Thread: Does (or will) Tello work with non-Sprint phones now that the merger has happened?

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score

Does (or will) Tello work with non-Sprint phones now that the merger has happened?

Does (or will) Tello work with non-Sprint phones now that the merger has happened?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clocks11 View Post
    Not yet, as far I can tell, but probably eventually.

Feedback Score
    See https://tello.com/help_center?qid=695 for more device compatibility info.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E6, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clocks11 View Post
    It works with unlocked phones. I've used moto x4, e4, g5s+, g4+,g6 and g7.

Feedback Score
    Does not recognize my umidigi IMEI

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevdogg32901 View Post
    Does not recognize my umidigi IMEI

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk
    Currently, Tello requires a clear for activation Sprint device, or an universal factory unlocked phone that is approved by Sprint like the ones listed at the link I posted. Note that the list of phones at that link isn't all-inclusive, but you'll get the idea.

Similar to how a Umidigi or similar phone can't be used to activate a Vzw SIM card, it goes a step farther with Sprint, because with Sprint, the SIM card is paired with the approved phone at activation.

For more info, check the link I posted above, https://tello.com/help_center?qid=695.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 4 XL, Apple iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Currently, it's business as usual for Tello. In that only Sprint-capable phones like the ones listed as compatible for their service will work and be eligible for activation. That all being said, once T-Mobile actually begins the process of moving Sprint network customers over to the T-Mobile network, my guess is that Tello will follow suit. I'm sure all companies involved will make this clear to consumers with marketing campaigns in the coming months.

The fastest way I can see them doing this would be to open up service on T-Mobile for new customers/activations, and limit any new activations on the Sprint network moving forward. This would give them the benefit of opening up device compatibility. I believe this tactic is what T-Mobile used when they bought and decommissioned the old CDMA network that Metro ran on back in the MetroPCS days.