Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: data not working on iphone 6s

Feedback Score

data not working on iphone 6s

Hello. I have been using a Verizon iphone 6s on TF successfully for a few years now. All of the sudden I can't use it when I am not on wifi. There is a 1x in the upper right hand corner, and under settings it is on 3G. The LTE has a circle next to it that just keeps spinnng. I am not out of data. Any ideas? Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
    Hello. I have been using a Verizon iphone 6s on TF successfully for a few years now. All of the sudden I can't use it when I am not on wifi. There is a 1x in the upper right hand corner, and under settings it is on 3G. The LTE has a circle next to it that just keeps spinnng. I am not out of data. Any ideas? Thank you.
    Have you turned the phone completely off and then turned it back on to see if that makes any difference?

Feedback Score
    You have lost LTE, and are running only on CDMA. When did you activate it? Tracfone activations with VoLTE started around mid-year 2018. I have seen phones loose LTE for no reason, even directly on Verizon accounts. Friend had this happen, and Verizon had to reactivate the account with a new SIM card. Tracfone can do the same.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You have lost LTE, and are running only on CDMA. When did you activate it? Tracfone activations with VoLTE started around mid-year 2018. I have seen phones loose LTE for no reason, even directly on Verizon accounts. Friend had this happen, and Verizon had to reactivate the account with a new SIM card. Tracfone can do the same.
    Thank you. Yes, I have powered down the phone many times. I have not done a hard reset if anyone thinks that would help I can try.

I have had this phone for a few years and before that I believe I had this same sim card in my iphone 5, always w/TF.

Thank you

Feedback Score
    Thank you. Yes, I have powered down the phone many times. I have not done a hard reset if anyone thinks that would help I can try. I have had this phone for a few years and before that I believe I had this same sim card in my iphone 5, always w/TF. Thank you
    make sure that the iphone has all the latest updates including the carrier update

Feedback Score
    I have had this phone for a few years and before that I believe I had this same sim card in my iphone 5, always w/TF.
    A SIM swap from an iPhone 5 will not allow VoLTE, as that phone never had it. If this is the issue, it might be best to transfer the 5 service to the 6s using a new BYOP SIM card. You can't activate an iPhone 5 on any Verizon provider at this time. Run the 6s through the TF compatibility checker to see if it can be activated.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. I have been using this phone and sim card configuration for over a year without an issue. It just suddenly stopped working. I have done all of the updates.

I'm talking to TF and they are saying it is because I used it in another phone first, and I need a new sim card. My family has always updated by just reusing the card, but I guess that is where I am at.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Verizon is abandoning CDMA at the end of the year for VoLTE (Voice over LTE). If CDMA goes down on a tower, they do not fix it but instead, change then to VoLTE. You need to get VoLTE working now on your 6s with a transfer of service to a new SIM. Tracfone needs the IMEI of the 6s tied to the new SIM s/n in their system. Then you can consider SIM swapping again. AT&T & T-Mobile will soon be switching to VoLTE.

The Tracfone e-Bay store may be the cheapest source for a new SIM if the Tracfone CSR wants to charge you. 3 provider SIM Kit ships free.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Ke...MAAOSwVBVb02o4
    Last edited by Tracfancier; 05-07-2020 at 06:40 AM.

Feedback Score
    I have been using this phone and sim card configuration for over a year without an issue. It just suddenly stopped working.
    Hard to say why LTE got dropped on your phone. The VoLTE requirement has changed things on a network level. It is certain you need to have a VoLTE account, so just do it by activating the 6s. $1 SIM kits are easy to find. Target, Best Buy, Tracfone eBay store.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. I have been using this phone and sim card configuration for over a year without an issue. It just suddenly stopped working. I have done all of the updates.

I'm talking to TF and they are saying it is because I used it in another phone first, and I need a new sim card. My family has always updated by just reusing the card, but I guess that is where I am at.
    Have you tried installing a network profile? Had a problem with an iPhone 5s on Verizon where I suddenly lost data. You are not supposed to need to install a profile for Verizon. I think Apple is supposed to send the profile to the phone. But if this gets messed up, ...

One thing to try is resetting the network. You lose your WiFi passwords, but other data should be intact.

I had a bad experience with installing network profiles, so I really don't want to give specific instructions. I had a network profile from TF that got stuck. It wasn't installed, but prevented any other profile from being installed. Had to do a factory reset and lose some data.

There was a whole thread on this a few years ago. Thought they fixed that problem.

Update: found the thread
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...lation-problem

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Have you tried installing a network profile? Had a problem with an iPhone 5s on Verizon where I suddenly lost data. You are not supposed to need to install a profile for Verizon. I think Apple is supposed to send the profile to the phone. But if this gets messed up, ...
    Issue here is an iPhone 6s that does not work correctly with a swapped iPhone 5 SIM. Nobody should expect much for an iPhone 5 on Verizon at this point. At best it will linger on until the CDMA is shut off. OP needs to get their account off the 5 and onto the 6s to provision VoLTE.

Friend of mine has a similar issue with a Sprint iPhone 5s. It will not be able to be transferred to a T-Mobile account after the merger, as it's not VoLTE capable. The iPhone 5 is a dying orphan at this point.

Feedback Score
    Issue here is an iPhone 6s that does not work correctly with a swapped iPhone 5 SIM. Nobody should expect much for an iPhone 5 on Verizon at this point. At best it will linger on until the CDMA is shut off. OP needs to get their account off the 5 and onto the 6s to provision VoLTE.

Friend of mine has a similar issue with a Sprint iPhone 5s. It will not be able to be transferred to a T-Mobile account after the merger, as it's not VoLTE capable. The iPhone 5 is a dying orphan at this point.
    You're right. Transferring to a new Verizon SIM using the iPhone 6s IMEI is the easier thing to do.

Not entering your phone's SIM into the TF database used to be a thing to keep your phone from being Slim-jacked. This is no longer an issue with "rebranding". Also, value of an iPhone 6s down the road is minimal.

If OP has a SIM handy, transfer can take only a few minutes. Just did a Verizon to Verizon transfer a couple of weeks ago and that was almost instantaneous. Did it using my TF web account. Went from a SIM attached to an iPhone 5c IMEI (used on a TW iPhone 6) to a $29.99 eBay 1yr 1200/1200/3GB SIM card using the real IMEI of an iPhone SE (unlocked). No issues keeping my number and transferring my balance.

OTOH, if he has to order a SIM, and that's going to take a few days, and he really needs a data connection, he could try installing a network profile as a temporary workaround. Just BACK UP your phone first.

Sent from my F1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    $1 SIM kits are easy to find. Target, Best Buy, Tracfone eBay store.
    Second thought is that retail stores like Target and Best Buy are harder to access right now. Target restricts entry, and Best Buy only has curbside pickup. The local Dollar Generals have almost no phone items, and we don't have Family Dollar here. Tracfone eBay store might be the easiest way now.

Feedback Score
    Second thought is that retail stores like Target and Best Buy are harder to access right now. Target restricts entry, and Best Buy only has curbside pickup. The local Dollar Generals have almost no phone items, and we don't have Family Dollar here. Tracfone eBay store might be the easiest way now.
    I knew I ordered a dozen of those SIM packs on eBay for a reason!

When was that? When BYOPs first came out and it was hard to get hold of a SIM? Don't even know if they are still any good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    I knew I ordered a dozen of those SIM packs on eBay for a reason!

When was that? When BYOPs first came out and it was hard to get hold of a SIM? Don't even know if they are still any good.
    Are those the 2 carrier (no T-Mo) kits with TMFL? I have a few of these too, and decided to use a new style one on my last activation to not have any problems with VoLTE and such. Not sure if the oldies do work anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast