Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Freedom network killing my battery. help.

Carrier(s)
    freedom wind
    Feedback Score

Freedom network killing my battery. help.

I went from rogers to Freedom Mobile. I have a zte z958 (zmax 2 - 4 yrs old). I don't use data - just voice.

I’ve noticed my battery draining a lot faster on Freedom than it did on rogers (i have to charge up every day vs 4 days). Could this be because I’m using a different band on freedom? My battery was replaced just last summer so it’s still a good battery. (I also killed all backgrounds processes but phone). GSAM battery monitor apk said I had high phone radio drain.

lastly I tried freedom (wind) 3g and 4g in the network search option and no difference. I'm in vancouver bc.

if i piggyback on another network like telus - would that incur charges from freedom? (if thats even possible)

Any other fixes?

thanks

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If your phone is constantly searching for a cellular connection, it will drain the battery much faster. I suggest you talk to Freedom Mobile to confirm the phone has the most current network updates installed. They may need to resend the update to the phone. I suggest you go to your phone settings to confirm the network information version that is installed and write it down. In the US, the term is PRL but I don't know if it is designated differently where you live. Have you tried power cycling (off and back on) your phone yet?
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    freedom wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    If your phone is constantly searching for a cellular connection, it will drain the battery much faster. I suggest you talk to Freedom Mobile to confirm the phone has the most current network updates installed. They may need to resend the update to the phone. I suggest you go to your phone settings to confirm the network information version that is installed and write it down. In the US, the term is PRL but I don't know if it is designated differently where you live. Have you tried power cycling (off and back on) your phone yet?

Thanks. Yes I've restarted it several times. The phone isn't searching for a connection exactly. It's locked on to WIND 3G (but I've tried 4G) too) I'm in vancouver which should be a well covered area.

under APNs I have internet.windmobile.ca and mms.windmobile.ca for data/mms respectively.

preferred network type: GSM/WCDMA/LTE

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    One more thing to keep in mind. If the phone has the original battery still, the battery could be nearing the end of its useful lifespan. Is the battery easily accessible or is your phone physically sealed and not easily user accessible ?

Carrier(s)
    freedom wind
    Feedback Score
    It's actually a almost new battery .... replaceable. Besides the problem started literally the first day with freedom.

Feedback Score
    I remember those days on the swiss cheese network that Wind ran. Somewhat surprised that it is still that bad.

Carrier(s)
    freedom wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    I remember those days on the swiss cheese network that Wind ran. Somewhat surprised that it is still that bad.
    I found a solution. I camped out on an alternative network instead of wind and now my battery life is crazy good again.

I was losing 5% an hour. Now I'm losing 1%...

there is something definitely going on with wind/freedom cell towers/frequency that make cellphone have to work WAY harder to stay connected then with the big boys like bell/rogers/telus.

thank god the crtc forced them to open up to the low cost carriers...

Feedback Score
    Without that low band spectrum your phone needs to transmit at 2-4x the power just to keep a connection with the tower. High bands = more power required to travel.

Feedback Score
    Might also be due to your if phone is not able to access freedom's LTE network. I found a big difference in battery life once I changed to a phone that used LTE network.

Sent from my LG-H873 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Could be a few different reasons. Lower signal levels require higher transmit power on the phone to maintain a radio link. Network features like DRX will also improve battery life. The values of certain timers on the network, like periodic TA updates (T3412), could be a factor as well.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Your phone doesn't support Freedom's low band (B13) but does for Rogers/Telus/Bell (B12/B17), so as sheytoon mentioned your phone is having to use a lot more battery to communicate with the network. Did you actually disable data on your phone or just block it via their system? Fully disabling data on your phone may help.
    Barring that, a new phone with support for B13 and Freedom's VoLTE implementation is what you probably need to reduce battery drain.

Carrier(s)
    freedom wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    Your phone doesn't support Freedom's low band (B13) but does for Rogers/Telus/Bell (B12/B17), so as sheytoon mentioned your phone is having to use a lot more battery to communicate with the network. Did you actually disable data on your phone or just block it via their system? Fully disabling data on your phone may help.
    Barring that, a new phone with support for B13 and Freedom's VoLTE implementation is what you probably need to reduce battery drain.
    Thank you.

I did disable data completely but still killing my battery. You are right - I do not have b13.

even worse and another head scratcher - my so called solution of camping out on telus resulted in only being able to receive calls. No outgoing call ability. Sucks.

So my situation seems to be to find a cheap phone that can do b13....

ps..does freedom have a list of phones compatible with their voLTE?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pointbob View Post

Sure they do, any phone that they sell is compatible. Otherwise, it is up to you to research. A good tool is at Phonescoop.com where you can select phones using their phone finder tool based on your requirements to determine which ones have the necessary frequencies.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thank you.

A solution not mentioned is to keep your existing phone and move away from Freedom / Wind. From years of personal experience, their coverage in the Metro Vancouver area is very problem prone. After all, what good is a plan that only looks decent on paper when it doesn't work in reality.

I would suggest trying Telus/Koodo/Public and see what options they have for you. Their coverage locally and beyond is hard to beat. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
    Pixel 2.
    Nexus 5.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thank you.

I did disable data completely but still killing my battery. You are right - I do not have b13.

even worse and another head scratcher - my so called solution of camping out on telus resulted in only being able to receive calls. No outgoing call ability. Sucks.

That is quite odd, what happens when you call while on Telus? Do you get an error or some tone? It sounds like it may be blocked, as from what I recall Freedom discourages the use of roaming in home areas.

I would buy a cheap B13 phone from Freedom as was mentioned, finding a compatible phone is a pain....best case scenario is a Canadian (ending with W in model #) Samsung phone and change the CSC via a special code. However, that might not work either.

Btw, based off your username, are you living in Point Roberts? If so, signal will be a challenge, providers actively plan power/tilt on antennas to avoid interfering with US providers (and vise versa), so you will have challenges in border areas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast