Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Activation policy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    118
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    Activation policy

    Please excuse the long backstory, but....

    I purchased an iPhone 6s from Total Wireless in May 2019. Fast forward to February 2020. This same phone experienced bluetooth problems requiring me to replace it under Apple warranty. I did call Total Wireless FIRST to inquire about a replacement - THEY stated handle through Apple.

    Went to Apple Store, they replaced phone. Kept phone on Total Wireless, did not change anything.

    April 2020, I decided to move to Verizon Prepaid. I did so with no problems. So, now on Verizon Prepaid with no issues.

    A few weeks later, I decided to update my phone and did a clean wipe and reinstall software. To my suprise, when I tried to turn the phone back on, this showed up:

    Name:  sim.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  42.5 KB

    So first I call Total Wireless. They have no clue but state that the phone I purchased in May 2019 must be used on Total Wireless for 1 year before being unlocked. I informed them that I had to replace that phone under warranty. They claim they can't find anything in their system that shows it is locked.

    So I contact Verizon. They have no clue but state that this phone must have been locked before at some point and Apple gave me a refurb phone in this state. They say it's an Apple issue.

    Basically, I had to port back to Total Wireless to get the phone to work.

    If I take a Verizon sim and put it back in the phone now, still gives me the same error.

    SOOOO after all this, can anyone help as to why this is the case? My only guess is that the phone I got from Apple was a refurb and had some kind of sim lock from a previous carrier on it.

    I want to use this phone with Verizon but I don't know who can finally solve the problem! How can I find out who has it locked?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    10,405
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Buy a "GSX report" on eBay for $1 - it will tell you what the current activation policy is which is who it's locked to. Basically you have an initial, current/applied, and future activation policy. My guess is that it was initially activated with a service policy (US unlocked) but the future policy was locked to TracFone/ST/TW which is what kicked in when it reset. It's going to be a pain in the behind to get TW to facilitate an unlock since their customer care team just reads from a script, so you may want to file a complaint with the BBB once you confirm it's locked to them.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

    Primary: iPhone 11 eSIM
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 11 dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,177
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    IMHO, Apple did not replace the phone with an unlocked model and that is the issue.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    10,405
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    IMHO, Apple did not replace the phone with an unlocked model and that is the issue.
    Apple is usually good about transferring the activation policy from the old device. Very rarely have I seen them fudge it up.

    That being the case, it's a nightmare dealing with them as well but if you're going to give it a shot you need to talk to a tier 2 rep and have them pull the activation policy from the defective device. They can do this by IMEI which if you have is great (should be on your receipt) or they can look it up. They'll have to submit an escalation - nothing will happen on the spot. Good luck.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,702
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    You need to call Apple to fix this.

    My iPhone 11 Pro Max direct from the Apple store did this with non US sims. I had to wait a few days after opening a ticket and they fixed it.

    Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

    I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

    My Photography www.hunterspad.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    118
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks all....

    I purchased the report and also contacted Apple. I'll update when I get some information.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    79
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm probably missing something.... and I'm not an iPhone user......
    Doesn't Total Wireless require 12 months of active service to unlock a phone? (I know that's so with Android devices.)
    If so...
    Original purchase in May 2019 would mean the phone should be eligible for unlocking in May 2020, assuming 12 months of continuous activity on Total Wireless.
    In that case, wouldn't the correct activation policy (including the replacement) mean that the phone should still be locked to TW?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    118
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    I'm probably missing something.... and I'm not an iPhone user......
    Doesn't Total Wireless require 12 months of active service to unlock a phone? (I know that's so with Android devices.)
    If so...
    Original purchase in May 2019 would mean the phone should be eligible for unlocking in May 2020, assuming 12 months of continuous activity on Total Wireless.
    In that case, wouldn't the correct activation policy (including the replacement) mean that the phone should still be locked to TW?
    Yes, however, the rep advised that there was no lock on it. I doubt that is true hence getting the report to find out for sure. I'm then going to try to talk to someone at TW that has half a brain.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,019
    Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I am wondering if it is still a lock because like people said Tracfone needs 12 months of service. You can even look here: https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/wps/portal/home/

    I have seen Tracfone not tell the truth on a few different things.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    724
    Feedback Score
    0
    for whatever it means over the years i have had several phones replaced by apple under warranty.

    my experience is that the replacement are initially unlocked and than at some point varying between a few minutes to several days they take on the unlock policy of the phone they replaced.

    during that timeframe of minutes to days if used with a SIM from a different carrier they will work stay usable until a reset or update triggers a check of the activation/unlock policy.

    i have know of people who intentional 'trick the system' by obtaining a warranty phone to immiediatly use on a different carrier knowing they will need to be careful about update, resets, etc. changing the SIM may also trigger the unlock policy to be set even without and update or reset.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    908
    Feedback Score
    0
    So, if the OP put the same original TW sim back in which he took out when they went to Verizon; will the 12mo lock clock start from where it left off meaning they just lost the time while on Verizon, (maybe now June or July till it hits 12 mo use) , or will the clock start all over again ?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,019
    Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    So, if the OP put the same original TW sim back in which he took out when they went to Verizon; will the 12mo lock clock start from where it left off meaning they just lost the time while on Verizon, (maybe now June or July till it hits 12 mo use) , or will the clock start all over again ?
    That is a good question that I was wondering about too.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    965
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    So, if the OP put the same original TW sim back in which he took out when they went to Verizon; will the 12mo lock clock start from where it left off meaning they just lost the time while on Verizon, (maybe now June or July till it hits 12 mo use) , or will the clock start all over again ?
    Tracfone's* willingness to unlock is based on the IMEI and the account number. The replacement IMEI may not be in the Tracfone system, since it was replaced under warranty by Apple, so Tracfone may not associate the IMEI of the new device with the old account (despite being the same phone number) since the line was ported out. So they really don't know if the same user is using that number, since there is a brand new account, making this complicated to unwind.

    I don't know why the initial switch to Verizon prepaid didn't trip the unsupported SIM error, since a SIM swap does that now. Any SIM swap from a different profile should re-trigger an activation request which checks for the unlock. The issue is that the year wasn't completed, and technically the phone isn't yet eligible to be unlocked.



    * Tracfone owns Total Wireless, Net 10, Page Plus, Tracfone, etc. and I believe the iPhone activation policy is related to Tracfone brand SIMs (e.g., you should be able to use an AT&T-based Net 10 SIM or a Verizon-based SIM from most of their brands in a locked device).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    724
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Tracfone's* willingness to unlock is based on the IMEI and the account number. The replacement IMEI may not be in the Tracfone system, since it was replaced under warranty by Apple, so Tracfone may not associate the IMEI of the new device with the old account (despite being the same phone number) since the line was ported out. So they really don't know if the same user is using that number, since there is a brand new account, making this complicated to unwind.

    I don't know why the initial switch to Verizon prepaid didn't trip the unsupported SIM error, since a SIM swap does that now. Any SIM swap from a different profile should re-trigger an activation request which checks for the unlock. The issue is that the year wasn't completed, and technically the phone isn't yet eligible to be unlocked.



    * Tracfone owns Total Wireless, Net 10, Page Plus, Tracfone, etc. and I believe the iPhone activation policy is related to Tracfone brand SIMs (e.g., you should be able to use an AT&T-based Net 10 SIM or a Verizon-based SIM from most of their brands in a locked device).

    things may have changed or be different based on carrier, but in my experience if the IMEI of the original phone is unlocked by tracfone/total wireless the activation policy should follow to the warranty replacement device. warranty phones are supposed to mirror the unlock policy of the phones they replace including future status changes.

    i know this from experience with apple warranties were i request unlocks on the original IMEI and the replacement was unlocked in its place.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    965
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    things may have changed or be different based on carrier, but in my experience if the IMEI of the original phone is unlocked by tracfone/total wireless the activation policy should follow to the warranty replacement device. warranty phones are supposed to mirror the unlock policy of the phones they replace including future status changes.

    i know this from experience with apple warranties were i request unlocks on the original IMEI and the replacement was unlocked in its place.
    I agree with you, but the port out and back in may have added a wrinkle from the Tracfone perspective. Tracfone will unlock the original IMEI after it us used for 12 months. Normally, an iPhone service provider can see 10 months on the original IMEI and then continuous use with the subsequent IMEI. So they’d normally be willing to procean the unlock (and may have visibility into the warranty swap if they access Apple’s activation policy servers).

    In this case, the number was ported out and then back in— which means it might be under a new Tracfone account — which may not have the full history linked from the old account. We all think about phone numbers, but there are underlying account numbers in many systems.

    I am not saying Tracfone can’t unlock the phone, but they may say it’s not eligible because they can’t link back to the old account to see if the 12 months of usage requirement has been met.

Similar Threads

  1. iPhone Activation Policy Change
    By DennyScher in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 07:04 AM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 03:47 AM
  3. Bell Updated BWA Hardware Activation Policy on Bell Networks
    By Deckster in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-16-2006, 10:41 PM
  4. Fido's New Activation Policy
    By Joe Camel in forum Fido
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 09:57 AM
  5. Verizon's policy on activating/replacing phones....
    By dmnhieu in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2003, 11:16 PM

Bookmarks