Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Thread: Is the New T-Mobile now in the best Position to overtake At&t and Verizon in Coverage

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I don't see a huge benefit of mmWave in many areas. As long as 2.5 GHz is deployed in most places, it will give great throughput. MmWave is great in very dense areas only. 600MHz is just for advertising and bragging rights.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    One major benefit of mmWave is to be able to compete with Xfinity, AT&T, and Verizon as a substitute for broadband wired home internet service. We already see Verizon deploying this, in limited areas, just with LTE. When my Xfinity service goes out, which is often, I hotspot with my phone. It's actually faster than my Xfinity service, around 100Mb/s versus around 80Mb/s, and that's without 5G.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    At some point won't it be easier to just leave than to ignore all of us?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    LOL, I guess I should take him off my ignore list then. I find that HoFo is much more readable and useful when you simply ignore all the cheerleaders and discuss things rationally.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    One major benefit of mmWave is to be able to compete with Xfinity, AT&T, and Verizon as a substitute for broadband wired home internet service. We already see Verizon deploying this, in limited areas, just with LTE. When my Xfinity service goes out, which is often, I hotspot with my phone. It's actually faster than my Xfinity service, around 100Mb/s versus around 80Mb/s, and that's without 5G.
    I actually had TMobile Home Internet for a month (free trial), and had no issue with performance. I had typically hit 120Mbps down /50Mbps up. When I tried it in a different location, I was pushing closer to 250Mbps. That was with LTE only, and no band 71. In theory, I might soon swap out my spectrum internet for this, as their costs keep increasing, and I can plug this into my home router. AT&T has also had this service, but typically lower data rates.

AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    I actually had TMobile Home Internet for a month (free trial), and had no issue with performance.
    because very few are using the service. Wait until it's available to everyone. This is where mmwave is important of capacity 1000 MHz has more capacity than 40 MHz that's just factual.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I actually had TMobile Home Internet for a month (free trial), and had no issue with performance. I had typically hit 120Mbps down /50Mbps up. When I tried it in a different location, I was pushing closer to 250Mbps. That was with LTE only, and no band 71. In theory, I might soon swap out my spectrum internet for this, as their costs keep increasing, and I can plug this into my home router. AT&T has also had this service, but typically lower data rates.

T-Mobile 2.5GHz will be plenty to offer the home internet service, and mmWave would be a good add on for more congested areas - but it’s penetration characteristics will not make it overly important in the short term. T-Mobile went about this the right way with acquiring “just enough” mmWave to complement where they’ll need it, and 2.5GHz for primary 5G.

2.5GHz can be made so dense anyway that you’ll still get several hundred Mbps per city block no problem, and adding the additional lower bands on the “cake” to reach indoors, they’ve set themselves up nicely.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In my area of suburbia, the closest TMobile site is 2000' away, and range on this selector is 4000' at best before handoff. There area 6 sites within 2 miles of me on TMobile, and this site is only at 1/2 capacity(I.e. could push over 300Mbps if backend was updated), doesn't yet have B71/n71 or any of that Sprint B41 (it is physically on the same site). Mmwave is this area would only be useful for home internet with an external antenna

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    In my area of suburbia, the closest TMobile site is 2000' away, and range on this selector is 4000' at best before handoff. There area 6 sites within 2 miles of me on TMobile, and this site is only at 1/2 capacity(I.e. could push over 300Mbps if backend was updated), doesn't yet have B71/n71 or any of that Sprint B41 (it is physically on the same site). Mmwave is this area would only be useful for home internet with an external antenna

Yeah, once your site is modernized and it’s all tied together... n71, n66, n2, n41 would even suffice for home internet as that would be a few Gbps, especially if they set the home ISP to be ~200Mbps. It would be plenty for most, and at the $50 price point very attractive for many.

Device(s)
    Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobil
    Feedback Score
    I have solid 5g nr and can get 195 down with 25 up which is at least double my 4g but it does take more battery. I turn 5g off most days. I think that will change with standalone 5g.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Verhouzen View Post
    I have solid 5g nr and can get 195 down with 25 up which is at least double my 4g but it does take more battery. I turn 5g off most days. I think that will change with standalone 5g.
    Do your software update today, it’s live (I’m using standalone on OnePlus 8).

I just tried it in San Jose at the airport, but the 600MHz 5G is not that great there (I assume due to permitting - as Cali is the main place I have issues with 5G coverage), I will test more when I’m back in Chicago tomorrow.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Yeah, once your site is modernized and it’s all tied together... n71, n66, n2, n41 would even suffice for home internet as that would be a few Gbps, especially if they set the home ISP to be ~200Mbps. It would be plenty for most, and at the $50 price point very attractive for many.
    The 120Mbps is typically from B4/B2 only. Sites in my area with full backhaul on B4/B2 only typically put out +200Mbps. At&t site a little further away puts out 200Mbps, but... It's sites are further spread out. 4 sites within 2 miles vs 6, and TMobile has a better location for me... Giving me typcially 80-120Mbps at home, while AT&T gives me 10-30. Adding in B41/n41 and B71/n71 (Sprint is colocated at that site with B41) shouldn't be hard.

Device(s)
    Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobil
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Do your software update today, it’s live (I’m using standalone on OnePlus 8).

I just tried it in San Jose at the airport, but the 600MHz 5G is not that great there (I assume due to permitting - as Cali is the main place I have issues with 5G coverage), I will test more when I’m back in Chicago tomorrow.
    The LG V60 has not released the update yet.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    because very few are using the service. Wait until it's available to everyone. This is where mmwave is important of capacity 1000 MHz has more capacity than 40 MHz that's just factual.
    Typical Hagar always disparaging T-Mobiles network while propping up your beloved verizon.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Reasons why TMobile will struggle to take over 'useable' coverage is because they aren't interested in outside of urban 'full' coverage. Eg. Cambria has 1 small cell site in the east side, which doesn't reach west village, and Moonstone Beach drive may get service outdoors... Better if you walk to the beach itself. Park Hill may get service if you can see Hearst Castle. The South end doesn't get service at all. At&t is a bit better, as they have a site (in addition to a colocated with TMOBILE), near PCH to reach West Village and parts of Moonstone Beach Drive and Park Hill area. Verizon takes that, and has a really tall site next to TMo/At&t site south of the.city which covers the entire south end, a site in the West Village, a site on Moonstone Beach drive and a site in Park Hill. Similarly, you won't find locals using TMobile, but some using AT&T and most on VZW. Many rural locals, or those that work (contractors/service people) will end up on service that works... Not just claims to.Name:  20200806_091923_HDR.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  40.0 KBName:  20200806_091926.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  18.3 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Reasons why TMobile will struggle to take over 'useable' coverage is because they aren't interested in outside of urban 'full' coverage. Eg. Cambria has 1 small cell site in the east side, which doesn't reach west village, and Moonstone Beach drive may get service outdoors... Better if you walk to the beach itself. Park Hill may get service if you can see Hearst Castle. The South end doesn't get service at all. At&t is a bit better, as they have a site (in addition to a colocated with TMOBILE), near PCH to reach West Village and parts of Moonstone Beach Drive and Park Hill area. Verizon takes that, and has a really tall site next to TMo/At&t site south of the.city which covers the entire south end, a site in the West Village, a site on Moonstone Beach drive and a site in Park Hill. Similarly, you won't find locals using TMobile, but some using AT&T and most on VZW. Many rural locals, or those that work (contractors/service people) will end up on service that works... Not just claims to.Name:  20200806_091923_HDR.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  40.0 KBName:  20200806_091926.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  18.3 KB

Verizon is probably the only carrier I've not really had issues with in Cali.

But as someone who's dealt with permitting and NIMBY I'm not surprised. Verizon just throws money at the the problem people and everyone else just let's them have the garbage service that they're asking for

Feedback Score
    ...Many rural locals, or those that work (contractors/service people) will end up on service that works... Not just claims to.
    Amen to that. I have been asking contractors/service people who come to our houses for 20 years what carrier they use. It has been 100% Verizon. Ditto my employer. Ditto the government depts. we contracted with. T-Mo and AT&T haven't been good enough around here. AT&T is ok, but not as good as Verizon. T-Mo? Forget it if you need service in all corners of the counties.

I have noticed in the past few years that contractors/service people don't use paper invoices anymore. They all use cellular tablets. They need their cell service to work in ALL areas of the counties.

T-Mo appears to be building a 5G network for the future and is definitely making a lot of noise about it. They are skipping a lot of LTE upgrades for now that would just be for the interim. That is a strategy and plan that may pay off with the limited money they have to spend. They have just started. I don't expect to see much that is a compelling reason to switch for a while, like a year or maybe three. It would also require switching to 5G devices. That is not too unreasonable over a three year period.

Chasing 5G with new devices now on any of the carriers is just being an early adopter of overpriced marginal devices. That would be a waste of money to me - same as being an early adopter of any new tech.

LTE is working fine in the mean time.

Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast