Thread: Boost SIM crashed, what to do?

Feedback Score

Boost SIM crashed, what to do?

I'm not a Boost customer but I have a friend whose SIM crashed and they're not getting much help from their service provider. It's been over a week since it began. Does anyone know what to do? It's the SIM not the phone.

Here's a quote from them about the issue:

(Quote

She starts her phone, everything ok. Then a bit later, gets message "sim card locked up, then a bit later, "sim card removed". I did a search on internet and lots of complaints about this very thing and her provider Called their store, they say they have no sim. Gave us number to call, number just goes in circles. The error locks up her phone.

(End quote)

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like a faulty SIM card, but it could be a hardware issue. Is there another person she knows with a Boost phone with an active SIM. If so, I suggest swapping SIM cards to see if the other SIM works in her phone.

If the store doesn't have an unused SIM card available, I am certain that Boost corporate could mail a new one
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Sounds like a faulty SIM card, but it could be a hardware issue. Is there another person she knows with a Boost phone with an active SIM. If so, I suggest swapping SIM cards to see if the other SIM works in her phone.

If the store doesn't have an unused SIM card available, I am certain that Boost corporate could mail a new one
    Thanks for answering. I told them they should be able to get a SIM by mail if their local Boost store is closed due to the Covid lockdown. Apparently their phone CSR didn't hook them up with the right people.

I think her husband has a different service (T-MOBILE?) I'll ask them. I wasn't sure they could SIM swap between two phones even on the same provider.

Her phone is an older Samsung, not sure what model. If I could look at it I could find that out easily but she lives a long ways away. It could be malfunctioning and not just be the SIM.

Is it possibly a virus that could cause SIMs to go bad?

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Viruses in cell phones are essentially non-existent and would not cause the type of issue she is encountering in my opinion. SIM cards are volatile and can go bad from time to time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I think her husband has a different service (T-MOBILE?) I'll ask them. I wasn't sure they could SIM swap between two phones even on the same provider.

Her phone is an older Samsung, not sure what model. If I could look at it I could find that out easily but she lives a long ways away. It could be malfunctioning and not just be the SIM.
    SIM cards do go bad. Are there other Boost stores in their area? There are lots of them in the more populated areas around here and seem to be open. A new SIM would still have to be provisioned in the account by an online CSR or at a store. Not sure how that works with Boost/Sprint compared to the other carriers.

Boost support may be in poor condition right now after the merger. It is sort of an orphan until sold off. That older phone may not work for long anyway, as it's likely not compatible with the T-Mobile network. This has been discussed on the Sprint and T-Mobile forums.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    SIM cards do go bad. Are there other Boost stores in their area? There are lots of them in the more populated areas around here and seem to be open. A new SIM would still have to be provisioned in the account by an online CSR or at a store. Not sure how that works with Boost/Sprint compared to the other carriers.

Boost support may be in poor condition right now after the merger. It is sort of an orphan until sold off. That older phone may not work for long anyway, as it's likely not compatible with the T-Mobile network. This has been discussed on the Sprint and T-Mobile forums.
    Her husband wasn't able to test the phone by swapping SIMs because his service provider is different from hers, I think she had a phone failure before and switched from Virgin Mobile to Boost. I think his son gave him one of his T-Mobile phones.

I think their Boost store is closed in their area but they live in Fresno California so there ought to be other stores. I think it may partly be health concerns and they don't want to do much driving or be exposed to the virus. She said she's just going to use his phone for now.

I told them TracFone has monthly unlimited talk& text plans as low as $20/month and suggested they try to get one of their cheaper phones like the 9.99 Rebel 4 with the $20 plan to tide them over until they decide what they want to do. TracFone ships pretty fast, I usually get orders from them within a few days.

She likes HSN shopping and said she might get a new phone, she said she looked at the TracFones. They used to have TF, I gave them an old Nokia in 2006 or so, it was her brother's, and they kept a TF for years, then in 2015 or 2016 switched to VM and gave me their LG TF that had wads of airtime on it. That was my first smartphone. An LG L38C or something like that.

Anyway, I think they will probably just replace the phone with another from Boost since she's on a monthly autorenew plan. But I'm thinking she'd do ok on one of TF's monthly plans.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Anyway, I think they will probably just replace the phone with another from Boost since she's on a monthly autorenew plan. But I'm thinking she'd do ok on one of TF's monthly plans.
    I would not trust at all that Boost is worth staying with. It's an orphan, supposed to be sold to Dish, will only be an MVNO run by T-Mobile, and many of the dealers will bail out. Boost is over...Sprint is over.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I would not trust at all that Boost is worth staying with. It's an orphan, supposed to be sold to Dish, will only be an MVNO run by T-Mobile, and many of the dealers will bail out. Boost is over...Sprint is over.
    When I lived in Fresno I had a VM/Sprint based device and the reception wasn't real strong there. That's where they live. I've done well with AT&T and Verizon based service since I returned to the hills north of there. I would think my friend in Fresno should do well with TF/VZ and I hope they consider it. I'm sure they could find a better deal if they look but then it's a matter of buying a new phone. At this point I think it's up to what's easiest for them to figure out. Meanwhile they have his cell and their landline phone and mostly housebound due to the virus lockdown so I guess no hurry to worry about it. I hope they end up with a solution she'll like. If it were me I'd for sure bail out of Boost.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    My friends were offered a special deal on an iPhone but they said it had to use Xfinity. They opted in favor of a new Samsung, A10e and T-Mobile instead.

I read the A10e reviews on the T-Mo site and most were pretty bad. Plus, the phone's price was $200 and TracFone sells them much cheaper. Read on HSN site their TF bundle deal A10e reviews were better than T-Mo's. The price was way better. She said she doesn't use her phone often so I thought she might do well with a TF bundle or atleast their $20/mo ut/ut plan with 1gb data. I guess her husband chose for her as a birthday gift.

They said they had problems with their Boost service and were glad to let it go. She also said her Samsung was starting to malfunction before the card failed. Things like getting hot while charging. So the card failure might have been the phone was getting old.

I wonder if they'll have good service with T-Mo if they didn't like Boost. I sure hope they like it (and the new a10e).

Sent from my LGL64VL using HoFo mobile app