Thread: Bixby vs. Google

Feedback Score

Bixby vs. Google

I posted this under the phone section, but got no responses. Thought maybe someone here might have an opinion.

I have been using Moto phones for the past twenty years. "OK Google" works great for me. It understands me and brings back a positive response 95% of the time. It doesn't matter if I'm searching the net, making a call, building a shopping list, setting an alarm or calendar event, etc., it just works. Speech to text is especially accurate.

I'm considering moving to a Samsung Galaxy S10 or S10E. I understand that they have gone from Google to a character called Bixby. If you've used both, how would you compare their performance?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    You can use both with the galaxy device. I don't bother with bixby at all.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I use a Samsung Galaxy S9+ phone that utilizes both. Bixby is a digital assistant developed by Samsung for use on its phones to compete with Siri from Apple. While there a few features in Bixby that I do use, the majority of my searches are done with the Google application. Just another way to essentially do the same thing. I can't say that one is better than the other, I am just more accustomed to Google. You are not forced to use Bixby with Samsung phones and/or use both assistants at will.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Thanks much.

So, this Bixby can be turned off?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandro View Post
    You can use both with the galaxy device. I don't bother with bixby at all.

I feel especially honored by your response. A member for 14 years and just a handful of replies. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    No problem bud

Feedback Score
    I don't know if bixby can be totally turned off but you can reassign the button on the side door something else. I just use the"Ok Google", never had a problem with bixby interfering.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Not exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Thanks much.

So, this Bixby can be turned off?
    If you say "Hey Google", Bixby won't respond. Bixby uses a different catchphrase, "Hi Bixby". The two assistants don't conflict with each other. No need to shut off one or the other to use the digital assistant of your choice.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    How comfortable are you running adb commands?

You can uninstall all of the Bixby crap (not to mention a ton of other bloat that gets installed on Samsung and Android devices in general these days) this way. I think I removed about 100 pieces of spyware and bloatware on my Note 10+. It's not hard or really even unsafe as long as you know what you're doing. The packages you uninstall through adb aren't really removed anymore as far as I understand, and can be reinstalled through adb since they still exist in the filesystem. But do your homework if you go down that route, for sure. I take no responsibility for bricked phones!

But the real question is why Samsung after 20 years? Motorolas are a much better experience if you prefer the more "Stock Android" look and feel, Samsungs are very heavily customized and skinned. When I got my Note it was like learning a whole new OS since I haven't bought a Samsung product since the Galaxy S III. It's not a bad device, but it has a ~4500mAh battery that lasts about as long as one with half the capacity with all the extraneous garbage that runs in the background doing who knows what.

Not to mention that as far as I know, Motorola (Lenovo) still allows you to own and control your device. I'm still waiting to be able to unlock the bootloader and put a Samsung and Google-free ROM on the Note. I mistakenly thought if I paid $1100 for a factory unlocked and unbranded device I would actually own it. Caveat emptor, since from what I understand no one even bothers trying to free the high-end Samsungs from their cryptographically-enforced prisons these days.

My daily driver Android is a Moto Z3 Play, which even with its weak radio is better than a fully pwned spy device, because I can control what ROM I run and I have root. Battery life is impeccable without spyware. The Note 10+ is languishing in the bad decision tote with other toys I don't use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    But the real question is why Samsung after 20 years? Motorolas are a much better experience if you prefer the more "Stock Android" look and feel,
    In a word, SIZE.

I don't use my cell phone as a computer, tv screen, or professional camera. All the phones now take great pictures, as far as I'm concerned. I mostly just make phones calls and do texting.

I really like the Moto experience. I had the Moto X and now use the G5 Plus. The Moto X was/is the perfect size for a cellphone. Moto's are getting bigger and bigger. The Galaxy S10 and S10E are about as small as I can find for the experience I want. I know, there are smaller like the Palm and Xperia Compact, but they don't impress me.

I recently took a hard look at going with the iPhone SE. I could get it for $8 month or $200 over two years. I like the size and it has a modern processor in it. I just can't make myself buy into that Apple thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    In a word, SIZE. ...

I recently took a hard look at going with the iPhone SE. I could get it for $8 month or $200 over two years. I like the size and it has a modern processor in it. I just can't make myself buy into that Apple thing.
    Pixel 4 on sale now for $300.00 off: $499.00. Best Buy, B&H, Google website and it has an eSIM.

Caution: the back glass broke when it went through the JerryRigEverythig durability test.