Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get old Nokia 2190 working.. Ideas?

Feedback Score
    Tested my Sony Ericsson i800 and i750, it works with all my SIM cards, I can make call, surf web on 2G/2.5G. (GPRS).

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Tested my Sony Ericsson i800 and i750, it works with all my SIM cards, I can make call, surf web on 2G/2.5G. (GPRS).

I'm noticing on the newest batch of SIM cards (the ones with TM9263 stamped on the bottom) are the ones I'm having issues registering in old devices.

I'm using a TracFone SIM in the Motorola Select right now.

Putting a TM9263 SIM in now, yields this eror (even unactivated ones)

Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post

The Motorola Select 2000e will work for sure, as does my old 8390, and I currently have my old StarTac activated on Sprint/Tello 1c/min pay as you go.
    I don’t know why but that just boggles my mind that an old StarTac will still even work. But I would imagine if all you did was make calls on it then functionally it would work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I don’t know why but that just boggles my mind that an old StarTac will still even work. But I would imagine if all you did was make calls on it then functionally it would work just fine.

What else would you do on a StarTac? it's literally the phone i use on call for work hah, and with it being so old it only supports CDMA 13k, so it has great audio quality.

The battery still holds a charge for a few days, and it's a number *only* work has, so when I am off work, it gets shut off!

I know it says "Alltel" the hinge had broken on my OG Sprint housing, so I just transplanted the motherboard.

Feedback Score
    I'm noticing on the newest batch of SIM cards (the ones with TM9263 stamped on the bottom) are the ones I'm having issues registering in old devices.

I'm using a TracFone SIM in the Motorola Select right now.

Putting a TM9263 SIM in now, yields this eror (even unactivated ones)

That was the known issue I said previously.
    The new SIM card is 3V only (previous SIM card supports both 3V/5V). Your old phone cannot use 3V SIM.
    I put a TM9263 SIM card to my SE i800 , it works fine , it can read SIM's contact, and making/receiving calls

Device(s)
    Alcatel Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    just FYI: GSM network is poor now. My old flip phone took 25 minutes to find a signal in Virginia between 2014-2016. I would loose the signal often even when I am outdoors. Sometimes, the phone found an AT&T signal before it found a T-Mobile signal. I ended up buying an Alctel 4G LTE flip phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by starionwolf View Post
    just FYI: GSM network is poor now. My old flip phone took 25 minutes to find a signal in Virginia between 2014-2016. I would loose the signal often even when I am outdoors. Sometimes, the phone found an AT&T signal before it found a T-Mobile signal. I ended up buying an Alctel 4G LTE flip phone.
    How could you can get at&t signal ? At&t shutdown all GSM network in 2016.
    I put my sim to old phone , it gets signal in seconds

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by starionwolf View Post
    All of my GSM1900 phones find signal immediately when they like agree with the SIM card.

@Androided, the phones i'm trying to use are from the late 1990s, the phone are using is at least 8-10yrs newer, so it would support better network security/certificates.

Feedback Score
    so it would support better network security/certificates.
    I think Androided might be right that the newer SIM card doesn't have 5V compatibility that your old devices need. At some point T-Mobile probably decided why are we making 3V/5V cards when few people would need some a capability.

Feedback Score
    If i can just find an old one still attached to a prepaid account.. i'm guessing that's the only way i'm going to get this done.

I use a prepaid phone for work "on call" anyway, so if I can still find an old Gold Rewards account for semi reasonable price i'll pick it up and just transition to that.
    I sent you a private message.

Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    Can OLD GSM only phones like the 2190 still work on modern systems? I thought U.S. carriers deactivated GSM 1900 band only phones. Do old Sprint/Vz CDMA phones still work?
    T-Mobile is the only one left in the US that still has some 2G GSM running. I don't know how widespread it is for general coverage availability, but, for sure, it has no future.

Old Sprint and Vz CDMA phones still work. Verizon only works if the phone is already active. They have not activated any new CDMA only phone lines for about 2 years.

I guess Sprint CDMA phones can still be activated, but Sprint CDMA doesn't have much future since T-Mobile bought them. I still have two active old Sprint CDMA phones with Tello service. They still work for who knows how long.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    2G coverage in SoCal is still quite extensive in populated areas and areas like mine that are semi-rural.

I have a ZTE Cymbal that allows you to force 2G only.

Call quality is excellent on 2G when the signal is strong but once you go into a weak area it has a real hard time recovering.

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    T-Mobile is the only one left in the US that still has some 2G GSM running.......
    Not wishing to be a pedant but you might want to qualify that with "major carrier". AFAICT, Commnet and BugTussel seem to be still running GSM.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Not wishing to be a pedant but you might want to qualify that with "major carrier". AFAICT, Commnet and BugTussel seem to be still running GSM.
    Good point. I was not thinking about the small regional carriers.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    IWireless still had a good maybe 50% of their network still 2G-only when T-Mobile bought them out last year .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast