Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Is the New T-Mobile now in the best Position to overtake At&t and Verizon in Coverage

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I suspect that you're not the only one. Sometimes I set my phone to B71 only to map out the area. There are only 6 sites covering b71, so often speed / signal is awful, but still usable, and won't notice until buffering.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    I’m a fan of Magenta’s 3G network where I live. Coverage is great even indoors, great call quality and it’s completely empty. Plus my battery lasts forever.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I’m a fan of Magenta’s 3G network where I live. Coverage is great even indoors, great call quality and it’s completely empty. Plus my battery lasts forever.
    The problem is that I spend too much time on the fringes. Were I to lock my phone into 2G/3G mode, it would spend much of its time with a big "E" on the display.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    The problem is that I spend too much time on the fringes. Were I to lock my phone into 2G/3G mode, it would spend much of its time with a big "E" on the display.
    Yep. I'd love a mode where we could order the network priority- I'd honestly love to be able to set my device to connect to 3G first, LTE only if 3G wasn't available, and 2G as a last resort.

At least on all of my Motos, setting a "preferred" network selects the fastest network your device is allowed to connect to, so prioritizing 3G automatically blocks all LTE, and prioritizing 2G blocks all 3G and LTE.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It's not a special application. It's just a counter to congestion in urban markets. Out here in the 'burbs I'm happy with my cheapie Moto G7 Power with 2CA. If I lived in NYC or L.A., Philly or maybe even Atlanta, you'd better believe that I'd shell out the bucks for a 5g phone with all the bands and massive carrier aggregation. Now, part of this has to do with the fact that T-Mobile, so far, has not used any band-41 spectrum for LTE. That may change but ITMT, if you want a phone that works in urban areas, you need to go big.
    Is it really that bad in major metro areas? I try to stay away from them. I did spend a few nights in DC and Reston/Herndon recently. The hotel Wifi was garbage. My old basic Velocity AT&T hotspot and a Moto G6 on Verizon worked fine. I don't remember the speeds, but it was enough. I don't think the G6 is anything special. I don't know if it even does CA.

Thinking back, I was there on weekends so maybe that made a difference without office workers use.

I hope that I never have to go to NY, LA, Chicago, Miami, etc. again. DC is bad enough. Reston/Herndon is its own special version of Hell on Earth.

Device(s)
    AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Is it really that bad in major metro areas?
    Not normally, but special events can cause a lot of problems. When you have tens, or even hundreds of thousands of people tightly packed into normally quiet areas, many of which who are trying to live stream their experience, it can become difficult getting any kind of bandwidth. We typically have a different festival almost every weekend through the summer. Not this year though. This should be a complete non-issue on a 5g phone while such a small percentage of people have one. Even when 5g gets loaded up, it's so much more efficient that it should still be much better.

Feedback Score

Is The New T-Mobile Now In The Best Position To Overtake AT&T And Verizon In Coverage

Okay, I haven't read every post here, so if this has been answered already, I apologize. I currently have Total Wireless, which is a Verizon MVNO. I want to switch to AT&T when their coverage equals, or exceeds, Verizon. Has that happened yet? If not, how will I know when it has happened?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    Okay, I haven't read every post here, so if this has been answered already, I apologize. I currently have Total Wireless, which is a Verizon MVNO. I want to switch to AT&T when their coverage equals, or exceeds, Verizon. Has that happened yet? If not, how will I know when it has happened?
    You’re in the wrong sub forum for this, but I think it depends on where you need coverage. If you leave your city once a year to go to a large city, do you need Verizon’s coverage at Yosemite? Conversely, if you travel many days a year to very remote locations, would T-Mobile be the best for you? I use AT&T but sure don’t need their coverage in North Carolina. I use them because they work in my city nearly 100% of the time and work during the drive to and at my cabin. When I visit other cities they work well too for the most part. If I lived in Florida and only traveled to top 50 metros, I’d see no reason to use anyone but T-Mobile.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure why you're asking this in this T-Mobile thread, or if this can ever be quantified like you're asking. It's a big country, and different carriers will be the "best" in different areas. Shouldn't the carrier that works better where you live, work, and play be more important than some aggregated measurement of which carrier currently has the "best" coverage?

When I moved to my current neighborhood in suburban Denver in 2004, only two carriers worked there: T-Mobile and Sprint, the two carriers that I'm certain everyone would agree (especially then!) were the two weakest of the big four.

So, even though AT&T/Cingular and Verizon were clearly the "best" national carriers at the time, none of my neighbors nor I used them. (Sprint was the popular choice in my neighborhood, probably because they roamed on Verizon, but I was a T-Mo fan from the Voicestream days and continued using them.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Is it really that bad in major metro areas? I try to stay away from them.....
    I do too. All I can say is that I see a lot of complaints about data speeds in big cities.

Feedback Score
    I just bought a galaxy s20 ultra unlocked . I’ll be heading to nyc tomorrow to test out T-Mobile’s n41 performance .

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That would depend on where in the country you use it. Some areas are better on At&t.. Some on Verizon
    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T Mobile USA could overtake AT&T but it is going to take a lot of investment to expand into rural areas since low band spectrum alone will not get the job done. In addition T Mobile USA really needs to invest in their customer support to try to match Verizon Wireless quality of support where they are able to get issues fixed. Before they can make those investments they will need to integrate Sprint customers and any assets they decide to keep into their network. But at the end of the day I think it will be easy for T Mobile USA to over take AT&T primarily due to their bad decision making. A great example of AT&T's bad decision making was them deploying copper telephone lines to a new housing development in 2020 and their is no way they are ever going to see an ROI on copper phone lines. Here is a link to a thread on DSL Reports talking about the copper phone line deployment. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32...ploying-copper

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    T Mobile USA could overtake AT&T but it is going to take a lot of investment to expand into rural areas since low band spectrum alone will not get the job done. In addition T Mobile USA really needs to invest in their customer support to try to match Verizon Wireless quality of support where they are able to get issues fixed. Before they can make those investments they will need to integrate Sprint customers and any assets they decide to keep into their network. But at the end of the day I think it will be easy for T Mobile USA to over take AT&T primarily due to their bad decision making. A great example of AT&T's bad decision making was them deploying copper telephone lines to a new housing development in 2020 and their is no way they are ever going to see an ROI on copper phone lines. Here is a link to a thread on DSL Reports talking about the copper phone line deployment. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32...ploying-copper
    If I had to guess, an agreement was signed years back for vdsl. Person in that thread mentions the 12 year old development had vdsl run throughout. So att is basically stuck running the rest of the development that way. I'm sure att is not happy about it, probably wasn't supposed to take this long for the next section of the development to be built. Most people wouldn't know the difference anyway. They'll make their money on it. No one else is probably allowed to run lines. Everyone will have to get it or just use wireless.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

I suspect that was some of the original Pacbell Wireless network. In general, I'll admit that it isn't a bad network in much of California. In some of the more urban/suburban areas, it is a much more densely built network than AT&T/Verizon. For the major highways/rural areas, service is typically decent. I just go back to the original post of this thread, of 'overtake AT&T and Verizon in Coverage', and in general, I don't see it happening. Catching up... sure.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobiles 3G network has served me well when on it.

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast