Thread: Free Stream TV device w/new line of service that Verizon offered recently - anyone do it? Sales tax?

Device(s)
    Samsung S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Free Stream TV device w/new line of service that Verizon offered recently - anyone do it? Sales tax?

Back in March, Verizon was offering a free Stream TV device when you got a new line (even on an existing plan). I ended up getting a new line in order to get a better price on a Samsung S10 (ported my old number out and then back in so I didn't lose it). I got a code but it did not work so I contacted Verizon CS via chat and the rep was going to submit the order but asked how I wanted to pay the sales tax. Since I didn't really need the device, I told him not to bother. I subsequently wondered whether the sales tax would get credited on the bill since the device was apparently free after a credit and that could also deduct the sales tax (or maybe not).

So I'm wondering if anyone here took advantage of this deal and whether you paid sales tax in the end. I may be seeming cheap, but paying $6 for something I really don't need and which will probably sit around unused isn't worth it to me.

For those unfamiliar with the unit, here is the link.

https://www.verizon.com/products/verizon-stream-tv/

Thanks for anyone who can offer info. I suppose if there is a similar deal that has been offered in the past for a different device, knowing how that worked could also be useful. Obviously for phones on DPP you pay the sales tax in full when you buy the phone so that is not relevant.

Feedback Score
    Weird. It’s a Google Chromecast in a Verizon box with an Ethernet jack.

I have a regular Chromecast that I got for free once while out to dinner at a conference with Google.

I’ve tried it a few different times over the years but never understood the utility as you can only cast.

It (mine at least) don’t support build in apps like my Roku’s and other “smart” content streaming devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterBill View Post
    Back in March, Verizon was offering a free Stream TV device when you got a new line (even on an existing plan). I ended up getting a new line in order to get a better price on a Samsung S10 (ported my old number out and then back in so I didn't lose it). I got a code but it did not work so I contacted Verizon CS via chat and the rep was going to submit the order but asked how I wanted to pay the sales tax. Since I didn't really need the device, I told him not to bother. I subsequently wondered whether the sales tax would get credited on the bill since the device was apparently free after a credit and that could also deduct the sales tax (or maybe not).

So I'm wondering if anyone here took advantage of this deal and whether you paid sales tax in the end. I may be seeming cheap, but paying $6 for something I really don't need and which will probably sit around unused isn't worth it to me.

For those unfamiliar with the unit, here is the link.

https://www.verizon.com/products/verizon-stream-tv/

Thanks for anyone who can offer info. I suppose if there is a similar deal that has been offered in the past for a different device, knowing how that worked could also be useful. Obviously for phones on DPP you pay the sales tax in full when you buy the phone so that is not relevant.
    I could have made you well over the $6 in the stock market in less than the time it took you to write this post. Lol

Device(s)
    Samsung S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    I could have made you well over the $6 in the stock market in less than the time it took you to write this post. Lol
    How much would you have made in the time you took to write the unnecessary reply?

PS the market was closed when I posted.