Thread: What is Rebranding? Do I need to do it?

Feedback Score

What is Rebranding? Do I need to do it?

Iíve seen ďRebrandingĒ mentioned in reference to Tracfone. Could someone explain exactly what that means and do I need to do it in my situation?

Iím currently using what was originally a Simple Mobile iPhone 7 with Safelink service via Tracfone. Iím on T mobile towers. I can check my account on the Tracfone app as well as on Safelink via the web. I had ordered Safelink with a phone and they sent me TCL smartphone and I swapped the sim to the iPhone after activation. Tracfone thinks Iím still using the TCL so I donít get credit towards unlock for using the iPhone. The only thing that doesnít work for me is VVM on the iPhone but since I use GV itís not much of an issue.

Would rebranding allow me to get usage credit for the iPhone to unlock it after 12 months? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_nyc View Post
    Iíve seen ďRebrandingĒ mentioned in reference to Tracfone. Could someone explain exactly what that means and do I need to do it in my situation?

Would rebranding allow me to get usage credit for the iPhone to unlock it after 12 months?
    In the past, a phone branded by one sub-brand of the Tracfone family (like Net10) couldn't be used with another sub-brand (like Tracfone). Now, you can buy phone of another sub-brand and ask a rep to "rebrand" it so it can be used with another sub-brand.

Rebranding doesn't help you regarding getting usage credit for unlocking purpose. To get credit for unlocking, the phone must be activated and used with its original SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    In the past, a phone branded by one sub-brand of the Tracfone family (like Net10) couldn't be used with another sub-brand (like Tracfone). Now, you can buy phone of another sub-brand and ask a rep to "rebrand" it so it can be used with another sub-brand.

Rebranding doesn't help you regarding getting usage credit for unlocking purpose. To get credit for unlocking, the phone must be activated and used with its original SIM.
    Thanks for your response. What if I donít have the original SIM anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Last year I got a ST phone and its original SIM activated for Tracfone-VZW without rebranding, so I guess my clock for unlocking purposes never started. Right?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    Last year I got a ST phone and its original SIM activated for Tracfone-VZW without rebranding, so I guess my clock for unlocking purposes never started. Right?
    As long as your phone was activated with its original SIM (which is paired to the phone's IMEI in TF system), it counts toward the required service time for unlocking. Your phone must've been rebranded, otherwise the phone would be using Straight Talk service instead of Tracfone/VZW.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_nyc View Post
    What if I donít have the original SIM anymore?
    You can contact TF, tell the rep you have the phone but its original SIM is missing. They will send you a new SIM and pair the SIM number to the phone's IMEI in TF system. When you activate the phone with that SIM, the service clock for unlocking starts counting. Don't put the Safelink SIM back into it until after the phone has been unlocked by TF (12 months later).

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    As long as your phone was activated with its original SIM (which is paired to the phone's IMEI in TF system), it counts toward the required service time for unlocking. Your phone must've been rebranded, otherwise the phone would be using Straight Talk service instead of Tracfone/VZW.
    If it was rebranded, it was done implicitly behind scenes. I just provided the IMEI and SIM number during activation as it were a regular branded TF phone and it went through ok (well , I had to install an APN profile to get data working, weird). At no point I had to indicate this was a ST SIM/phone. I guess I will know for sure next month when I complete the 12-month requirement for unlocking.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    My thought is that a Tracfone family phone becomes branded when you activate it with a brand of airtime.
    Not sure about buying a phone and airtime bundled, if Tracfone connects them ahead of activation.
    It must be re-branded to change to another brand of airtime.