 75 minutes which don't carry over. I agree with the above recommendations for PagePlus paygo. For very low usage Tracfone is not your best option.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    I agree that PPC is a good suggestion. You'd just have to make sure to keep cellular data turned off on your phone because cellular data usage at $0.05/MB would use up your balance quickly. Also, in the past, it was possible to ask PPC to disable cellular data on your line, which would be the best solution, but you'd have to verify if that is still an option.

The $10 gives 120 days of service time. Calls cost $0.06/min.

$10 would provide 166 minutes. If you want to have it last 120 days, you could use an average of 41.5 minutes/30 days.

If there are funds remaining before the end of the 120 days, if you add another $10, the remaining funds roll over.

If you use up your funds before the end of 120 days, you can simply add another $10.

I used PPC paygo for 14 years, and it served me well.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't know how old your LG smartphone is or if you know about this, but you might need to make sure that phone has VoLTE. Verizon and Verizon MVNOs will not activate CDMA voice phones since Verizon is going to drop their CDMA network at the start of 2021.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for your suggestions!!!

I will look into PagePlus and US mobile.

My LG Rebel 4 is about two years old now. It is running Android version 8.1.0. I was hoping to keep it until 5G comes around and then get a 5G phone.

Thanks again

tjn

Feedback Score
    Tracfone is a viable option for cost, if you're comfortable with buying the annual SIM plan via Ebay. (Note that some have had difficulties with these, and it's more complicated if you need to keep a number that's already on Tracfone.)

$50/year, for a monthly cost of $4.17. 1200 minutes for the year, for an average of 100/month. (Plus text and data, which isn't important to TJN). Since it's a yearly allotment, it offers a nice safety net for some months that may need more than typical minutes.

I'm assuming that the Rebel 4 is a Tracfone model? Is it currently on Tracfone, and has it been unlocked by Tracfone? (It is VoLTE capable, so that isn't an issue.)

If you don't want the potential hassles of the preloaded SIM plan, plan/phone bundles are also available at close to the same $50 mark. It's easy to do this with a number currently on Tracfone, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Tracfone is a viable option for cost, if you're comfortable with buying the annual SIM plan via Ebay. (Note that some have had difficulties with these, and it's more complicated if you need to keep a number that's already on Tracfone.)

$50/year, for a monthly cost of $4.17. 1200 minutes for the year, for an average of 100/month. (Plus text and data, which isn't important to TJN). Since it's a yearly allotment, it offers a nice safety net for some months that may need more than typical minutes.

I'm assuming that the Rebel 4 is a Tracfone model? Is it currently on Tracfone, and has it been unlocked by Tracfone? (It is VoLTE capable, so that isn't an issue.)

If you don't want the potential hassles of the preloaded SIM plan, plan/phone bundles are also available at close to the same $50 mark. It's easy to do this with a number currently on Tracfone, too.
    Greenhandle,

Yes I agree with you. Yes, the phone Is a TracFone model. I used it on Tracfone for a few years. Tracfone was good to me. No complaints with them at all. I recently had them send me the unlock codes, because I met all their requirements and I didn’t know what direction I was going.

I am such a light phone user that I thought I might be able to do better than the $4.50 to $5 a month I was paying to TracFone. If its going to cost me more than $5 a month, I will just go back to Tracfone. Oh my phone number is Not important to me. My important phone number is locked down on Google Voice. I am such a light user because I make most of my calls over WiFi. I get Comcast WiFi all over the place. It’s bundled in my home Comcast tv and internet.

Thank you and folks above for sharing their knowledge.

Tjn

Feedback Score
    TJN, I'm going o further assume that your Rebel 4 is a Verizon-network version, model LM212VL.

Although I've no personal experience with this, I've seen some reports that even unlocked, a Tracfone device that only uses the Verizon network may be problematic to activate on another MVNO. The issue is that Verizon requires a phone to be 'whitelisted' (it's IMEI has to be listed in their database) to be activated directly on Verizon or another Verizon MVNO, and for some reason the Tracfone verizon-only phones are not in the whitelist database. (There aren't tons of reports about successfully unlocked Tracfones, so the concerns I've seen are anecdotal, may be based on incomplete or out-of-date info, etc.)

Before you commit to moving to another MVNO, you should try confirming that the phone will be accepted.
    Red Pocket has a Bring-Your-Own-Phone test page here that should work:
    https://myeasyactivation.com/
    And it appears that Ting's BYOP test page is also now testing for Verizon network activation:
    https://ting.com/mobile/check_device

I don't have an unlocked Tracfone to test: but I did test my still-locked Tracfone (Verizon network only) on both of those testers, and it passed on both. In my instance, I don't think I could actually activate my phone on either MVNO (because it's still locked), but at least it seemed to recognize my IMEI, which should mean it's properly listed in the Verizon whitelist database.

Feedback Score
    Yes, it was on the Verizon network with Tracfone. At least google voice said it was...

Red pocket said: CDMAV: device can be activated in 3G mode

Ting said: Your phone is compatible!

Verizon said: Unfortunately, your device isn't compatible with our network

I guess I will find out shortly..

Feedback Score
    With Red Pocket, your probably didn't enter the ICCID/SIM #. I got the '3G mode' response when I checked mine without entering the SIM card #, and a full OK when I did enter it.

If you do try to take it to another carrier, it would be great if you could share your results!

Feedback Score
    I will share... yes, I only entered my IMEI number.

The sim installed is the original sim that came with my Tracfone.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Those that used Page Plus, can texting be turned off?

Sometimes I get a lot of SPAM texts. Does a Pape Plus customer have the ability to turn off texting so they will never be charged for texts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny180 View Post
    Thank you!!! That is very helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast