Thread: Wi-Fi calling verses network

Feedback Score

Wi-Fi calling verses network

So I have Sprint and a good friend has tmobile. We both use Wi-Fi calling and have had a person or to say we are breaking. Assuming a good internet connection should one be better sounding over the other. For both of us.the call sounds fine. On my Sprint lg phones sometimes it says calling for along time befor ringing. How does Wi-Fi calling work anyway.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    WiFi Calling is a type of VoIP built into the firmware. It is highly dependent on the quality of the WiFi/Broadband connection. Cheap WiFi routers used to cause such problems that T-Mobile would provide ASUS routers to customers who asked for them. If I go to where I have about 50% WiFi "bars" in my house, the call will sound "broken up". I generally leave my phone set to "prefer cellular" so that WiFi Calling is only used when there is no cellular signal. When roaming internationally, I change it to WiFi Preferred or WiFi Only.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. I talk on the phone alot and fees I guilty for not having a land line there for I use Wi-Fi calling. On my end the the call sounds great
    I think of we can it is good to take the load off the cell network.

Does Wi-Fi have a better or worse sound than mobile. Only some people say it is cutting out words but not sure if I buy what they say. How can I watch YouTube just fine but a call is prkblematuxic lol.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprint1 View Post

Does Wi-Fi have a better or worse sound than mobile. Only some people say it is cutting out words but not sure if I buy what they say. How can I watch YouTube just fine but a call is prkblematuxic lol.
    Like DRNewcomb stated, WiFi calling is VoIP and can cause problems on the other end. Think it has to do with slow upload speed from the caller's end. What you hear from their end is on the download leg, which is always faster. My DSL is about a 10X speed difference between download and upload. Watching YouTube is all download.

Name:  Speedtest_by_Ookla_The_Global_Broadband_Speed_Test.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  51.5 KB

Feedback Score
    My friends upload is probably better Than mine which is 1 mbps I find it hard to believe that isn't good enuff.

Feedback Score
    My friends upload is probably better Than mine which is 1 mbps I find it hard to believe that isn't good enuff.
    0.7 Mbps (both ways) is enough* for VOIP, but it also has to be good in quality (both ways) - with very little packet loss and excessive jitter. In simple terms, jitter is the variability in ping time.

What happens with Wifi-calling VOIP is the digitized audio is sent and received over the general Internet. The Internet is not designed for real-time communications so interruptions can happen leading to audio drop outs and odd sounds.

Most of the time it works pretty well for me on my cable Internet home Wifi. On hotel Wifi and my cellular hotspot it doesn't work nearly as well.

Find a site to measure both upload and download speeds and packet loss and jitter. If anyone knows a good site for that please post it.

*The exact number that is enough depends on the CODEC being used. 0.7 Mbps is enough for landline quality audio.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Find a site to measure both upload and download speeds and packet loss and jitter. If anyone knows a good site for that please post it.
    Ookla Speedtest app does show ping, jitter, and packet loss. Not separately for download and upload though. Using the website shows only the speeds and ping.

Feedback Score
    So I have Sprint and a good friend has tmobile. We both use Wi-Fi calling and have had a person or to say we are breaking.
    Why you are using carrier WiFi calling? Would think the call audio quality is inferior to using HD Voice.

Feedback Score
    I said why and done times he voice seems to work. I don't waste data on speed tests.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Phone-quality audio actually only requires less than 0.1mbps, it's 0.07mbps or so; after all even surround sound 5.1-channel audio is like 0.3-0.4mbps. You've got plenty of speed.

The problem will be jitter.. if you have even a constant 250ms ping everything will probably work, of course it works if it's like 40ms ping too. But if it's 40 sometimes and 250ms other times, that's like 1/5th of a second of jitter and is already too much for VOIP to deal with. All too often on a connection with 1mbps upstream or so they can suffer badly from buffer bloat. The DSL modem has some packet buffers, this is fine, at this point the device can still give VOIP packets priority so they can get through as soon as possible. But then there's a transmit queue, just 15 or 20 packets at 1mbps will already be 200ms of data, 1/5th of a second. Once the VOIP packets get delayed, it's live audio so there's just a dropout in the audio on the other end of the call. Some devices now put a few packets at a time into these transmit queues to fight buffer bloat; some that don't the queue is set to 100 packets, you start having 1000ms+ pings at the times when someone's uploading a photo or e-mail or anything.

Something to check -- are you on 2.4ghz wifi? At my place, my parents place, friends places, there's tons of 2.4ghz access points running, the channels are congested. Running device-to-device video streams, speeds fluctuate wildly, wifi pings vary wildly. 5ghz in contrast has relatively empty channels and much more stable speeds and ping times (also way higher peak speeds, but not really relevant for VOIP...). If you don't have a 5ghz network running, that could well solve your problems with wifi calling. Edit: if you throw wifi analyzer onto an android device, you can see what all's running. Almost anywhere I'll see like 20-30 or more networks on 2.4 and maybe 5 or 6 on 5ghz.

Feedback Score
    FWIW my Sprint WiFi calling has been working well, but I have a good connection so I am sure that makes a difference. The Sprint Voip Servers seem to be a lot more reliable than I remember when using an Airrave.

Feedback Score
    The title of this thread is bugging me:
    "Wi-Fi calling verses network"

"verses" = third person present, speak in or compose verse; versify.

OP probably meant "versus"= "in contrast to" or "as the alternative of "

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If it's the worst grammatical error on HoFo, we're doing really well.

Feedback Score
    I abhor wi-fi calling.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I used Sprint WiFi Calling in Israel last year to call home to the USA. Worked flawlessly

www.freekeene.com ... New Hampshire's liberty activist online destination!