Thread: AT&T Prepaid Problem

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

AT&T Prepaid Problem

Sometime back I bought 3 (Maven) at&t prepaid phones. Cheapos, okay? I activated and gave one to a friend who knew nothing about phones including the fact that they wont go thru the wash in your jeans pocket. So I managed to activate another one and transfer his balances to it, but I don't remember the exact procedure. Then, recently, he bunged up the charging receptacle and didn't tell me about it until the phone was flat DEAD, charge wise. I do have the phone in my account so I'd like to transfer from the uncharged phone to activate the new one. Can I do that remotely? We are about 100 miles apart and due to the virus he is reluctant to travel as he is in quite poor healh. Any help out here in hofo land? Thankx in advance folks
    Last edited by gmannix; 04-25-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    You will need a new TF/AT&T SIM card. This would be a BYOP, so any SIM kit will work. You can use the automated activation system, or do it by chat. Should only require the existing phone number and SIM card serial number.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    loboheeler, would that be the phone number and the sim serial number from the old phone?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You will need a new TF/AT&T SIM card. This would be a BYOP, so any SIM kit will work. You can use the automated activation system, or do it by chat. Should only require the existing phone number and SIM card serial number.
    Since they're BYOP GSM phones, can't he just take the SIM out of the phone with the bad port and put it into another phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    loboheeler, would that be the phone number and the sim serial number from the old phone?
    Do what hpham suggested and just swap the SIM to the new phone. Make this your last assistance, as this person seems irresponsible.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Since they're BYOP GSM phones, can't he just take the SIM out of the phone with the bad port and put it into another phone?
    I tried that, Hung...apparently these are not like the old GO Phones from at&t, because it wouldnt work.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    loboheeler said: as this person seems irresponsible.

He isn't terribly bright, not handicapped, just slow., especially about simple things like a phone. The guy is actually a hell of a handyman and does beautiful work. Has some severe health problems and since he is pushing 70 he is very worried about leaving home during this pandemic. We have been good friends for 40 years or better. Long story short, I sent the new phone home with his brother who he rents from.

Feedback Score
    I sent the new phone home with his brother who he rents from.
    You should have kept the phone for now. Should be OK with a new SIM and a service transfer. Strange why the swap did not work.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I tried that...apparently these are not like the old GO Phones from at&t, because it wouldnt work.
    Just to be clear, are these phones being used on Tracfone service or AT&T Prepaid service?

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Just to be clear, are these phones being used on Tracfone service or AT&T Prepaid service?
    Both are on tracfone.

Feedback Score
    I tried that, Hung...apparently these are not like the old GO Phones from at&t, because it wouldnt work.
    AT&T prepaid phones should be able to be used on tracfone as long as you use a tracfone AT&T sim. are you sure that the sim is not a T mobile sim ??

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Yes, definitely an at&t sim. I had set up 2 previuos (Maven) phones for him over the past couple three years. I had purchased these (3) at&t Maven modl phones because they were only 8 bucks apiece specifically with him in mind. The first two I charged him 20 bucks to set up,#1, and to tranfer, from#1 to #2, because he insisted on paying me.This last one I donated, but I told his brother to tell him I got it for free.
    At one time I had 11 people on my TF account that I had set up phones for so I could keep track of their balances and alert them if they got low. Today I am down to 4 because 2 have passed and several thought tf was 2 much hassle, so now they are on cricket or consumer cellular at 2 to 3 times the cost, and I'm sure poor CSR assistance as well.
    I did attempt to give the local Med care facility 4 phones that I had planned to initially set up with $15 cards (from the 60274) but the admin told me he was concerned about the spread of germs from multiple people using the same phone...personally, i think it was the "negative connotation" some people have about tracfone. oh well, less work for me.
    Again I want to thank the HOFO community for the assistance I get everytime I come looking!! Great bunch of people with much more knowledge than tf's own CSR's.