Thread: Moto G6 32gb refurb for $39

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davegar View Post
    hpham,
    Any ideas how I should address my issue posted above (G6 refurb from Amazon shipped with a SIM number on the red activation card, but SIM is not in the phone or package).
    See what Lisme posted above. Contact TF. At best, they'll pair one of your BYOP SIMs to the phone. At worst, they'll send you a new SIM free-of-charge, and pair it to the phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    See what Lisme posted above. Contact TF. At best, they'll pair one of your BYOP SIMs to the phone. At worst, they'll send you a new SIM free-of-charge, and pair it to the phone.
    Thanks to both of you. I'm probably worrying for no reason, but I approach every interaction with Tracfone with dread. Got this phone to replace my G5 Plus, which I had to emergency buy at (nearly) full price a couple years ago. I was leaving on a business trip and Tracfone deactivated my phone to get an airtime purchase added and told me they couldn't reactivate it. So off to Costco to buy a new phone.

I will give chat (weekday, not weekend) a shot and post the results

Feedback Score
    Report:

- phone has 32GB storage despite the item title on Amazon (tech specs said 32Gb, so not a surprise).

- inserted already activated TF AT&T BYOP SIM. Phone booted up with voice, data, SMS and MMS all working without entering any APN settings.

- The TF logo comes up during the boot sequence.

- system is Android 8.0. Did a system update and is still 8.0. Hmmm... Moto 6 is supposed to be upgradeable to Android Pie, but if TF has to be involved might not happen.

Update: annoying that cannot restore from my Moto G5 Plus because that has Android 8.1 and can't restore to phone running Android 8.0. Grrr..

Update 2: third time's the charm. After two security updates, it is now download Android 9.0. Fingers crossed

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Report:

- phone has 32GB storage despite the item title on Amazon (tech specs said 32Gb, so not a surprise).

- inserted already activated TF AT&T BYOP SIM. Phone booted up with voice, data, SMS and MMS all working without entering any APN settings.

- The TF logo comes up during the boot sequence.

- system is Android 8.0. Did a system update and is still 8.0. Hmmm... Moto 6 is supposed to be upgradeable to Android Pie, but if TF has to be involved might not happen.

Update: annoying that cannot restore from my Moto G5 Plus because that has Android 8.1 and can't restore to phone running Android 8.0. Grrr..

Update 2: third time's the charm. After two security updates, it is now download Android 9.0. Fingers crossed
    How does it look?
    Screen, back of the phone?

I'm really trying not to get too tempted by this.

Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

Feedback Score
    After upgrading to Pie, there will probably be some security updates. Then, according to knowledgeable people, you should do a factory reset so that Pie can integrate properly. Maybe even before the security updates. There have been reports of the phone acting less than optimally otherwise.

The Moto G5 Plus is a really good phone and will make a fine backup. I have one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davegar View Post
    hpham

You seem like one of the more knowledgeable people on the site. Any ideas how I should address my issue posted above (G6 refurb from Amazon shipped with a SIM number on the red activation card, but SIM is not in the phone or package). I have a number of unused Tracfone SIM kits but have read various opinions of whether Tracfone would assign one of these BYOP SIMs to the phone. If they won't do this, do you think they would assign a new SIM to the phone over chat and ship one to me? I'm trying to avoid returning the phone to Amazon.

It seems there is a thread on here somewhere dealing with this question, but I couldn't find it.

TIA.
    Get on tracfone chat and share your situation with them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    How does it look?
    Screen, back of the phone?

I'm really trying not to get too tempted by this.

Looks new. Don't see any scratches. I like it. No notch and a thin home button. Definitely worth the $35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    After upgrading to Pie, there will probably be some security updates. Then, according to knowledgeable people, you should do a factory reset so that Pie can integrate properly. Maybe even before the security updates. There have been reports of the phone acting less than optimally otherwise.

The Moto G5 Plus is a really good phone and will make a fine backup. I have one.
    Yup, 3 or 4 security updates. Thought I could restore from Google Drive somehow, but nope. Had to do a factory reset. Good thing the factory reset didn't wipe out the Android 9.0 update. Was able to restore from my Moto G5 Plus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Looks new. Don't see any scratches. I like it. No notch and a thin home button. Definitely worth the $35.
    I was hoping that it wasn't very good.

I am getting that feeling like I might need a new toy.

But I'm trying not to.

Well if the temptation gets too bad I'll probably end up posting about it.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score

But I'm trying not to.
    Don't get infected by the "bug". Step back and stay at least 6' way from any discussion about another phone.

Feedback Score
    I was hoping that it wasn't very good.

But I'm trying not to.

Well if the temptation gets too bad I'll probably end up posting about it.

Yup, I was hoping that the deal would've ended by the time I finished looking up reviews.

Also, it wasn't supposed to come today. I have work due tomorrow. Should have been doing that instead of doing half a dozen security updates.

Feedback Score
    Slick Deals announcing the offer has expired. Amazon price is back to $139.95.
    Walmart price is now $51.25

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    glad I got mine at $35!

The $139 at Amazon now includes $40 card. Still not sure I would pay $99 for the phone. It's probably worth $99. Just don't need another phone except to play with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Thank you!

I can let this one go now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Don't get infected by the "bug". Step back and stay at least 6' way from any discussion about another phone.
    Thankfully the price has taken the temptation away.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast