Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Band 71 LTE better range?

Feedback Score

Band 71 LTE better range?

TMO has no 600MHz B71 in much of NorCal because some TV stations that have not moved off yet. Would like to hear of experiences when it became available in their area. Service is pretty lousy now in this very hilly forested area with mostly only B4. No interest in 5G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    TMO has no 600MHz B71 in much of NorCal because some TV stations that have not moved off yet. Would like to hear of experiences when it became available in their area. Service is pretty lousy now in this very hilly forested area with mostly only B4. No interest in 5G.
    No B12,2 or AWS3?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    No B12,2 or AWS3?
    B12 only on some of the towers. No B2. Don't really understand what AWS-3 is about. Is it an aggregation thing?

Feedback Score
    B12 only on some of the towers. No B2. Don't really understand what AWS-3 is about. Is it an aggregation thing?
    AWS 3 is B66.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    AWS 3 is B66.
    Very few towers here have TMO B66. Not a good choice anyway. Mid-band does not work very well in places like this, no matter the carrier.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow, I can't imagine the pain you're going through. B4 in my rural area is useless unless you're in town (in terms of coverage).

I'm in the Central Valley so it's pretty rural here. We were one of the first to get B12. When they added it to most towers, it provided a huge coverage increase, but because it's 5x5, it quickly became congested.

When B71 came, it provided a good boost in speeds in areas that only had B12 coverage. Speeds are really good right now that they're leasing Dish B71 (currently 15x15 here) so if they make that long term, it'll be great. In terms of range, I do feel B71 has better propagation, but it could be due to the use of better panels (compared to the first gen B12 antennas).

So basically, B71 will provide a good boost in speeds to your B12 areas, but the bigger improvement will be when they add B71/B12 panels to almost all your towers (and they probably will soon since they want that for that 5G symbol).
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Wow, I can't imagine the pain you're going through. B4 in my rural area is useless unless you're in town (in terms of coverage).

I'm in the Central Valley so it's pretty rural here. We were one of the first to get B12. When they added it to most towers, it provided a huge coverage increase, but because it's 5x5, it quickly became congested.

When B71 came, it provided a good boost in speeds in areas that only had B12 coverage. Speeds are really good right now that they're leasing Dish B71 (currently 15x15 here) so if they make that long term, it'll be great. In terms of range, I do feel B71 has better propagation, but it could be due to the use of better panels (compared to the first gen B12 antennas).

So basically, B71 will provide a good boost in speeds to your B12 areas, but the bigger improvement will be when they add B71/B12 panels to almost all your towers (and they probably will soon since they want that for that 5G symbol).
    They also plan to add B41 to all there towers. Even rural

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    About the only part of NC where T-Mobile may be blocked from deploying band 71 is part of the NE corner, north of the Albemaire Sound. The rest should be available. In the area north of Albemaire Sound they have band 12. Band 12 is also available in a swath through the center part of the state. In much of the eastern and western parts of NC, the 700A license is held by USCC. In short, they have the ability to deploy their low-band service throughout the entire state.

So, exactly where are you having issues?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    So, exactly where are you having issues?
    I stated my area is a large part of Northern California from the coast to the Nevada border, including the metros of the SF Bay Area and Sacramento. No B71 and B12 is spotty. The FCC timetable for clearing 600 MHz from the UHF TV stations has been a very long process.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post

Yes, mid-band B4 is not very good for distance. 1-2 miles outside of my town it drops to almost worthless. The Central Valley is nowhere near the problem as in the foothills that surround it. It's flat there!

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I stated my area is a large part of Northern California from the coast to the Nevada border, including the metros of the SF Bay Area and Sacramento. No B71 and B12 is spotty. The FCC timetable for clearing 600 MHz from the UHF TV stations has been a very long process.
    Sorry. At midnight I read NoCal as NoCar.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Yes, mid-band B4 is not very good for distance. 1-2 miles outside of my town it drops to almost worthless. The Central Valley is nowhere near the problem as in the foothills that surround it. It's flat there!
    It depends on foliage and humidity. From tall antennas in The Plains and Southwest, midband can do quite well. In the forested East and Southeast, not so good. On the West Coast it depends on the climate in whatever valley or side of the mountain you're on.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10 (G9730), Sony Xperia XZ2, Lumia 950 XL (Red Pocket)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Google Fi (2nd SIM slot)
    Feedback Score
    the majority of the broadcast TV frequency "repack" is scheduled to happen in the SF Bay Area by May 1st. I think some lower power independents won't change until mid-summer, but that may have changed. haven't heard when T-Mobile might be making any changes though once all these frequencies are cleared.

anyone who gets their TV OTA around here knows what a challenge it can be with towers every-which-way and lots of hills and valleys in the way.

Feedback Score
    When T-Mo turned on band 71 here I went from no signal at home to solid, but not fast, signal inside my house in the most interior room. Around town the signal went from spotty to solid. Band 71 can make a big difference in coverage, if not speed.

My location is on the rural fringe of suburbia near a town on the I95 corridor in central Virgina with rolling hills and tall leafed-out trees.

The TV station moves to clear spectrum for band 71 are supposed to be done by the end of June 2020 (IIRC). It may take a while to turn on band 71 after the TV stations move, but they seem to be doing that pretty quickly.

There is also the consideration of what T-Mo will do with Sprint's bands, especially band 41 for 5G vs LTE or both. The whole spectrum/coverage package could make a big difference when they get it rolled out. That would mean a new phone for me when I am not due for a new phone for a couple of years. I will stick with a cheap Verizon MVNO that serves me well until it is new phone time. I will see who is the best value then.

Feedback Score
    If b12 is spotty band 71 won't be a whole lot better and it will be the same ****** 5X5 MHz B12 is unless T-Mobile decides to dedicate some of their newly leased spectrum for 4G.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast