Thread: Not receiving calls/SMS from some online sites

Feedback Score

Not receiving calls/SMS from some online sites

Has anyone else had the problem of certain bank/credit card and other type sites apparently not being able to send a text or call your Gophone phone for two-factor authentication? I had this again today where I was on Marriott's site and they requested to send a code either by SMS or a call to my cell number. Neither worked, but when I changed my preference to use my home land-line number, the call immediately came through.

I also seem not to get certain SMS notifications from one of my credit card accounts that is using the AT&T number.

Is there some sort of validation check that prepaid phones don't pass? Anyone else seen this?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    Has anyone else had the problem of certain bank/credit card and other type sites apparently not being able to send a text or call your Gophone phone for two-factor authentication? I had this again today where I was on Marriott's site and they requested to send a code either by SMS or a call to my cell number. Neither worked, but when I changed my preference to use my home land-line number, the call immediately came through.

I also seem not to get certain SMS notifications from one of my credit card accounts that is using the AT&T number.

Is there some sort of validation check that prepaid phones don't pass? Anyone else seen this?
    Never had an issue on AT&T Prepaid with any text, message, or two-factor authentication service... This was the primary reason I left H2O years ago though, because several didn't work.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Google Pixel 3a XL (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Nokia 6.1 (AT&T), Huawei P20

Feedback Score
    Imo it's your phone. Over the years the infrequent SMS problems I've had. All but 2 have been fixed by reboots. The other 2 were nationwide AT&T SMS outages.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Imo it's your phone. Over the years the infrequent SMS problems I've had. All but 2 have been fixed by reboots. The other 2 were nationwide AT&T SMS outages.
    Except that it also didn't work when I chose the option of getting an automated phone call with the code. I have no trouble with incoming phone calls, and it still didn't work. And when I instead chose to get a call to my alternate number, it came through immediately.

I'm still wondering if they do some sort of check on the number and assume that a prepaid phone is a "burner" or something. Oh well, so far I've been able to get around it when it happens.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    I have had and still have only prepaid lines with all major carriers directly or thru MVNOs and I have never had an issue with not getting calls and texts from websites because these were prepaid accounts.

I did have some issues like short code texts not working properly with T-mobile once, or because I needed to specify to whoever is sending the text the underlying moving operator since my MVNO wasn't listed as a provider, but mostly I think they can identify what provider the number belongs to, be it a prepaid account or not. I doubt these sites discriminate prepaid account holders (millions use them) and I even doubt they can tell by themselves which ones are prepaid accounts.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I had a similar problem a few months back. Turned out, my SIM card was going bad. Go to an At&t Corporate Store and get a new SIM card.