Thread: Best way to get a UK Number for AT&T Wireless data plan?

Feedback Score

Best way to get a UK Number for AT&T Wireless data plan?

I am looking to get a UK VoIP or SIP telephone number for my Ipad. I use AT&T Wireless for my data plan. I am looking for a provider who is directly peered with ATT in the UK at low latency. I tried a free voip number which has problems with incoming calls from providers and was too slow with packet loss. It was using low grade peering from cogent and hurricane electric and another provider which are known to oversell transit links and charge a low price for access.

Vodaphone and BT which are high grade transit both seem to require mobile or landline service if you want their Sip or voip solutions which will work with ios. Are there any companies which have excellent peering for a good price for what am looking for?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    I am looking to get a UK VoIP or SIP telephone number for my Ipad. I use AT&T Wireless for my data plan. I am looking for a provider who is directly peered with ATT in the UK at low latency. I tried a free voip number which has problems with incoming calls from providers and was too slow with packet loss. It was using low grade peering from cogent and hurricane electric and another provider which are known to oversell transit links and charge a low price for access.

Vodaphone and BT which are high grade transit both seem to require mobile or landline service if you want their Sip or voip solutions which will work with ios. Are there any companies which have excellent peering for a good price for what am looking for?
    If you are traveling you would just be able to use your current att number while there. Edit iPads don't get phone numbers

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    If you are traveling you would just be able to use your current att number while there. Edit iPads don't get phone numbers

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    I use voip and/or sip ios applications for phone numbers. Low latency routing and a good price for a reliable service is key. AT&T has peering inside UK so the connection has to be made to a phone company who can host the number.

The big players do have wholesale agreements so I don’t know which firms will resell those if the big players will not sell directly.

Feedback Score
    I use voip and/or sip ios applications for phone numbers. Low latency routing and a good price for a reliable service is key. AT&T has peering inside UK so the connection has to be made to a phone company who can host the number. The big players do have wholesale agreements so I don’t know which firms will resell those if the big players will not sell directly.
    can't you just get a local sim while in the UK ?? see here - https://www.cellularabroad.com/att_intl.php plus you get a local number.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    can't you just get a local sim while in the UK ?? see here - https://www.cellularabroad.com/att_intl.php plus you get a local number.
    The OP wants a UK number to use in the states, I get what they're trying to do, as I have one myself as i've made quite a few friends over in the UK over the years from visiting.

I use voip.ms.. they have several POP's that can be used, and have worked fantastic for me. I even just have it forward to my actual US number so I can answer there. The line costs ms $4/mo, and I use Bria as my softphone client and think I pay ~$30/yr for that. It's not the cheapest setup, but it works well.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    The OP wants a UK number to use in the states, I get what they're trying to do, as I have one myself as i've made quite a few friends over in the UK over the years from visiting.

I use voip.ms.. they have several POP's that can be used, and have worked fantastic for me. I even just have it forward to my actual US number so I can answer there. The line costs ms $4/mo, and I use Bria as my softphone client and think I pay ~$30/yr for that. It's not the cheapest setup, but it works well.
    Seems like there are firms all over the world selling international numbers. Problem is reliability and call quality can vary.

Routing to a regular phone number seems antiquated in the days of the internet but is necessary to be backwards compatible with existing mobile and landlines to reach audiences in respective markets. And outgoing calls are still necessary to speak to people as well.

I could obtain a mobile number as well from one of the UK providers and use call forwarding. Problem is you need to be in UK to activate the device on its own network first I believe.

Feedback Score
    Seems like there are firms all over the world selling international numbers. Problem is reliability and call quality can vary. Routing to a regular phone number seems antiquated in the days of the internet but is necessary to be backwards compatible with existing mobile and landlines to reach audiences in respective markets. And outgoing calls are still necessary to speak to people as well. I could obtain a mobile number as well from one of the UK providers and use call forwarding. Problem is you need to be in UK to activate the device on its own network first I believe.
    according to this - https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions...k_ql_ql_al_hza you can activate the UK Three sim while in the USA.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Seems like there are firms all over the world selling international numbers. Problem is reliability and call quality can vary.

Routing to a regular phone number seems antiquated in the days of the internet but is necessary to be backwards compatible with existing mobile and landlines to reach audiences in respective markets. And outgoing calls are still necessary to speak to people as well.

I could obtain a mobile number as well from one of the UK providers and use call forwarding. Problem is you need to be in UK to activate the device on its own network first I believe.
    That's why I recommend VoIP.ms, they have a ton of POP points and you can actually go into your account and change them on demand if one is not working for you.

It's $4/mo for unlimited incoming (for a UK number), and it's fractions of a penny/min outbound.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    That's why I recommend VoIP.ms, they have a ton of POP points and you can actually go into your account and change them on demand if one is not working for you.

It's $4/mo for unlimited incoming (for a UK number), and it's fractions of a penny/min outbound.
    Reminds me of how multiuser internet applications sometimes allowed you to switch servers based on location. Same concept applied to ip based phone services.

The newer Transatlantic submarine cables have higher speeds and lower latency across the Atlantic which is important with another one being activated in the near future.
    Last edited by LTENetwork; 05-08-2020 at 05:25 PM.