Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tethering OK now?

Feedback Score

Tethering OK now?

Just poking around the TF FAQs and noticed that the response to "How do I tether" was "turn it on"!

https://support.tracfone.com/faqs/3090036?device=24832

When did this happen?

What happened to "it violates the Terms of Service!"

Now they can't blame me if I turn on tethering and it just works, because that's what their website says to do!

Name:  Screenshot_20200428-212243~2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  51.5 KB

Feedback Score
    some phones have tethering ability enabled. should work if you have Verizon & T mobile. it may not work if you are using AT&T

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    some phones have tethering ability enabled. should work if you have Verizon & T mobile. it may not work if you are using AT&T
    I have an off brand (Umidigi) BYOP Android phone on AT&T. It doesn't ask the network if tethering is allowed and just does it.

Feedback Score
    Interesting...I just tried turning on "Hotspot & Tethering" on my Moto X4 with a TF/AT&T sim in it. It worked! Never has before. Great, I guess.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Interesting...I just tried turning on "Hotspot & Tethering" on my Moto X4 with a TF/AT&T sim in it. It worked! Never has before. Great, I guess.
    Maybe a coronavirus thing? Kids have to use their phones for internet??

Might be temporary, if that's the case.

Feedback Score
    Got PM from AlexTrac bot (assuming it's a bot) saying the usual ToS doesn't allow tethering warning. No explanation for the FAQ.

At least we know how to summon the AlexTrac bot.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Got PM from AlexTrac bot (assuming it's a bot) saying the usual ToS doesn't allow tethering warning .
    What does that mean? Is tethering allowed or not, per the ToS?

Device(s)
    LG 290C
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Got PM from AlexTrac bot (assuming it's a bot) saying the usual ToS doesn't allow tethering warning. No explanation for the FAQ.

At least we know how to summon the AlexTrac bot.
    Tethering, tethering, tethering, tethering....

Can I please get a message from this AlexTrac? And yes, quite a few of the phones sold by Tracfone and locked to Tracfone have tethering working out of the box.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Who the heck knows. I've been tethering for years when I have to. I just don't do enough of it to attract attention.

I even had a Verizon JetPack HotSpot thing going at one point. (Come to think of it, I must still have it somewhere in the house.) If Verizon and/or TF cared enough, they can tell it is used for tethering because that's the only thing that device can do!
    Last edited by rchang; 04-29-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    On some carrier (and Tracfone) unbranded phones the hotspot app does not do an eligibility check with the carrier so hotspot works. My generic Moto G6 worked for hotspot long before the COVID. My Tracfone branded Moto E5 also works, but I only checked that a few weeks ago when TF may have already made this change.

With the info above, it appears that TF has gotten permission, at least temporarily, from the carriers to allow hotspot.

We will have to see how it plays out. It could be permanent. It could be temporary. It could go the way of Cricket where you pay extra to allow hotspot.

Going through this COVID nightmare could change the whole hotspotting landscape for many carriers and service providers.

I know before I had an unlimited hotspot device and plan that a bit of phone hotspot was something I really wanted to have available. Plans that had it without large additional cost were much more attractive and became a deciding factor in which service I used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The ToS is the same for all Tracfone companies, and was last revised in July 2019.

(vi) any applications that allow your phone to act as an internet access point or Wi-Fi for other devices and computers unless such use is allowed under your Plan.

"unless such use is allowed under your Plan" would be for Total Wireless and Straight Talk plans that have it.

Feedback Score
    I have an off brand (Umidigi) BYOP Android phone on AT&T. It doesn't ask the network if tethering is allowed and just does it.
    Just checked, my Moto G5 Plus with an AT&T TF SIM also allowed tethering.

My new iPhone SE on Verizon won't though.

Feedback Score
    Just got another PM from the TFAlex bot reiterating that hotspoting is NOT allowed. If TF would just respond in the thread, it might be more informative than singling out individual members. The bot did not address the FAQ that started the thread.

Feedback Score
    Demogorgon, Demogorgon, Demogorgon ...

Glad to see the summoning worked.

If it really is a new TF policy, it will take a while before someone reprograms the bot with new rules.

Feedback Score
    Demogorgon, Demogorgon, Demogorgon ...

Glad to see the summoning worked.

If it really is a new TF policy, it will take a while before someone reprograms the bot with new rules.
    Isn't your link in the OP for a specific model phone in the TF HowTo section? I Noticed the device= in the link and went to it. Just tells how to turn it on for the device; not that you're allowed to use in general with TF.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast