Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Multi port USB charger question

Feedback Score

Multi port USB charger question

I wasn't sure where to ask this question but the people here seem knowledgeable. I would like to know if this multi port USB charging station would be safe for charging my phones. I have so many plugs in contention at the outlets I thought it might help with clutter.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wall-Port...-5W-/835732606

Overtime 5 Port USB hub Charging Station - Universal Multi-Port USB Wall Charger for Charging Multiple USB Powered Devices Such as Phones, Tablets, and Any USB Device - 35.5W/7.1A USB Charger.

This USB hub features 5 USB type-A ports that can all be used at the same time to charge and power your USB devices. Providing an output of 7.1 AMPs

Specifications:

Power Output: 5V - 7.1 AMPs, 35.5 Watts
    Power Input: 100V - 240V

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I have one that has two ports, and it gets a little warm but works fine. Maybe a little slower due to sharing. Just make sure that the unit has good air circulation in case it gets a little warm with five things going.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I have one that has two ports, and it gets a little warm but works fine. Maybe a little slower due to sharing. Just make sure that the unit has good air circulation in case it gets a little warm with five things going.
    Thanks for answering, Lisme. What is the brand of yours if you remember?

Feedback Score
    It's a "travel size" type 1.5 inch wall cube with foldable prongs. I got it from the "dollar" section at Target where they had a bunch of stocking-stuffer phone doo-dads for $5 or so. It says Vivitar, but they never heard of it, so I guess they just licensed the name to some generic factory. All of the doo-dads said Vivitar and were color-coordinated even. It's not UL listed or anything, but I took a chance.

Feedback Score
    It's a "travel size" type 1.5 inch wall cube with foldable prongs. I got it from the "dollar" section at Target where they had a bunch of stocking-stuffer phone doo-dads for $5 or so. It says Vivitar, but they never heard of it, so I guess they just licensed the name to some generic factory. All of the doo-dads said Vivitar and were color-coordinated even. It's not UL listed or anything, but I took a chance.
    Vivitar is a camera brand. I guess they make other things. I saw some of the little usb blocks at the store.

The ones I'm looking at are brands I'm not familiar with except eeekit and I got a watch from them through Walmart that came broken.

One was Agptek and that sounds familiar.

I miss getting out to shop so have to do online browsing.

I want one with a long cord instead of a block that plugs in directly so it won't interfere with the other outlets.

With electrical things, need to be sure it's safe and won't damage the phones. I'm no electrician so I've no idea what a good one would be as opposed to a bad one that could flame out.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It depends upon how the 7.1 A is shared across the 5 outlets. Compare the amperage output of your individual chargers that came with your phones, then add the highest 5 of those together and compare to 7.1 A. 1000mA = 1 A

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    It depends upon how the 7.1 A is shared across the 5 outlets. Compare the amperage output of your individual chargers that came with your phones, then add the highest 5 of those together and compare to 7.1 A. 1000mA = 1 A
    Thanks for the insight.

Some of the multi port chargers have different ratings on some of the ports.

One six port charger has two fast charge ports and four "smart" ports that determine what the devices require and they charge accordingly.

One charger had a neg review that said their phones developed ghost touch after using the multi port charger.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have had this Anker one for about two and half years. I have not ran into any issue myself.

I have tried a few Anker and Ravpower 2 port ones in the car. I have not had any big issue with them too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I have had this Anker one for about two and half years. I have not ran into any issue myself.

I have tried a few Anker and Ravpower 2 port ones in the car. I have not had any big issue with them too.
    Thanks, I went over and looked at the two mentioned brands. I can see I need to read more about the way they work before choosing one, but they seem to have good ratings.

Device(s)
    Moto G7, LG Fiesta 2
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I think your money would be better spent on a power strip to accommodate all the plugs. The chargers that came with each device will usually push the full 2 or 3 amps that it can take. Sounds like the majority of the ports in the hubs you're describing will only push 1 amp, with a couple pushing 2 or 3.

Plus with the rise of USB-C (3+ amps), that hub will be obsolete soon enough. A power strip would be useful no matter what.

Feedback Score
    I have been using an Upwade 4 port charger. It has worked very well for me.

Feedback Score
    I got a few of what sounds similar to those around 7 years ago from an eBay seller. Mine are branded Motorola. It is very small and the folding prongs make it very convenient. It's best used for overnight charging, as it isn't especially fast. www.amzn.com/B00ZV3YB5G

Feedback Score
    Be careful with Anker. Being a major (expensive) brand, I think they are prone to counterfeits.

I like the idea of a power strip. I guess it depends on the various trade-offs.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I like the idea of a power strip. I guess it depends on the various trade-offs.
    I have a 6-port charging "block". I like it. It sits on a table top and has a smaller footprint than a power strip.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I have a 6-port charging "block". I like it. It sits on a table top and has a smaller footprint than a power strip.
    That is kinda why I got mine. I reorganized my cables, and the big power strip was just getting in my way too much. Since doing that, I can use shorter USB cables too. I had to use about 6 foot long USB cables before. Now, I can use OE cable or 3 foot long USB cables. I have been thinking of getting one with QC now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast