Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Does anyone sell a block of 4G LTE data for occasional tethering/mobile hotspot use?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question Does anyone sell a block of 4G LTE data for occasional tethering/mobile hotspot use?

    I recently brought 4 lines over to Verizon post-paid. I'm on the starter/basic unlimited plan which I guess means no tethering. Every NOW AND THEN, my internet goes out or my kid wants to get on the internet with her ipad when we're in the car. What I'm looking for is ideally, to buy a mifi device of some sort and a 4G LTE sim card that has maybe 10gb of data on it and I can use 2 gigs 1 week and come back to it 6 months later and there's still 8 gigs left.

    Either I stink at Googling or such a setup isn't possible. If not possible, what's the absolute cheapest way to accomplish my goal?

    Or maybe buy a mifi and hopefully a data sim card that rides on Verizon's network (best coverage in my area but will consider others if need be) and whenever I need data, just buy a chunk (that I'm sure expires in 30 days) and make the best of it. 6 months later, if I need mobile data or a backup to my internet for a few hours..... top off my account again? If I need to go this route, any recommendations on mifi's?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,177
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    On postpaid plans, unused data is only available for 1 month and then it expires. Prepaid is more flexible.

    Keep in mind that if a prepaid account is not replenished or used over a certain timeframe, your mobile account may be canceled by the provider.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    On postpaid plans, unused data is only available for 1 month and then it expires. Prepaid is more flexible.

    Keep in mind that if a prepaid account is not replenished or used over a certain timeframe, your mobile account may be canceled by the provider.
    Not sure I follow.... so my Verizon post-paid (2 year contract) account DOES include tethering?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,711
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by road hazard View Post
    ...Either I stink at Googling or such a setup isn't possible. If not possible, what's the absolute cheapest way to accomplish my goal?

    Or maybe buy a mifi and hopefully a data sim card that rides on Verizon's network (best coverage in my area but will consider others if need be) and whenever I need data, just buy a chunk (that I'm sure expires in 30 days) and make the best of it. 6 months later, if I need mobile data or a backup to my internet for a few hours..... top off my account again? If I need to go this route, any recommendations on mifi's?
    You don't stink at Googling. Hotspot plans with a deposit that does not expire don't exist anymore. Those that used to were pretty expensive per GB, like $20 a GB. Pretty much anything else is a monthly charge whether you use it or not for a limited amount of GB.

    You could switch one of your phones to Verizon Prepaid with unlim talk and text and 6GB of data a month that includes hotspot for $35 a month with autopay. That way you would have the phone on Verizon and hotspot available when you want it, less what is used as a phone. Unused data rolls over for one month. Of course, that would raise the per-line cost of your postpaid family plan.

    Hopefully others will have some good ideas.

    For an AT&T mifi, I got a refurb Velocity for $30. It is an adequate basic hotspot. Otherwise, more recent models are probably $100 and up.

    Hotspot for cheap is a tough nut to crack. I love having mine for bad hotel Wifi, road trips, cable outages, visits to relatives without Internet, etc., but it costs me $25 a month and I barely use it. It is an unlimited plan that is no longer available so I can't drop it and get it back.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,711
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by road hazard View Post
    Not sure I follow.... so my Verizon post-paid (2 year contract) account DOES include tethering?
    Postpaid Start plan does not include hotspot. You could switch one of your lines to Do More for $10 more a month and have 15 GB of hotspot, but it is throttled to 600 Kbps. Hotspot on prepaid is not throttled.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,704
    Feedback Score
    0
    If your kid want to game online a hotspot will bring little pleasure.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Similar Threads

  1. Verizon adding an addtional 15GB of 4G LTE data for May
    By frail in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-01-2020, 06:50 PM
  2. Replies: 412
    Last Post: 04-02-2016, 01:21 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 06:06 AM
  4. Ovation MC679 4G LTE Data Stick Network Code Unlock to use with Rogers,Chatr,Fido
    By canadagsm.ca in forum Canadagsm.ca Best deals in mobilephones, accessories and unlocking all under one roof
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 03:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks